Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5752527 times)

mumma to KMC

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25395 on: February 06, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
Stay at home moms have no dress code...although I have been known to joke that "in Texas, denim or jeans are never the worst choice".

Then I saw somebody wearing some worn, ripped jeans that made me change my mind....

At least they had a leotard & dance tights (or something similar) under them....the only thing that was holding those jeans up were the zipper, the waistband, and the pockets - because the keys were in one pocket and their cell phone in the other....

I was amazed that there wasn't a hole in the pockets that the phone could fall through....

In my area it's not uncommon to see women show up in pjs to collect their kids from school at the end of the day, and women who are well endowed clearly not wearing any *ahem* support.  Or dads showing up in t-shirts with offensive slogans and pants with waistbands that are at least a foot from their hips, let alone the natural waistline. 

I don't see that anymore but only because my eldest is in middle school so he gets bussed, my middle son walks on his own and the littlest one isn't even in prek but man when I did go I felt dressed up wearing jeans and an oversized sweatshirt.

There's a homeschool comic strip, and one week it showed the dad coming home from work to see the kids in pjs.  He asked the kids why they were in pjs, and they said, "Mom likes to call these our school uniforms."  Heh.  (For the record, the kids and I always get dressed.)

We get dressed too....even if it is just yoga pants for myself. :)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #25396 on: February 06, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »
I had a rash of snowflakes yesterday at work.

It started off with a tenant who got mad at me because the intercom buttons were cold. Gee, it is 20 degrees out, the buttons are metal, Yep, going to be cold! She got even madder at me when I told her that no, I was not going to figure out how to make them warm.

Later, I had a tenant (different one) call me from the library demanding that I tell the librarian that she can print paperwork for free. I didn’t know that it is my job to make the city library’s rules. I must say that my first thought was Yarnspinner would KILL me if I did that!  For one of the rare times, my brain was working fast and I replied back to her “You want me to tell the librarian that?  I give them a plastic card, they give me books. Not gonna screw my dealer! “ I think it must have come through the phone as I heard a burst of laughter from someone who was with her.

The other fun one I had was an applicant who demanded that I evict someone so that they can have the apartment.  Sorry, I am not going to make someone homeless so that you can have their apartment. I understand that you want a place but people just don’t move once they move in here, I only get 2-3 vacancies a year. Sadly, I get that one at least once a week!

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #25397 on: February 06, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »

It started off with a tenant who got mad at me because the intercom buttons were cold. Gee, it is 20 degrees out, the buttons are metal, Yep, going to be cold! She got even madder at me when I told her that no, I was not going to figure out how to make them warm.

Later, I had a tenant (different one) call me from the library demanding that I tell the librarian that she can print paperwork for free. I didn’t know that it is my job to make the city library’s rules. I must say that my first thought was Yarnspinner would KILL me if I did that!  For one of the rare times, my brain was working fast and I replied back to her “You want me to tell the librarian that?  I give them a plastic card, they give me books. Not gonna screw my dealer! “ I think it must have come through the phone as I heard a burst of laughter from someone who was with her.

The other fun one I had was an applicant who demanded that I evict someone so that they can have the apartment.  Sorry, I am not going to make someone homeless so that you can have their apartment. I understand that you want a place but people just don’t move once they move in here, I only get 2-3 vacancies a year. Sadly, I get that one at least once a week!

The bolded? Hilarious!!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:47:13 PM by jayhawk »

Yarnspinner

« Reply #25398 on: February 06, 2014, 02:43:06 PM »

Wulfie, I would NEVER kill you...but I WILL help you hide the tenant's body.....(yeah, I had a snow day and spent most of it watching a whole bunch of murder mysteries on the DVR.)

Chip2

« Reply #25399 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »
One place that I worked would let you wear jeans on Casual Friday if you'd made a charitable donation through the United Way (didn't matter which charity and it could be the minimum - I think $24 a year - $2 a month or $1 a pay period, as we got paid the first & 15th of the month). 

I would have had to BUY jeans to wear to Casual Friday - I think that I did have a denim skirt (you couldn't wear denim to work except on Casual Friday and *if* you'd donated through the United Way, period).  But I rather liked "dressing well" for work instead of wearing jeans & a t-shirt - I wore those at home to clean house or do yard work (when I couldn't get someone else to do the yard work - I'm so allergic to air born pollen that I really hate being outside around plants and have ever since I was about eight).

But there were people who WANTED to wear jeans and a t-shirt (company logo or plain with a pocket - the dress code was spelled out but so many of the co-workers apparently couldn't tell what the words longer than four letters meant).

I guess my declaring the last Friday of every month to be "No-Pants Friday" makes me a SS. Of course, I use that excuse to wear my kilt to work.   ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25400 on: February 06, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
On the way home tonight, I noticed the driver in the car in front of me doing something not required (or suggested) while driving.

First, applying blush/powder. Then eye shadow. Then mascara.  ::)

You're in central FL, right?  I recently moved here and am shocked and horrified by what I see around here, on the daily. Especially when the snow birds are here. *shudder*

Yes, it is very bad here. I think we are a magnet for bad drivers.

A good friend of mine dropped off his daughter at school, then was driving back home. While stopped at the light, a young man in a 4 door compact sedan rear ended friend's pickup. No damage to the pickup, but the car was not drivable.

The young man says to my friend that he was texting, but he was sorry he had hit him. My friend mentioned to him the two pedestrians immediately in front of the pickup, and that had friend not been there, he would have hit the pedestrians.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25401 on: February 06, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »
My sister was at a restaurant. The very elderly owner started having a heart attack. She told me that a tourtist starting snapping pictures of it happening  :o

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25402 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
DH and I are expecting a boy, the only worries I have is if he grows up to be a teenage boy like this lot.

Bombing into the pool into crowds, pushing lifeguards into the pool. Thanks to these boys, the pool gad to be closed on a 39C day.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:42:04 PM by Katana_Geldar »

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25403 on: February 06, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
My sister was at a restaurant. The very elderly owner started having a heart attack. She told me that a tourtist starting snapping pictures of it happening  :o

:o What on earth? Please tell me some sensible person called emergency services!

Dr. F.

« Reply #25404 on: February 06, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »

The bolded? Hilarious!!

*LIKE*

snowfire

« Reply #25405 on: February 06, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »

Wulfie, I would NEVER kill you...but I WILL help you hide the tenant's body.....(yeah, I had a snow day and spent most of it watching a whole bunch of murder mysteries on the DVR.)

Friends help you move...Real friends help you move bodies.  >:D  ;D  >:D

MissRose

« Reply #25406 on: February 07, 2014, 08:49:50 PM »
Not sure how to describe these but if anyone wants to give a name to some of the snowflakes i've encountered lately... Specialus Snowflakus Michiganus Driverus....

**The drivers who think its fun to tailgate when the weather is bad and more stopping distance is required

**Drivers who insist on driving posting speed limits in very bad conditions (poor visibility, snow, hard rain etc) and give dirty looks to those who prefer to be cautious and/or defensively.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25407 on: February 07, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »
How about the lady in the parking lot at work who came out into the main driveway without looking?  I know the snow banks are big but that means that you should cautiously pull out until you can see.  And you shouldn't have a basket so big that you can't see around it on the front passenger seat!

I mean, she didn't even look and I was right there!  I gave her a very long horn blast; she stopped, I went around her and then she backed up to let the two people who were behind me go.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25408 on: February 07, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
Not sure how to describe these but if anyone wants to give a name to some of the snowflakes i've encountered lately... Specialus Snowflakus Michiganus Driverus....

**The drivers who think its fun to tailgate when the weather is bad and more stopping distance is required

**Drivers who insist on driving posting speed limits in very bad conditions (poor visibility, snow, hard rain etc) and give dirty looks to those who prefer to be cautious and/or defensively.

The  "the postman" ....Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night ,ice  ,sleet  nor common sense nothing will stop them ....well except that ditch that did it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25409 on: February 07, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
How about the lady in the parking lot at work who came out into the main driveway without looking?  I know the snow banks are big but that means that you should cautiously pull out until you can see.  And you shouldn't have a basket so big that you can't see around it on the front passenger seat!

I mean, she didn't even look and I was right there!  I gave her a very long horn blast; she stopped, I went around her and then she backed up to let the two people who were behind me go.

Earlier this week I ran out to a store to get something while it was snowing and there was one guy going rather quickly over the wet pavement. I was so glad he was not coming towards me but did one of those pre-emptive cringes when you expect that someone's going to end up regretting their driving choices
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata