News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 03, 2015, 01:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 6647413 times)

Jocelyn

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25095 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:19 AM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???
It would have been- but when she tried saying that she'd made new friends at college and wanted someone else as her MOH, she got lectured that Cousin had been her life-long best friend (not true) and that Cousin had always dreamed of being her MOH, and how blood was thicker than water, etc. Keep in mind that these are the same women who had poisoned her relationship with Cousin by constantly talking about how beautiful she was. They were not about to acknowledge how cruel they had been in focusing on Cousin's beauty in front of a child who was constantly teased about her looks, to see that she might have a right to pick a MOH herself.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25096 on: January 17, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25097 on: January 17, 2014, 09:11:12 AM »
...    how blood was thicker than water   ...

I think in that family the blood had formed a clot.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #25098 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »
...    how blood was thicker than water   ...

I think in that family the blood had formed a clot.

That made my morning, gramma dishes. Totally going in the personal lexicon!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

mime

« Reply #25099 on: January 17, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25100 on: January 17, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)

Midge

« Reply #25101 on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

Ha! I'm 5'1, my hubby is 6.2. Everyone asked if I was going to wear, like 4 inch heels when we got married. If I had, I'd still be way shorter than him, AND miserable. I wore flats. I'm short. It's not a character flaw.

Midge

« Reply #25102 on: January 17, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Thank goodness she planned her pregnancy around your wedding so you would look good! Or shame on her for stealing some of your spotlight by being pregnant at your wedding!

Man, it's hard to think like a Bridezilla.

Friday

« Reply #25103 on: January 17, 2014, 12:43:16 PM »
I'm 5'8", my hubby is 5'4".  I always wear heels.  3-5 inches generally.

My FIL ordered me... yes, ordered, to wear flats at my wedding and to slouch.  I did indeed wear flats because ballet slippers looked wonderful and were comfy with my black dress (not first wedding!) but I did not slouch.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25104 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:17 PM »

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)

And I thank you too! I'm totally putting this in a fanfic.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #25105 on: January 17, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »

There was a situation in which I felt I had to choose a friend (who was having an emergency) over my family.  The family member who was negatively affected by my choice actually used the "Blood is thicker than water" line on me.  I replied "Exactly," as I left her home.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25106 on: January 17, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »

There was a situation in which I felt I had to choose a friend (who was having an emergency) over my family.  The family member who was negatively affected by my choice actually used the "Blood is thicker than water" line on me.  I replied "Exactly," as I left her home.
"That's why it makes that satisfying 'plop plop plop' as it drips off the kitchen table." So sayeth Heather Rose Jones.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LEMon

« Reply #25107 on: January 17, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
I'm 5'8", my hubby is 5'4".  I always wear heels.  3-5 inches generally.

My FIL ordered me... yes, ordered, to wear flats at my wedding and to slouch.  I did indeed wear flats because ballet slippers looked wonderful and were comfy with my black dress (not first wedding!) but I did not slouch.
Our photographer asked DH to slouch in the wedding photos.  Such a bad suggestion leads to sad (sorry they look that way) photos.

Bluenomi

« Reply #25108 on: January 17, 2014, 09:14:39 PM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Thank goodness she planned her pregnancy around your wedding so you would look good! Or shame on her for stealing some of your spotlight by being pregnant at your wedding!

She did actually plan it around my wedding but only so she wasn't due on my wedding day. She carries small so a lot of people didn't even notice she was pregnant!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25109 on: January 18, 2014, 01:02:37 AM »

She did actually plan it around my wedding but only so she wasn't due on my wedding day. She carries small so a lot of people didn't even notice she was pregnant!

Nobody plans their pregnancies.

They take a wild stab at it, and sometimes they get lucky. That's all.