Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5274830 times)

StarFaerie

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #25650 on: February 24, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
My SS Sister hosted her own baby shower when she was less than 4 months along. She also sent out a registry list (not something done in Australia). The registry had nothing on it under $150.

She then invited absolutely every one she had ever met, including the nurses from her doctors office, and even the check out lady at her supermarket. She was most upset that only about 5 or 6 people came and no one bought a thing off her registry.

SS was heard to say 'what am I going to do with all these nappies and wipes! I need a car seat and crib!'

I was busy washing my hair that day and declined the honor of attending.

And I bet your hair feels much better for it too. Stress free and all that.

Did she say that to the people who attended? If she did, I'd would have grabbed my nappies and wipes and walked right out again.

Mary Lennox

« Reply #25651 on: February 24, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »
$1 to guess gender of baby.  You put your $ in a blue bank or a pink bank.  Winner to be determined later.  $1 to guess baby's date of birth.  Again, winner to be determined later.  The parents would keep the money and the winners were promised a small prize - after the actual birth.

Cynical Mary is waiting for the birth to see if these prizes actually appear.

stkatie00

« Reply #25652 on: February 24, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
I am going to nominate my cousin for this SS section.  She hosted a baby shower on Saturday for her son's gf.  We all received beautiful imprinted invitations a month ago and RSVP'd to an email account.  There was no registry information listed and the invite stated parents-to-be were not going to find out gender ahead of time.  The shower was billed as a luncheon at a really nice, newly renovated Grange hall not too far from my home.  Great.  Sounds like a pleasant afternoon.
This is cousin's 1st grandchild and to she really outdid herself, to say the least.
Lunch was served immediately upon arrival and it was an impressive spread of sandwiches, meatballs, all manner of veggies, fruit, dips, crackers, chips..you name it, it was there.  There was enough food on the buffet to easily feed an army.
Then the mother to be arrived and was given a tiara and Mom-To-Be sash to wear and cousin plated her lunch and served her.  We then discovered that Mom-to-Be is only about 5 months along.  You really could not tell she was pregnant to be honest, she was wearing a slightly loose fitting top and a long skirt.  Seemed awfully early to have a baby shower to me, most showers I've been to the Mom is much further along - 7-9 months usually but, I figured, maybe they just want to start getting prepared and being this is their first they were just eager and excited or wanted to plan accordingly for what they would need to purchase?
Next came games - 7 in all.  1.) How well do you know Mom  2.)  How well do you know Dad  3.)  Guess circumference of pregnant belly.  4.)  A word scramble  5.)  A Find-A-Word game  6.)  A diaper the stuffed bear "race"  7.)  Bingo 
Then came the "money grab" portion of the afternoon - $1 to buy a raffle ticket.  money to parents and a small door prize to winnner.  $1 to guess gender of baby.  You put your $ in a blue bank or a pink bank.  Winner to be determined later.  $1 to guess baby's date of birth.  Again, winner to be determined later.  The parents would keep the money and the winners were promised a small prize - after the actual birth.  It did not appear too many people were up for these raffles.
Then a basket of blank envelopes were passed around and everyone was asked to - you guessed it - address your own!  An envelope was selected and the winner got a small prize.
Gifts were then opened.  This wasn't too painful, there was only about 20 people in attendance so it moved along pretty smoothly.
3 hours later the cake was cut and those left standing went home - exhausted.   :D

This is the one part I would say was not SS. Yes, it's somewhat unusual, but there could be extenuating circumstances you weren't aware of. I had a shower at 19 weeks, because we traveled 800 miles for it, it worked best for the people invited and hosting, and I had twins, so we didn't know how long I'd be able to travel. I had a second shower thrown closer to home at a more traditional time in the pregnancy-33 weeks, and my kids had been born 2 weeks earlier. So, as I said, that part wouldn't bother me. The rest of it? Unless I was really close to the mom to be, I would have made my excuses to leave.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #25653 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »
My "shower" isn't going to be until after the baby is born, probably when he's about 3 months old. My sisters want to host it together and they're interstate. And baby is going to be born midwinter, so we've set a tentative date of "sometime in September" when the weather is better.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #25654 on: February 25, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
Bittybartfast finally managed (after many failed attempts over the last several months) to break the screen on my iPad yesterday, so I took it down to the Apple store to see what they could do.  (The answer was not much, but they "repair" it by trading it in for an identical replacement.)  I joked with the employee about how I hated to do that because I didn't want to lose all my progress in the games I had on there, and they probably heard that all the time.

