Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5392168 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25410 on: February 07, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »
How about the lady in the parking lot at work who came out into the main driveway without looking?  I know the snow banks are big but that means that you should cautiously pull out until you can see.  And you shouldn't have a basket so big that you can't see around it on the front passenger seat!

I mean, she didn't even look and I was right there!  I gave her a very long horn blast; she stopped, I went around her and then she backed up to let the two people who were behind me go.

Earlier this week I ran out to a store to get something while it was snowing and there was one guy going rather quickly over the wet pavement. I was so glad he was not coming towards me but did one of those pre-emptive cringes when you expect that someone's going to end up regretting their driving choices
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25411 on: February 07, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »
We've had some significant snow yesterday and today (reports say 7 to 8 inches of accumulation). I live in an area that typically gets no more than one snowfall each winter, and this is our second. Understandably, a lot of people are having trouble getting around, because the streets aren't really plowed (the city/state doesn't own an overwhelming amount of equipment, and snow has been falling pretty heavily today anyway), snow tires aren't terribly common and not everyone has chains, and a lot of people just don't really know how to drive in this kind of weather.

So there are a lot of things that could be interpreted as rather snowflakey (pun intended!) that I think most everyone is just tolerating because it's unusual circumstances, and getting out to take care of normal business (like going to work...) is not especially fun or easy in this kind of weather.

But I think the kicker for me today was the car that apparently decided it needed to both get in and then sit in a dedicated bus lane. The bus lane which is dedicated to very large and, in this weather, very crowded buses. On roads which were rather lacking in traction. The car's driver is extremely fortunate that the bus was able to stop before hitting the car, because that would not have ended well.

Fortunately, the bus did stop, the car did move after a few minutes, and we continued on our merry way without any further delays. But that could have been a really bad situation.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #25412 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
I used to play a Bb bass in a brass band.  This is an enormous instrument, bigger than a tuba.  He (his name was Arnie, after the esteemed former governor of California) lived in a hard plastic case, with two little wheels like a suitcase.  The whole shebang was about 1.5 metres long, 70cm wide and weighed nearly 20kg.  Maneuverable he was not.

That's such a great name for a Bb bass.  Because then, if somebody is looking at it and is puzzled, and says, "Is that a tuba?" you can say, in a perfect Arnold voice, "It's not a tuba!"

Love this....it's not a tuba. LOL! ;D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25413 on: February 09, 2014, 01:54:55 PM »
Maybe the bosses that think Jean days/passes are a reward spend a significant amount of time in elementary school staff meetings. I swear my coworkers will do anything for a Jeans Pass - and for a flip flop pass they would kill their own mothers.

Parade SS - Dad's company growing up had a sound truck in the shape of a 6 pack of Miller Beer. It was used at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Parade and it brought out the SS

• It is in my way move it. No this is where the officials told us to park
  • Let my kid sit on the top of it also. No the kids up here are the children of employees - let me correct that the well behave children of employees because there was one family banned due to their children's poor behavior.
  • YOU ARE CORRUPTING THE YOUTH OF AMERICA - You are in Texas - it is a rodeo - there will be beer but we aren't selling any
  • I'm going to report you to CPS for letting kids sit on top of the sound truck it is dangerous they will fall and kill themselves.
  • Sell me beer - Ok I get this one sort of. I can see why they would think they could buy beer if they weren't familiar with Texas law. You cannot sell beer from a vehicle capable of being driven. (That law may have changed with the food trucks)  The people we had a problem with were the ones that would not give up.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

misha412

« Reply #25414 on: February 09, 2014, 06:32:45 PM »
A couple instances of special snowflakes seen at two different stores this afternoon.

First store, older supermarket, rather narrow entry way. Come through the outer door, grab a cart, go in through inner doors. Or rather I tried to go through the inner doors. Two special snowflakes right inside the door. One lady had a large cart parked across one side of the entry way. She and another woman were standing beside the cart blocking the other side of the door, talking to each other. There was no going around them.

I waited a couple of seconds for one of them to notice me, but no luck. I said "excuse me". Apprently, didn't hear me. I said "excuse me" again, a bit louder. Finally, one of them noticed me and they moved the cart over enough for me and my cart to squeeze through. I noticed them still in the same spot a few minutes later. 

Parking lot of second store. Lot is pretty standard in the US. Main lane in front of store with parking aisles connecting. Each parking aisle has a stop sign, because the main lane has the right of way. I was in the main lane looking for a parking aisle with open spots. I had a large SUV driving ahead of me.

Lady in one of the side aisles drove up to the stop sign and did not stop. Did not hesitate. Did not do a rolling stop.  Did not seem to see the large SUV heading her way. She kept at the same speed she had been traveling in the parking aisle and drove right across the path of the said large SUV. The SUV driver had to hit his brakes hard to avoid a collision. The aisle lady didn't even seem to register that fact since she just kept on going.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25415 on: February 09, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
The SS author of this article went on a second date with a guy. He sent her an email the next day complimenting her looks. The author took offense and asked "By the way, I'm wondering if anything I said interested you? In other words, is there something about me that's not physical that you enjoy?" As you can guess, Miss SS has not received a reply from him since

http://thestir.cafemom.com/love_sex/167923/why_complimenting_me_on_a

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25416 on: February 09, 2014, 07:32:30 PM »
The SS author of this article went on a second date with a guy. He sent her an email the next day complimenting her looks. The author took offense and asked "By the way, I'm wondering if anything I said interested you? In other words, is there something about me that's not physical that you enjoy?" As you can guess, Miss SS has not received a reply from him since

I couldn't even finish reading that letter.  ::)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Library Dragon

« Reply #25417 on: February 09, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »
Oh my!  He compliments her smile and likes her natural smell. He's making it clear that she didn't have to put on a ton of makeup to be attractive to him. Her response is to be insulted and criticize him.  How sad.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #25418 on: February 09, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »

I don't think this is necessarily SS. Although asking for a compliment isn't exactly polite, I think that too many men DO  assume that liking a woman as a person is optional, so long as she's visually appealing to him. If all a guy wants to tell you is that you're HAWT, why not ask him if there's anything non-physical that he likes?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25419 on: February 09, 2014, 08:54:07 PM »
I think that liking someone's smile is actually very close to liking their personality.

Jocelyn

« Reply #25420 on: February 09, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
I don't think it is- there are celebrities who I think have an attractive smile, but I don't know anything about their personalities.
She says he made it clear from his first sighting of her that he found her attractive. I don't think after the 2nd date is too early to be wondering whether he finds anything about her interesting, or at all special, other than how her looks appeal to him.
But talking about how she smells? Ugh. Sounds like a dog sniffing you.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #25421 on: February 09, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
Agree she shouldn't have asked for a compliment and get so snippy about it. No doubt the guy was trying to be nice.

However, I don't think it's SS either, to hope that your date likes something more than your physical appearance. Lots of ways to compliment that would have indicated this - I had such a great time, I really enjoyed talking with you, stuff like that.

Sounds like they weren't a good match for each other.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25422 on: February 09, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »

I don't think this is necessarily SS. Although asking for a compliment isn't exactly polite, I think that too many men DO  assume that liking a woman as a person is optional, so long as she's visually appealing to him. If all a guy wants to tell you is that you're HAWT, why not ask him if there's anything non-physical that he likes?

That's a rather sweeping generalization  ??? I can't imagine it going over well if you'd said "too many women" act that way

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25423 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:52 PM »
I will confess there was a time when I got exasperated with DH as he really liked to shower me with compliments on my looks, though unlike the LW, it wasn't after the 2nd date but after we'd been together for a while and rather than asking for arrogant reasons, it was out of insecurity and low self esteem, which isn't much better, I'll grant you.

Jocelyn

« Reply #25424 on: February 09, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

That's a rather sweeping generalization  ??? I can't imagine it going over well if you'd said "too many women" act that way
Too many could mean 1 out of a million. Frankly, I don't think that this behavior is something we want to encourage more of. Would it be acceptable if women like a man after 2 dates because he spent a lot of money (although I've not known women who've issued that 'compliment' to a date). I don't think it's a compliment for either gender to say, 'Hey, you turn me on, and I'm willing to overlook who you are as a person, and how you're unique, for the sake of focusing on what turns me on.'