Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5303297 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25635 on: February 24, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.
I think under those circumstances, you are entitled to say "Honey, please be careful.  If you step on our feet again you could fall and hurt yourself."  And if you spoke a little louder than usual, well, the parents MIGHT get the message.

We kept moving back, but I did not feel it was my job to remind the parents to parent their child.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25636 on: February 24, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
Quote from: kherbert
Sounds like our idiot neighbors (2 different houses) that always wanted me punished for stopping their bully sons from beating up kids younger than them. The fact the victims and I were female meant we had no right to stop them.

Huh?

Because you're a woman you need to let men beat you up?

That's a horrendous mindset, going beyond Special Snowflake and into simply "evil."

Rob
Ever heard the phrase "boys will be boys?"  That's exactly what it means.  Boys/men can do whatever they please, because that's what being a boy/man is about.   ::)   And girls just need to learn to accept that, even if they ARE hobbling into the house crying and bleeding from scraped knees and hands because they've pushed her down. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Shalamar

« Reply #25637 on: February 24, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Not sure if this counts as SS, but it sure annoyed me.

My husband and I wanted to buy a few things from Safeway.  Their express line asked for "15 items or less."  We counted - we had 14.  Great!  So we got in the line.

Cashier:  This is the EXPRESS line.
Me:  Yes, we know.
Cashier:  You're only allowed up to 15 ITEMS.
Me:  That's okay; we have 14 items.
Cashier:  I said 15 ITEMS OR LESS!
Me:  But ... 14 IS less than 15 ... oh, never mind.

We got into a different line.  I'm now sorry that I didn't complain to the manager.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:54:01 PM by Shalamar »

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25638 on: February 24, 2014, 12:52:45 PM »
Sounds like our idiot neighbors (2 different houses) that always wanted me punished for stopping their bully sons from beating up kids younger than them. The fact the victims and I were female meant we had no right to stop them.

Huh?

That's a horrendous mindset, going beyond Special Snowflake and into simply "evil."

Rob
Ever heard the phrase "boys will be boys?"  That's exactly what it means.  Boys/men can do whatever they please, because that's what being a boy/man is about.   ::)   And girls just need to learn to accept that, even if they ARE hobbling into the house crying and bleeding from scraped knees and hands because they've pushed her down.

To quote Reba "Oh I've heard it, just never met anyone stupid enough to believe it" except for I actually have.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25639 on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:43 PM »

Huh?

Rob

To quote Reba "Oh I've heard it, just never met anyone stupid enough to believe it" except for I actually have.

I like Reba. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Cherry91

« Reply #25640 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:11 PM »

Huh?

Rob

I like Reba. :)

A neighbour once tried the "Boys will be boys" excuse on my mother after her son tried to push me off my bike while we were on a very solid driveway (if he'd managed to tip me, it would have seriously hurt).

My mother replied "And mother's will be mothers, and they will defend their children from harm from boys who should know better, as harshly as they have to."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25641 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »
Not sure if this counts as SS, but it sure annoyed me.

My husband and I wanted to buy a few things from Safeway.  Their express line asked for "15 items or less."  We counted - we had 14.  Great!  So we got in the line.

Cashier:  This is the EXPRESS line.
Me:  Yes, we know.
Cashier:  You're only allowed up to 15 ITEMS.
Me:  That's okay; we have 14 items.
Cashier:  I said 15 ITEMS OR LESS!
Me:  But ... 14 IS less than 15 ... oh, never mind.

We got into a different line.  I'm now sorry that I didn't complain to the manager.

i WOULD love to unleash Snarky on this cashier.

"Okay, stop me when I get to fifteen then.  ::First item goes on belt:: One... ::Second item goes on belt::  Two... (fast forward)  ...fourteen.  How about that?  I guess we have LESS than FIFTEEN.  Wow, huh?"

I wouldn't (because I'm a scaredy-cat when it comes to confrontation), but this is one time I would gladly let Snarky out of her cage!