She said she had a guy come in just the previous day absolutely foaming at the mouth because his iPhone said he was on level 236 of Candy Crush, but his Facebook account said he was on level 272, and what did she propose to do about it?  Apparently it took three employees to convince him that frontline employees at a physical location of an Apple store weren't the ones to yell at when you have Candy Crush/Facebook problems . . .

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25655 on: February 25, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »
I'm not quite sure who (if anyone) was the SS here.

During the month of February we've had about 28 inches of snow in small increments.  Then, we've had enough warm weather to melt most of it.  Because most of the garbage trucks were shifted to snow plow duty, some 'interesting' things have shown up in the melting snow.

The other day I was on my way home from the grocery when I encountered a man who was absolutely livid about dog poo on the curb exposed by the melt. 

Okay, people are supposed to clean up after their dogs and folks around here are usually very good about that. However, when the dog needs walking and the snow is coming down at the rate of 2" an hour, I'd be willing to cut them a little slack.   

Xandraea

« Reply #25656 on: February 25, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »
I'm not quite sure who (if anyone) was the SS here.

During the month of February we've had about 28 inches of snow in small increments.  Then, we've had enough warm weather to melt most of it.  Because most of the garbage trucks were shifted to snow plow duty, some 'interesting' things have shown up in the melting snow.

The other day I was on my way home from the grocery when I encountered a man who was absolutely livid about dog poo on the curb exposed by the melt. 

Okay, people are supposed to clean up after their dogs and folks around here are usually very good about that. However, when the dog needs walking and the snow is coming down at the rate of 2" an hour, I'd be willing to cut them a little slack.   

The dog owner was the SS here. In many places, it's the law to clean up after your pet. Doesn't matter if it's snowing, raining, blisteringly hot or bitterly cold. Even if it weren't the law, it's courtesy. Nobody wants to find mushy poo after a snow melt. In fact, there was a situation, a couple years ago I think, where when snow melted in the spring, it revealed dog poo lining streets and walking paths all over a suburb. Not one, but many people had not picked up after their pets, and now it was everywhere, stinking and attracting pests and growing nastiness in it. Gross! I made the mistake of not cleaning up after my own dogs in their designated poo place in my own yard one winter, since it kept being buried by snow anyway, and when spring thaw came, it was the nastiest thing I'd ever had to deal with. And deal with it I did, as it was my own darned fault. Now I clean up frequently to prevent that situation from happening again.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:49:21 PM by Xandraea »

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #25657 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
^^ Yeah, we had that problem in the neighborhood where we used to live. One of the reasons I don't miss living there.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25658 on: February 25, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Yeah, it takes all of, what, 30 seconds? While the dog is pooping, you get your bag ready. Dog finishes, you bend over, pick it up in the bag or whatever, and close it.

OK, OK, maybe I'm exaggerating. 60 seconds.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25659 on: February 25, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
Agreed. I pick up after my dog whether it's raining, snowing, dark out, whatever. It's part of dog ownership.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #25660 on: February 26, 2014, 01:37:40 AM »
This article is about a woman who adopted two girls from China and how people made rude comments. I am cackling at how one of the kids handled a rude SS  >:D

"...recently, a couple approached the family and the woman remarked, 'I couldnít love someone I didnít give birth to," to which Lily cleverly responded, 'Oh, did you give birth to your husband?' before walking away."

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/kim-kelly-wagner-photo-series-girls-adopted-china-191940669.html

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #25661 on: February 26, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »
This article is about a woman who adopted two girls from China and how people made rude comments. I am cackling at how one of the kids handled a rude SS  >:D

"...recently, a couple approached the family and the woman remarked, 'I couldnít love someone I didnít give birth to," to which Lily cleverly responded, 'Oh, did you give birth to your husband?' before walking away."

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/kim-kelly-wagner-photo-series-girls-adopted-china-191940669.html

I predict great things for this girl.

...and a lifetime of closed-mindedness for the woman.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #25662 on: February 26, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »
In general, I agree that it's the responsibility of the dog owner to clean up after their dog; I can make an exception if the dog had skittered out into foot-deep snow on a long leash. I don't expect heroics.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

gingerzing

« Reply #25663 on: February 26, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »

I am trying to wrap my head around the idea that some people considered this gal's photo project a parenting fail.  I think is was inspired.

I predict great things for this girl.

...and a lifetime of closed-mindedness for the woman.

MrTango

« Reply #25664 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
My "shower" isn't going to be until after the baby is born, probably when he's about 3 months old. My sisters want to host it together and they're interstate. And baby is going to be born midwinter, so we've set a tentative date of "sometime in September" when the weather is better.

I have to admit, this hurt my brain for a few moments.  I was thinking: How could the baby be born mid-winter and then only be 3 months old in September?

Then I remembered, you're in the southern hemisphere, so your winter is during my summer.