Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5424704 times)

Joeschmo

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25155 on: January 25, 2014, 02:46:59 AM »
Spending $5000(or whatever amount) on a dress if the couple and/or family has that kind of money to spend doesn't mean the bride cares any more about the dress than the marriage and future spouse.  I'm glad everyone got such good deals but it's starting to sound pretty judgemental in here.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #25156 on: January 25, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »
Spending $5000(or whatever amount) on a dress if the couple and/or family has that kind of money to spend doesn't mean the bride cares any more about the dress than the marriage and future spouse.  I'm glad everyone got such good deals but it's starting to sound pretty judgemental in here.

Agree, also it's very off-topic.    It's just a personal choice how much to spend, and in my observation normally you get what you pay for.   If you're happy with that, then great.  Nothing particularly admirable about it unless it's all you can afford in which case it's very wise of you to stick to your budget.  (All general "you" of course). 
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #25157 on: January 25, 2014, 07:18:29 AM »
I have seen that commercial and it is terrible. You met the guy, became a couple, decided to marry and went through all that effort because of a garment?  ???

Maybe they do not know that bridal shops don't bother to check if you're actually engaged? I mean, you can just go out and buy a wedding dress if you want one that bad. My grandma has bought several, to fix up and resell but still she's bought several without having to get married. And Liz did it on 30 Rock.

In my area, you have to tell the salesperson your wedding date before they will let you try on dresses.

And in some stores, if they feel your wedding date is too far away they won't let you try on dresses, either.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25158 on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:13 AM »

Agree, also it's very off-topic.    It's just a personal choice how much to spend, and in my observation normally you get what you pay for.   If you're happy with that, then great.  Nothing particularly admirable about it unless it's all you can afford in which case it's very wise of you to stick to your budget.  (All general "you" of course).

In my case it was solely a matter of budget and what would be easy to pack into a suitcase, as I was flying out to DH's base and we were getting married in a courthouse.  I was very happy to find a dress I was very happy with for what I could afford on a college budget.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Momiitz

« Reply #25159 on: January 25, 2014, 10:39:41 AM »
Let's get back to the snowflake stories.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #25160 on: January 25, 2014, 04:00:03 PM »

Nah, $5000 is great if that's in your budget. I only wish it had been in mine, then perhaps I could have gotten one I really wanted.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25161 on: January 25, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
Grocery store Special Snowflake
1. I was turning down an aisle. Because of displays between the end caps and the refrigerators across from the ends of the aisle I had to make a pretty sharp turn. There were two people coming up the aisle. The person going the wrong way up the aisle says in a very ugly tone - I hope you don't drive your car that way. (If she had been on the right hand side of the aisle My way would have been clear.) The person on the right says to her, You just nearly ran me over.

2. A couple minutes later I've picked up something, put it in the basket, and am looking at my list (Which is on my phone in Grocery IQ app) to figure out the next thing I need. She comes down the empty aisle and snapps watch where you are going. I wasn't moving.

3. I'm at the spices section - I'm getting several for a new recipe. I look at my list pick two and find them, put them in the basket, check them off start looking for black pepper that they had relocated. She comes down the aisle and snaps why don't you put that phone down. There is a young boy I would say 7 or 8 standing with his parents - SS leaves and boy asks, "Why was that lady so rude to her (points at me)".

4. Checking out I hear her being very rude to the cashier. I stop and speak to the manager letting her know that the SS was on a tear and that the cashier probably hadn't done anything wrong.

Note - Paper and pencil list would take much more time and be more distracting. The app keeps a running total for me. It take me much longer to do that by hand.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

weeblewobble

« Reply #25162 on: January 25, 2014, 04:26:52 PM »
My friend said that she could not bear to listen to all her relatives talking about how beautiful Cousin was at her wedding, and she knew, from decades of experience, that they would say this to her face, and would pressure her to agree with them that Cousin was such a great beauty, while no one would comment about what a pretty bride she was. .

OK, I know it wasn't nice for the bride to pick a dress that wouldn't flatter the beautiful cousin, but how absolutely cruel for the family to not only make comparisons between the cousins but insist that the bride agree with them and talk about the Cousin's beauty.

CakeEater

« Reply #25163 on: January 25, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
And maybe this makes me a SS, but I did care what my wedding dress looked like, I did want my photos to be beautiful, and my wedding day really was the best single day of my life even now (8 years later). No-one at my wedding felt unwelcome, and I'm sure the vast majority had a good time. I don't think I'm 'sad' because of any of that.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #25164 on: January 25, 2014, 05:06:52 PM »
1. I was turning down an aisle. Because of displays between the end caps and the refrigerators across from the ends of the aisle I had to make a pretty sharp turn. There were two people coming up the aisle. The person going the wrong way up the aisle says in a very ugly tone - I hope you don't drive your car that way. (If she had been on the right hand side of the aisle My way would have been clear.) The person on the right says to her, You just nearly ran me over.

I never realised there were rules for which side of the aisle to stay on. I just stick with whichever side has the item I want. Guess I've been rude to people for years without realising it!

Iris

« Reply #25165 on: January 25, 2014, 08:18:44 PM »

I never realised there were rules for which side of the aisle to stay on. I just stick with whichever side has the item I want. Guess I've been rude to people for years without realising it!

IME people tend to stick to the 'driving' side. Around here, anyway, we push trolleys on the left and if we want something on the right we just leave the trolley on the left while we pick it up. Of course that's in an ideal world. When the supermarket gets crowded you just do your best and have lots of patience.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25166 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:33 PM »
I spent $22 on my wedding dress  :D My husband spent way more on a nice shirt and pants since he had to go to an overpriced big & tall store. Brides who make the wedding all about how they look are so missing the point.

I paid $60 for the fabric, and got exactly what I wanted.  My dress was a very simple pattern, except that the curves in the front yoke nearly made me swear.  Mr. Sirius wore his black suit with a black silk shirt and a white bow tie, and as far as I'm concerned he was the best looking thing there.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #25167 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
can we move the wedding dresses to a separate topic please

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25168 on: January 25, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #25169 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:12 PM »
A short one: Ma'am, please don't get huffy with me when I tell you that you'll have to stay with your kids during an R rated movie. It's the law, and I'm not going to become a felon just because you don't want to see Devil's Due.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter