Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5414927 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25560 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »

Jersey Girl here...the first time you have to pump gas I assure you that you are convinced that you are convinced you are going to blow everything up!   Also our gas is cheapter and you don't have to pump it..I can see why one would not want to have to pay more to pump it yourself!

I need that t-shirt (another NJ resident).  :)

I need one too!

KB

« Reply #25561 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:32 PM »
For those people who struggle to remember which side of the car your petrol door is, I suggest getting a sticker (preferably an eye-catching yellow one or the letter 'P' something) and stick it to the relevant side of your dashboard, or the side of your petrol gauge. That way you have a visual clue where it is.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #25562 on: February 14, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
There's a little arrow, I learnt that here, on another thread.

Victoria

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #25563 on: February 14, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
Can we get back to SS stories? The gas stuff is taking over the thread.

Today's SS- Guy called a government agency to complain that he couldn't find a lawyer. The agency in question has nothing to do with law or lawyers, other than having a few on staff. Why is he a SS? He is an Australian-in Australia. The government agency? Is in Washington, DC. No, they cannot help you find a defense attorney when you are in NSW!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25564 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:20 PM »
That is a BRIDGE???   :o
Low water bridges are common in both the Texas Hill Country and West Texas.

In the Hill Country they go over small streams/Creeks that are probably between ankle and mid thigh deep at that point. They are designed so that flood waters will flow over them and hopefully not be damage by debris.

I went to Camp Arrowhead the (first term) summers of 78 and 79 (I think I was a sub deb the first year and JR deb 2nd). During the 2nd term of 78 there was huge flooding in the Hill Country. I remember watching the news as those helicopters with 2 sets of blades and long body air dropped supplies to the camp. When we went back the next summer you could still see the debris up in the trees. Daddy was 6' 6" tall. He stood under one of the trees and held a 6 foot pole from the RV up over his head with his arm fully extended. The debris was a good deal higher up than the end of the pole. The low water bridge into the camp had been undamaged on the top, but had to be replaced because the bottom of the creek had been dug out around the supports.

In West Texas the go over creek beds that are dry, unless you get a gully washer there or up stream then the water rushes down.

I was "raised" on stories of people who did not heed warnings and tried to cross these during floods, only to be swept away and drowned. The reason I always pay attention to locals warnings.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #25565 on: February 14, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

Jersey Girl here...the first time you have to pump gas I assure you that you are convinced that you are convinced you are going to blow everything up!   Also our gas is cheapter and you don't have to pump it..I can see why one would not want to have to pay more to pump it yourself!

I need that t-shirt (another NJ resident).  :)

I need one too!

I want one too! If I wore it here in KY, I would be considered a Special Snowflake.  ;D

Addy

« Reply #25566 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
Ooh, I just remembered an SS sighting that happened a few years back.

I worked for a church as a janitor. On Saturdays I cleaned the church office. The first Mass of the weekend was Saturday at 4:30 in the afternoon.

One Saturday, I'm working away when I hear the church bell ringing. I head outside to find an SS is by the front door of the church ringing the bell. I walk over to see what's up and she says "can you unlock this door, we've been waiting all day."

It was 3:00 pm.

Never mind the fact that she could have walked over to the office and knocked on the door to ask me politely. She actually unhooked the bell pull to use it to summon me like I'm Jeeves the butler. And Mass didn't start for another hour and a half!

Library Dragon

« Reply #25567 on: February 15, 2014, 05:41:58 PM »
This is a combo of SS and confirmation of her PD.

She called the business manager and asked when she would get her W2 (form needed to file income tax). Business manager apologizes and tells her it was mailed, but she would send another. While she is opening the form on her computer SS states that she received the other form she sent. What other form.

SS: "You know form 1234."

Manager: "Form 1234? Wait is that in a box that says FICA?"

Ss: "Yes and why didn't you send my W2?"

Manager: "That's not the form number, but the Federal tax you paid."

Manager goes through the firm in SS's hand and confirms all the boxes and dollar amounts.  She even gets SS to confirm that there is a large W2 on the bottom.

SS: "Yes, but why didn't you send me my W2 form?"

Granted, it's not one little slip, but multiple copies of the W2 on page for federal, state, and personal records. Manager spent 30 minutes on the phone and could still never convince her she had the form in her hand.

SS is also upset because employee with thyroid cancer won't return her calls. SS had called and screamed at employee because she wasn't on her first to know list. SS also told her that the diagnosis was wrong and she didn't need surgery.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #25568 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45:15 PM »
SS: Well, hell, I'm E! The light is on!! And it's been on for awhile! I can't pump my own gas! I mean...do I look like someone who knows how to pump gas?
Me: Um...(Well, you're driving a car so I'd assume yes but clearly...no?)
SS: Screw it, I'm just gonna call triple A.
Me: Ok great, sounds like you have a plan, have a nice day!

How'd you like to be the AAA operator taking that call?

"So you say you're at Bob's Gas Station... Parked in front of one of the pumps... "
I suspect that this SS will continue to complain, passive-aggressively, until someone offers to pump  her gas for her. Which she was expecting the OP to do...and probably sat there grumbling after the OP walked away about what a rude and unhelpful young woman she was.

exitzero

« Reply #25569 on: February 15, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
The church story reminded me of a time when I was doing tours at an historic church.  A woman showed up at 4:00 on a Saturday, demanding to know where everyone was. (And I mean DEMANDING)

Me:  ???

Her: Why isn't anyone here for the 4:00 Mass?

Me: There is no 4:00 Mass, as a matter of fact, there is no Mass at all. This is not a Catholic church. There will be a service tomorrow if you would like to come back.

Her: That is RIDICULOUS! ALL churches have 4:00 Masses.

This went back and forth for awhile with me, the other tour guides, and her. She would not believe that there was not a Mass. I guess she thought we were hiding the people under the seats or something.

When we told her that there were two Catholic churches about a mile in either direction, she yelled at us some more because that was TOO FAR and she didn't have a car.

She finally left, literally mutter under her breath the whole time that she never HEARD of a church that did not have a 4:00 Mass.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:51:32 PM by exitzero »

Jocelyn

« Reply #25570 on: February 15, 2014, 08:01:18 PM »

My dad taught me to change a tire as a condition of learning to drive.
I had to learn as part of Driver's Ed.  Never actually did it, though.  I've always just called AAA or some gallant gentleman pulled in behind me to assist.   
[/quote]
My father had a job that required a great deal of highway driving. One night he was coming home, and drove past a stalled car; only after he got past did he realize it was the car of our next-door neighbor. He turned around and went back and as he came up behind her again, another man stopped and was trying to talk to her. When Dad walked up, she told the guy that she didn't need help, Dad was there. Dad could tell she was terribly upset, and after the other driver had driven off, she got out of her car and started crying on his shoulder. Apparently the other driver had stopped, and had tried to get her to ride in his car to the truck stop at the next exit. She had lied and told him someone was coming, and he drove off...and of course it scared her out of her wits when he circled around and came back and started pressuring her to come with him. I don't remember what was wrong with her car...but if she'd been out of it, trying to change a tire, it would have made it far easier for the creepy guy to abduct her. (of course, this was before the days of cell-phones).

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25571 on: February 16, 2014, 01:00:19 AM »

My dad taught me to change a tire as a condition of learning to drive.
I had to learn as part of Driver's Ed.  Never actually did it, though.  I've always just called AAA or some gallant gentleman pulled in behind me to assist.   
My father had a job that required a great deal of highway driving. One night he was coming home, and drove past a stalled car; only after he got past did he realize it was the car of our next-door neighbor. He turned around and went back and as he came up behind her again, another man stopped and was trying to talk to her. When Dad walked up, she told the guy that she didn't need help, Dad was there. Dad could tell she was terribly upset, and after the other driver had driven off, she got out of her car and started crying on his shoulder. Apparently the other driver had stopped, and had tried to get her to ride in his car to the truck stop at the next exit. She had lied and told him someone was coming, and he drove off...and of course it scared her out of her wits when he circled around and came back and started pressuring her to come with him. I don't remember what was wrong with her car...but if she'd been out of it, trying to change a tire, it would have made it far easier for the creepy guy to abduct her. (of course, this was before the days of cell-phones).
[/quote]
I may have posted this before. Dad was in the beer business in Texas. When we were in West Texas his territory was the equivalent of something between 5 -10 of the smallest US States. A large section of it was completely dry. It was illegal for Dad's trucks to stop in those areas.

Also in Texas beer is a cash on the barrel head business. Stores, restaurants, and bars have to pay in cash for their deliveries, no checks no credit*. The only exception is made for military bases - in part because the distributor has to subtract all the state taxes paid from the barley seed to the beer. So the trucks generally are forbidden to stop people in distress for fear that it is a ruse to rob the trucks.

Dad had a woman call and rant and complain because on of his trucks didn't stop to help her in a 100% dry area. The driver had called in that a car seemed to be broken down and DPS was contacted and sent help. She just couldn't understand why the driver wouldn't risk a massive fine, loss of his licence and being robbed to stop and help her.

*Law may have changed in the years since Dad died but was the law then.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25572 on: February 17, 2014, 01:29:56 PM »
I was at an RV show. After taking pictures of the living room & bathroom of one RV, I went to the doorway of the bedroom for a few more snaps. There were four people on the right side of the room (near the foot of the horizontal bed). I was going to wait a minute or two for them to finish their viewing before taking pictures. But then I realized after a bit they were just gossiping about "lol You know our friend Jimmy, right ? He did the dumbest thing. It's sooo funny" and didn't plan to move any time soon. So I aimed my camera at the left side of the room to get what pictures I could, at an angle that was obviously away from the 4 people.

After the first shot, they all stopped talking & watched me. I then took one more picture (again, facing away from them so they weren't in the pictures). As I walked away, one woman snapped "Did you just take pictures of us ?" I said "No, my camera was faced down to the left side." "Well, you still should've asked us to sign a photo release  >:( " These were not the RV owners / vendors, btw

wildkitty

« Reply #25573 on: February 17, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
I know of one in Michigan. Its in a small town.

If it's the one in a northern Michigan ski town, I worked there when I was 16 years old. ;) I pumped gas, checked/added oil and other fluids.

MrTango

« Reply #25574 on: February 17, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
I know of one in Michigan. Its in a small town.

If it's the one in a northern Michigan ski town, I worked there when I was 16 years old. ;) I pumped gas, checked/added oil and other fluids.

Near the "Suicide Bowl"?