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #25642 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
I am going to nominate my cousin for this SS section.  She hosted a baby shower on Saturday for her son's gf.  We all received beautiful imprinted invitations a month ago and RSVP'd to an email account.  There was no registry information listed and the invite stated parents-to-be were not going to find out gender ahead of time.  The shower was billed as a luncheon at a really nice, newly renovated Grange hall not too far from my home.  Great.  Sounds like a pleasant afternoon.
This is cousin's 1st grandchild and to she really outdid herself, to say the least.
Lunch was served immediately upon arrival and it was an impressive spread of sandwiches, meatballs, all manner of veggies, fruit, dips, crackers, chips..you name it, it was there.  There was enough food on the buffet to easily feed an army.
Then the mother to be arrived and was given a tiara and Mom-To-Be sash to wear and cousin plated her lunch and served her.  We then discovered that Mom-to-Be is only about 5 months along.  You really could not tell she was pregnant to be honest, she was wearing a slightly loose fitting top and a long skirt.  Seemed awfully early to have a baby shower to me, most showers I've been to the Mom is much further along - 7-9 months usually but, I figured, maybe they just want to start getting prepared and being this is their first they were just eager and excited or wanted to plan accordingly for what they would need to purchase?
Next came games - 7 in all.  1.) How well do you know Mom  2.)  How well do you know Dad  3.)  Guess circumference of pregnant belly.  4.)  A word scramble  5.)  A Find-A-Word game  6.)  A diaper the stuffed bear "race"  7.)  Bingo 
Then came the "money grab" portion of the afternoon - $1 to buy a raffle ticket.  money to parents and a small door prize to winnner.  $1 to guess gender of baby.  You put your $ in a blue bank or a pink bank.  Winner to be determined later.  $1 to guess baby's date of birth.  Again, winner to be determined later.  The parents would keep the money and the winners were promised a small prize - after the actual birth.  It did not appear too many people were up for these raffles.
Then a basket of blank envelopes were passed around and everyone was asked to - you guessed it - address your own!  An envelope was selected and the winner got a small prize.
Gifts were then opened.  This wasn't too painful, there was only about 20 people in attendance so it moved along pretty smoothly.
3 hours later the cake was cut and those left standing went home - exhausted.   :D
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #25643 on: February 24, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
Oh my, 3 hours, I would have never lasted.  After an hour I am antsy to get moving, WOW !

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25644 on: February 24, 2014, 04:11:34 PM »
By doing that, they covered up the names of all the flavours (there are about 20 or so different kinds). So I couldn't see to order (was going for non-standard flavours which change week to week).

I didn't feel comfortable saying anything to the kids because, well, that's the parent's job.

Well, it's the parent's job to say, "We don't block the way," etc.

But you can certainly speak to the children to say, "Could I ask you to let me see the signs? I have to pick my flavor."

Children are people--speak to them exactly the way you'd speak to a grownup: "Excuse me, I need to see the sign that's behind you."
"I'm so sorry, could I ask you to step aside so I can see the sign for a moment?"

Too many people think that the only way to speak to children is to boss them around or scold them or "instruct" them.

Not true. Just ask them for a favor/assistance/etc. exactly the way you'd ask a grownup. Same tone of voice, even--not sickly sweet or stern.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #25645 on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
There was a couple  driving SS.
Yesterday I was walking into the parking lot to the local grocery store. I walked off the curb onto the pavement, after making sure no cars were coming. Soon after a car comes speeding in. And I mean speeding. Normally to turn into a parking lot, you slow down. This guy didn't. And I am a very very lucky person, that I didn't get hit.

Today, I went over to the ATM to get money, and then was crossing the cross walk. Something told me to stop and not cross. Glad I listened to the voice in my head. The woman didn't stop, and because of how the walk is set up (going one way with a divider and then you can drive the other way) she used it to make a U-turn. O.o

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #25646 on: February 24, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
We were waiting at the customer service desk, while someone was in front of us. The couple in line ahead of us had a very young child, and they stood with their backs to her, which was a little odd, then didn't notice that she kept twirling in circles and stepped on my feet and my son's feet. All that time (10 minutes), the parents paid no attention to her.
I think under those circumstances, you are entitled to say "Honey, please be careful.  If you step on our feet again you could fall and hurt yourself."  And if you spoke a little louder than usual, well, the parents MIGHT get the message.

We kept moving back, but I did not feel it was my job to remind the parents to parent their child.

It's not. But it is right to tell someone who is hurting you, that they are hurting you. If their parents take it as telling them how to parent their child, so be it. As they say, "if the shoe fits..." A loud, sharp "ouch" usually does the trick when a child is stepping on my feet.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25647 on: February 24, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
There was a really nasty accident yesterday in the Baltimore area, caused by a driving SS.  SS t-boned an SUV hard enough to send it flying into the air, where it landed on two other cars.  One person killed at the scene, one critically injured, one seriously injured.  Why was this an SS accident?  Because it was in a residential area, with a posted speed limit of 30mph.   (48kph.)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

nuit93

« Reply #25648 on: February 24, 2014, 07:22:44 PM »
There was a really nasty accident yesterday in the Baltimore area, caused by a driving SS.  SS t-boned an SUV hard enough to send it flying into the air, where it landed on two other cars.  One person killed at the scene, one critically injured, one seriously injured.  Why was this an SS accident?  Because it was in a residential area, with a posted speed limit of 30mph.   (48kph.)

*jawdrop*

How fast did they have to be going to do that?

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #25649 on: February 24, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
I am going to nominate my cousin for this SS section.  She hosted a baby shower on Saturday for her son's gf.  We all received beautiful imprinted invitations a month ago and RSVP'd to an email account.  There was no registry information listed and the invite stated parents-to-be were not going to find out gender ahead of time.  The shower was billed as a luncheon at a really nice, newly renovated Grange hall not too far from my home.  Great.  Sounds like a pleasant afternoon.
This is cousin's 1st grandchild and to she really outdid herself, to say the least.
Lunch was served immediately upon arrival and it was an impressive spread of sandwiches, meatballs, all manner of veggies, fruit, dips, crackers, chips..you name it, it was there.  There was enough food on the buffet to easily feed an army.
Then the mother to be arrived and was given a tiara and Mom-To-Be sash to wear and cousin plated her lunch and served her.  We then discovered that Mom-to-Be is only about 5 months along.  You really could not tell she was pregnant to be honest, she was wearing a slightly loose fitting top and a long skirt.  Seemed awfully early to have a baby shower to me, most showers I've been to the Mom is much further along - 7-9 months usually but, I figured, maybe they just want to start getting prepared and being this is their first they were just eager and excited or wanted to plan accordingly for what they would need to purchase?
Next came games - 7 in all.  1.) How well do you know Mom  2.)  How well do you know Dad  3.)  Guess circumference of pregnant belly.  4.)  A word scramble  5.)  A Find-A-Word game  6.)  A diaper the stuffed bear "race"  7.)  Bingo 
Then came the "money grab" portion of the afternoon - $1 to buy a raffle ticket.  money to parents and a small door prize to winnner.  $1 to guess gender of baby.  You put your $ in a blue bank or a pink bank.  Winner to be determined later.  $1 to guess baby's date of birth.  Again, winner to be determined later.  The parents would keep the money and the winners were promised a small prize - after the actual birth.  It did not appear too many people were up for these raffles.
Then a basket of blank envelopes were passed around and everyone was asked to - you guessed it - address your own!  An envelope was selected and the winner got a small prize.
Gifts were then opened.  This wasn't too painful, there was only about 20 people in attendance so it moved along pretty smoothly.
3 hours later the cake was cut and those left standing went home - exhausted.   :D

My SS Sister hosted her own baby shower when she was less than 4 months along. She also sent out a registry list (not something done in Australia). The registry had nothing on it under $150.

She then invited absolutely every one she had ever met, including the nurses from her doctors office, and even the check out lady at her supermarket. She was most upset that only about 5 or 6 people came and no one bought a thing off her registry.

SS was heard to say 'what am I going to do with all these nappies and wipes! I need a car seat and crib!'

I was busy washing my hair that day and declined the honor of attending.