Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5532219 times)

MissRose

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25095 on: January 17, 2014, 07:58:14 AM »
This morning the SS's are coming out with the snow covered roads including: the person who turned out a bit fast and nearly hit my car on the driver's side and came within a few feet of doing so, plus he gets bonus SS points for have most of his car windows covered in snow.

Then my mother calls me, mentions an issue with the copier/printer and that I should come look at it after work.  I am not a printer expert at all.  Perhaps I should say I get an on call fee of $40 an hour for calling me as I am walking into the office where I actually get paid to do tech support of a different nature.

Runningstar

« Reply #25096 on: January 17, 2014, 08:10:14 AM »
My mum is being a PA snowflake it seems (not that this is a news flash to me, but this time its very underhanded).

I share a house with my parents (it's my house, they are retired and live with me). I have repeatedly told my mum I don't like those plug-in mosquito vapour thingies. Maybe I'm being a snowflake myself about this, but I don't know what's in them, but I don't want to be breathing in unknown repellant chemicals for hours on end.

I had to drive home in the middle of the morning today because I had a warddrobe malfunction at work (my trouser button wasn't as firmly sewn on as I had hoped and it popped off). My parents are out and I dive into my room to change and notice that there is one of those mosquito repellant thingies plugged into the plug in my room.

Which means that my mum (knowing I really don't like those things), waits until I go to work, plugs one in and leaves it in all day and then unplugs it before I come home. Which means I've been breathing in those repellant chemicals I don't like while I sleep at nights. Thanks mum, thanks a bunch.
Oh boy.  That is very similar to my own mom.  Of course you wouldn't want insecticide (probably citronella type) in your room.  I get terrible headaches from things like that.  I'd be sure to address this with her and I might even go to the lock idea.  Things like this make me angry, because this type of game is not harmless necessarily and also causes further mistrust. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25097 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:15 AM »
My mum is being a PA snowflake it seems (not that this is a news flash to me, but this time its very underhanded).

I share a house with my parents (it's my house, they are retired and live with me). I have repeatedly told my mum I don't like those plug-in mosquito vapour thingies. Maybe I'm being a snowflake myself about this, but I don't know what's in them, but I don't want to be breathing in unknown repellant chemicals for hours on end.

I had to drive home in the middle of the morning today because I had a warddrobe malfunction at work (my trouser button wasn't as firmly sewn on as I had hoped and it popped off). My parents are out and I dive into my room to change and notice that there is one of those mosquito repellant thingies plugged into the plug in my room.

Which means that my mum (knowing I really don't like those things), waits until I go to work, plugs one in and leaves it in all day and then unplugs it before I come home. Which means I've been breathing in those repellant chemicals I don't like while I sleep at nights. Thanks mum, thanks a bunch.
Oh boy.  That is very similar to my own mom.  Of course you wouldn't want insecticide (probably citronella type) in your room.  I get terrible headaches from things like that.  I'd be sure to address this with her and I might even go to the lock idea.  Things like this make me angry, because this type of game is not harmless necessarily and also causes further mistrust.

It's things like this that would make me sure that I cooked my own food, did my own laundry, and basically cut them out of any of the social "taking care of each other" things that makes, y'know, a FAMILY.  I don't give my trust as easily once it's been abused.  To be honest, it would (for me) come down to two choices: treat them cordially but at a slight distance (like a roommate), or ask them to leave, because the thought would always be there of just what they would do to me that I specifically told them I didn't want done to me.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25098 on: January 17, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???

Depends on the family....some "close knit" families (well, ones where the older generation insists that this is a close knit family and FFFAAAMMMIIILLLEEE has cousins & other relatives in the bridal party because that's just who you have in the bridal party), it would be like getting married to yourself (you need TWO people to stand up as the happy couple, old fashioned people think that they should be opposite gendered genetically - really forward thinking people still think that you need more than one person, whatever genders the genes & minds might be).

I grew up four hours away from my YOUNGER cousins (junior bridesmaid age range - but in the 1970s they didn't have junior bridesmaids unless you were having a large wedding party), didn't have many long term friends due to moving a lot growing up (13 addresses by the time I was 18) and had my sister as my only attendant - the groom had his best friend as best man.  A year later we'd lost touch with the single guy but my sister is still my sister 38+ years later.  He'd grown up moving a lot, too - military family. 

The guy finished his second year at the local state university and went off to complete his degree at a more prestigious, well known, and EXPENSIVE school...never heard from him again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:18:55 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #25099 on: January 17, 2014, 09:13:19 AM »
^^^  Wouldn't it have just been easier not to have her cousin as part of the wedding party? ???
It would have been- but when she tried saying that she'd made new friends at college and wanted someone else as her MOH, she got lectured that Cousin had been her life-long best friend (not true) and that Cousin had always dreamed of being her MOH, and how blood was thicker than water, etc. Keep in mind that these are the same women who had poisoned her relationship with Cousin by constantly talking about how beautiful she was. They were not about to acknowledge how cruel they had been in focusing on Cousin's beauty in front of a child who was constantly teased about her looks, to see that she might have a right to pick a MOH herself.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #25100 on: January 17, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25101 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:12 AM »
...    how blood was thicker than water   ...

I think in that family the blood had formed a clot.

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #25102 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:49 AM »
...    how blood was thicker than water   ...

I think in that family the blood had formed a clot.

That made my morning, gramma dishes. Totally going in the personal lexicon!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

mime

« Reply #25103 on: January 17, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »
OT, but the actual saying is "The blood of the battlefield is thicker than the water of the womb." It means the exact opposite of how we use it today.

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #25104 on: January 17, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »

Thank you for sharing this; I've never heard this saying before but I will use it!

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Midge

« Reply #25105 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »
Someone needs to start an agency that supplies attendants to bridezillas who are only concerned about the look of their bridal party.  You know, maybe a set of matched blondes between 5'6" and 5'8", all size 6.  Don't let your fiance insist on his bald, 5'8" 300-lb brother for best man -- rent a 6' 195-lb dark-haired man.

I have an ex-friend who used to insist that when she got married, all of her bridesmaids had to be fatter and/or uglier than she was, so that she would look better by comparison.

I think I have very clear grasp of why she's an ex-friend. And that's not the first time I've heard someone say they want bridesmaids fatter/uglier/shorter then them to make them look thinner/prettier/taller. My BFF joked about how all but one of her bridesmaids was taller then her. But she didn't think we made her look shorter. She said her being short made her look short.

Ha! I'm 5'1, my hubby is 6.2. Everyone asked if I was going to wear, like 4 inch heels when we got married. If I had, I'd still be way shorter than him, AND miserable. I wore flats. I'm short. It's not a character flaw.

Midge

« Reply #25106 on: January 17, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »
When I got married, I cheated. I had no bridesmaids at all. I had Ex's nephew as ring bearer and my niece as flower girl. I didnt want to have to choose between my friends, and I flat out didnt want the drama that bridesmaids can bring. Plus I was cheap.  ;D

I had my skinnier cousin but she was 8 months pregnant at the time is that fixed that!

Thank goodness she planned her pregnancy around your wedding so you would look good! Or shame on her for stealing some of your spotlight by being pregnant at your wedding!

Man, it's hard to think like a Bridezilla.

Friday

« Reply #25107 on: January 17, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
I'm 5'8", my hubby is 5'4".  I always wear heels.  3-5 inches generally.

My FIL ordered me... yes, ordered, to wear flats at my wedding and to slouch.  I did indeed wear flats because ballet slippers looked wonderful and were comfy with my black dress (not first wedding!) but I did not slouch.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #25108 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

You're welcome.  At least my useless knowledge is getting some, well, use. :)

And I thank you too! I'm totally putting this in a fanfic.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #25109 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

There was a situation in which I felt I had to choose a friend (who was having an emergency) over my family.  The family member who was negatively affected by my choice actually used the "Blood is thicker than water" line on me.  I replied "Exactly," as I left her home.