Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5079388 times)

wildkitty

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25575 on: February 17, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
I know of one in Michigan. Its in a small town.

If it's the one in a northern Michigan ski town, I worked there when I was 16 years old. ;) I pumped gas, checked/added oil and other fluids.

MrTango

« Reply #25576 on: February 17, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

If it's the one in a northern Michigan ski town, I worked there when I was 16 years old. ;) I pumped gas, checked/added oil and other fluids.

Near the "Suicide Bowl"?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25577 on: February 17, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
I was at an RV show. After taking pictures of the living room & bathroom of one RV, I went to the doorway of the bedroom for a few more snaps. There were four people on the right side of the room (near the foot of the horizontal bed). I was going to wait a minute or two for them to finish their viewing before taking pictures. But then I realized after a bit they were just gossiping about "lol You know our friend Jimmy, right ? He did the dumbest thing. It's sooo funny" and didn't plan to move any time soon. So I aimed my camera at the left side of the room to get what pictures I could, at an angle that was obviously away from the 4 people.

After the first shot, they all stopped talking & watched me. I then took one more picture (again, facing away from them so they weren't in the pictures). As I walked away, one woman snapped "Did you just take pictures of us ?" I said "No, my camera was faced down to the left side." "Well, you still should've asked us to sign a photo release  >:( " These were not the RV owners / vendors, btw
They should have gone the minute they saw your camera.

wildkitty

« Reply #25578 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:13 PM »

Near the "Suicide Bowl"?

Coincidently enough, no, but my husband grew up 1/2 mile from Suicide. His grandfather jumped there back in the day.

MrTango

« Reply #25579 on: February 18, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
An SS story (and Darwin Award attempt) that happened this morning not too far from where I live:

From the article, "Police say the train crossing lights are arms were working but the driver tried to get around the crossing arms."

URL goes to a news report video with text story below:  http://www.kare11.com/story/local/2014/01/01/5589193/?storyid=5589193

laughtermed

« Reply #25580 on: February 18, 2014, 10:10:26 PM »

*I asked my soon-to-be 18 yo son if he minded taking me to Sam's Club as I only needed one thing. After I put my tenth item in the cart, he mildly protested with "I thought you said you were only getting one thing?" I replied, deadpan, "When a woman tells you she's only picking up one thing, she is ALWAYS lying." We both laughed.  ;D And yes I know men are equally guilty of that.
"
What my daughter did when I was going to Costco (same as Sam's Club) for "just one thing " was to forbid me from using a cart. You don't need a cart, Mom, if you were getting just one thing!  So I was limited to what I could carry. :-)

The story makes me chuckle. I recall when my son was 4 I took him to Walmart. Soon he rapidly pointed out several toys he wanted. I replied, "Son, if I got you everything you wanted each time we go to the store, we'd have to get at least 2 houses to hold it all." He answered why not? An older lady in the same aisle overheard our little chat and was giggling.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #25581 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:51 PM »
Saw a post on facebook, came up on my newsfeed as it was by a friend of a friend.    The lady was posting about how she and 3 friends had visited a restaurant for lunch with their 1 year old children (4 adults, 4 children) and the kids made a bit of mess as kids do.   They apologised to the waiter and apparently he said it was no problem, and commented that he wasn't very busy anyway.   After they finished and were walking out the owner of the restaurant accosted them and basically was quite nasty, telling them never to come back and asking if they would leave "their house in that state" and generally upsetting them all. 

Up until here I was sort of possibly on her side - it sounded kind of like my worst nightmare coming true.    I'm always paranoid about one day meeting one of those child-hating people who are supposedly out there (according to what I read on the internet) despite the fact that in real life everybody I meet is polite and friendly and welcomes my son with open arms.

...Except that she also posted a photo along with the status, which was presumably intended to support her case.   The floor was filthy.   Napkins, chips, slices of bread, all sorts of rubbish all over the floor under and around the table.   I was horrified!    Yes, my 1 year old makes a little more mess than most adults would, but I always pick up any big things he drops straight away.     I can't believe 4 grown adults thought it was remotely acceptable to leave anywhere in that state.   Disgusting.  And then naming and shaming the restaurant as if it was their fault.   I guess they could say "but the waiter told us it was ok!" but seriously what did they expect him to say?  It's a waiters job to be polite he can't exactly tell them to clean up!   Sad that they are too SS to feel ashamed of their behaviour, and will clearly do the same thing again in future.  And that's exactly the type of SS parents who make me paranoid in public that others will judge me and my family for their horrible behaviour, despite the fact we would never ever consider that ok.   >:(
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25582 on: February 19, 2014, 07:24:24 AM »
Yikes that is really SS to leave that much behind! I try to pick up after my 2 year old, as much as possible and would be very embarrassed to leave a restaurant like that!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

kategillian

« Reply #25583 on: February 19, 2014, 07:51:40 AM »
And, honestly, what would they expect the server to say before they played the bill and tipped him? As a server myself, I'm happy to say that this kind of behavior is rare, I've even had parents ask me for a broom so they could finish cleaning.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25584 on: February 19, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »
That is so over the top bad manners, as a parent, I am appalled.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25585 on: February 19, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »
I was at an RV show. After taking pictures of the living room & bathroom of one RV, I went to the doorway of the bedroom for a few more snaps. There were four people on the right side of the room (near the foot of the horizontal bed). I was going to wait a minute or two for them to finish their viewing before taking pictures. But then I realized after a bit they were just gossiping about "lol You know our friend Jimmy, right ? He did the dumbest thing. It's sooo funny" and didn't plan to move any time soon. So I aimed my camera at the left side of the room to get what pictures I could, at an angle that was obviously away from the 4 people.

After the first shot, they all stopped talking & watched me. I then took one more picture (again, facing away from them so they weren't in the pictures). As I walked away, one woman snapped "Did you just take pictures of us ?" I said "No, my camera was faced down to the left side." "Well, you still should've asked us to sign a photo release  >:( " These were not the RV owners / vendors, btw

Seriously? They wanted a photo release for being in the way of you taking personal pictures?

I suspect that they somehow have the idea that if they hang around commercial areas like trade shows, they can make their fortune out of photo releases. That's probably why they didn't move - they wanted to be in your picture, hoping it was for promotional purposes rather than personal, because they thought there might be money in it for them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sunbeem

« Reply #25586 on: February 19, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Non native as not born in the US or not native to the area.

I still don't know why it was relevant. IMO if it's not relevant to know their race/nationality, then it's racism.

I strongly disagree.  As this thread, and especially this category (off-topic discussions/coffee break) largely revolves about sharing experiences, it is perfectly normal for people to tell stories and give descriptive details.  Observing ethnically-identifying details is no worse than mentioning what shoe color someone was wearing, or what color/make/model of vehicle cut you off in traffic, or what hairstyle a crazy SS in Starbucks had, etc.  This thread is for story-telling ("Special Snowflake Stories; good stories have details.  IF someone states or implies that certain ethnicity=bad, that would be racism.  But providing details is not racism. 

Let me put it this way... if their ethnicity is irrelevant, then why would gender, age, numbers, location be relevant? The whole story could be boiled down to "People were blocking other people's access." 

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #25587 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
The only thing that I can think of is that most Western cultures deal with "standing in line" as a part of the culture.  "Cutting in line" is understood as not a good character trait and will get you either yelled at or considered an inconsiderate bacon-fed whatever of a knave.

Some cultures in more high density population centers NOT in the Western culture have NO idea what "standing in line" means and it is a cultural tradition to work your way through the crowd of passerby to get in front of the seller so you can get YOUR stuff (meal, shopping, dry cleaning, whatever).  They don't "see" a line - they see a lot of passerby who are standing around but are still obstacles to be gotten around to get to the seller/cashier or whatever they are trying to get.

They are not being bacon fed whatevers - they are following their cultural expectation - but all the Westerners standing in line are going to be cussing out the ignorant foreigners who don't even notice that they are cutting in line because they don't USE lines back home.

And those Westerners going to that location as tourists are going to be sadly tossed about as they try to find a line to stand in while the locals are trying to get by the weirdoes who are standing in place instead of getting to where they are going so that they can relieve the congestion on the walkway or road....I've never been there, but I understand that "traffic laws" are also regarded differently in the same locations.  Not that there aren't Western SSs who ignore laws if they think it will get them where they want to be ninety seconds faster....

They are SS because they should know the local laws, customs, and cultural expectation - so they are ignoring them.  The foreigners may be working from a different set of expectations, customs, and possibly legal traditions - so expecting them to know, bone deep, what they are doing is a bit like wearing blinders to make it easier to ignore the differences that do make a difference.  The cultural chains that bind invisibly but shape our behavior without our even thinking about it - or in some cases - being able to think about it unless you KNOW that there are fields of study on those very differences (anthropology, sociology, psychology, and many of the so called "soft sciences").

Note - my training is in sociology and I've been told since childhood that I don't think like everyone else.  I still don't know if this is good or bad...but it is different and some people do think that different = bad.  Or at least different = not good.  And not good = bad....so I've been yelled at a few times & had to be told why I was getting yelled at.

Still don't understand why it is not good to dislike football....but I grew up in West Texas and it could be compared to heresy in the Middle Ages - it may not be against church doctrine - but it is NOT encouraged!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:29:46 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25588 on: February 19, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
I was at a restaurant where you get your food and sit yourself.  There is a big dining area, but they open a "side room" during peak hours.  During down time, they close the side room with a metal sign standing in the middle of the doorway.  I saw a family look at the sign and just walked around it into the room.  Now the workers have to clean again.  Sadly I'm sure it's not the first time it's happened, and the cleaners doesn't appear to speak much English and I'm sure they think it's just easier to clean than confront.  When I went up to get a drink refill, I did mention to the cashier that people went into the closed area, but I don't know if anything was done or if they just let it go.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:26:35 PM by rose red »

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #25589 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
And, honestly, what would they expect the server to say before they played the bill and tipped him? As a server myself, I'm happy to say that this kind of behavior is rare, I've even had parents ask me for a broom so they could finish cleaning.

My mother would ask for a broom to sweep up if my little sister made a mess, although Sis didn't do it often, as she was taught not to throw her food. But you know how it is - even toddlers with the best manners can have mishaps.  I've mopped more than one table due to someone capsizing a glass or a cup.