Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5391332 times)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27390 on: June 10, 2014, 12:52:47 PM »
The pickles thread reminded me of a SS story. I know a woman whose entire family is very entitled; always out for number one. One day, she and her sibling went to a restaurant and ordered their meal. The waiter informed them they were running short on pickles and asked that if they don't eat/like pickles, if the cook can leave them off their plates. Their eyes lit up at the opportunity and asked if they'll get a discount. When informed no, they demanded their pickles.....and proceeded to throw them away after they finished their meal since they hate pickles. It's the principle, you know ::). How do I know this story when I was't there? They brag about it.

We were talking in another thread about knowing a friend's spending habits and I said that I wouldn't ask, but if it came up, it might affect my opinion. This would definitely affect my opinion of her- very negatively.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #27391 on: June 12, 2014, 12:59:26 AM »
I'm reporting the SS woman who sat down next to me at the bus stop and started smoking. Not only is it illegal to smoke at bus stops (though there are no signs saying it is), I'm very visibly pregnant so why would I want to expose my baby to your cancer causing fumes?

She did move when I asked her to, at least.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:03:57 AM by Katana_Geldar »

nayberry

« Reply #27392 on: June 12, 2014, 06:09:54 AM »
Dear Mrs i-can-hold-up-the-queue,  i don't care if you are looking at the tempting things alongside the till waiting area, i do care when you are called to go to a till and ignore them 5 times.  and when you are rude to me when i mention it politely to you thats when you get stinkeye!

^^ in primarni, short queue for the tills (one queue and a line of tills and they call you up to a free one).  older ladys response to me when i said " excuse me, they're calling you", was "i heard them" in a snippy tone!

hjaye

« Reply #27393 on: June 12, 2014, 11:16:56 AM »
I'm not sure if this is SS or just really clueless to the world around her.

At the grocery store checkout yesterday, I went to the express lane, since I only had one item.  The lady in front of me didn't have much, but she was paying with a check.  OK, that's a bit slow, but one of my personal pet peeves is when the person waits until the checker is done ringing her up, announces her total, and then she opens her purse, digs for her wallet or checkbook (where ever she keeps her checks) starts to fill out the check, and then announce, oh by the way, I need a thirty dollar gas card.  Since the checker had already totaled out her purchase, he either had to take her payment and then ring up the gas card separately (which would require another check) or somehow he was able to open up her purchase and then ring in the gas card.  (he went with option two)

Then as she was writing the check, she said, oh I need forty dollars cash back.  Not too much of a big deal right?  Nope, now the check was for over one hundred dollars, the checker needed to get manager approval.  So he had to page a manager, wait for one to respond,  (first the manager called to see what the checker needed, and then he had to come to the register)

What made it really frustrating, the lady who was doing all this was a department manager at the very grocery store she was shopping at. 

So it turned out the express line was not so express after all.  I don't think she understands the thought behind having an express lane at the supermarket.

edited for grammar
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:58:06 AM by hjaye »

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #27394 on: June 12, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm not sure if this is SS or just really clueless to the world around her.

At the grocery store checkout yesterday, I went to the express lane, since I only had one item.  The lady in front of me didn't have much, but she was paying with a check.  OK, that's a bit slow, but one of my personal pet peeves is when the person waits until the checker is done ringing her up, announces her total, and then she opens her purse, digs for her wallet or checkbook (where ever she keeps her checks) starts to fill out the check, and then announce, oh by the way, I need a thirty dollar gas card.  Since the checker had already totaled out her purchase, he either had to take her payment and then ring up the gas card separately (which would require another check) or somehow he was able to open up her purchase and then ring in the gas card.  (he went with option two)

Then as she was writing the check, she said, oh I need forty dollars cash back.  Not too much of a big deal right?  Nope, now the check was for over one hundred dollars, the checker needed to get manager approval.  So he had to page a manager, wait for one to respond,  (first the manager called to see what the checker needed, and then he had to come to the register)

What made it really frustrating, the lady who was doing all this was a department manager at the very grocery store she was shopping at. 

So it turned out the express line was so express after all.  I don't think she understands the thought behind having an express lane at the supermarket.

Me Too!

Like suddenly you realize payment is going to be required   >:(

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27395 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:37 AM »
So it turned out the express line was so express after all.  I don't think she understands the thought behind having an express lane at the supermarket.

I'm surprised that a supermarket would allow checks at the express lane. If i were a store manager, I wouldn't. Cash and cards only; this is where we do things -fast-.

But I don't think that's Special Snowflake worthy.

darling

« Reply #27396 on: June 12, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »

I'm surprised that a supermarket would allow checks at the express lane. If i were a store manager, I wouldn't. Cash and cards only; this is where we do things -fast-.

The check isn't the snowflake part. It's the not preparing for the fact that she was writing a check, plus adding on things after the total has already been entered, not once, but twice. And it's an express lane...

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27397 on: June 12, 2014, 12:09:42 PM »
I still don't think of that as Special Snowflake. Disorganized, certainly; annoying, yes. But not really demanding such special treatment just because she's special.

blueyzca01

« Reply #27398 on: June 12, 2014, 12:48:18 PM »
but one of my personal pet peeves is when the person waits until the checker is done ringing her up, announces her total, and then she opens her purse, digs for her wallet or checkbook (where ever she keeps her checks) starts to fill out the check, and then announce, oh by the way, I need a thirty dollar gas card.

You forgot to include that the woman usually asks, "So who do I make this out to?"
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #27399 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

A nearby grocery store has two express lanes:  One is plainly labeled "Cash or Debit Card" and the other one is labeled "Cash, debit card, and checks".  I don't think I've ever been behind someone with a check in the one labeled "cash or debit card" except when the other express lane is closed.

Amara

« Reply #27400 on: June 12, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
I disagree. I do think this rises to the level of Snowflake-ness. If you are writing a check have it as ready to go as possible or if you are using a card then have it ready to go when you need it. Think ahead if you have anything that is going to extend your time at the cash register and you'll ease everyone's passage including your own.

I write checks, but I always have them written out beforehand with only the amount missing, plus I have my driver's license number and expiration and my work phone number all neatly written at the top of the check. I make it as fast as I can for the cashier and for those behind me. When the cashier takes it from my hand I flip my Filofax open to the license section so not one second is wasted time.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #27401 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
I disagree. I do think this rises to the level of Snowflake-ness. If you are writing a check have it as ready to go as possible or if you are using a card then have it ready to go when you need it. Think ahead if you have anything that is going to extend your time at the cash register and you'll ease everyone's passage including your own.

I write checks, but I always have them written out beforehand with only the amount missing, plus I have my driver's license number and expiration and my work phone number all neatly written at the top of the check. I make it as fast as I can for the cashier and for those behind me. When the cashier takes it from my hand I flip my Filofax open to the license section so not one second is wasted time.

I may be in love with you...  this is about how I do it if I write a check

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #27402 on: June 12, 2014, 02:40:38 PM »
Me too, although I don't sign my name until the check is completely filled out. But yes, I like to have my coupons out and ready, and my check almost ready to go too.
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

greencat

« Reply #27403 on: June 12, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
I think it wasn't the check writing or even the fumbling in her purse for the checkbook that was the special snowflakiness.  I think it was the adding on extra things to her purchase, pushing it into an amount that she, being a manager at that store, would know would require manager approval, and doing so piecemeal so that the transaction had to be recalculated multiple times, that made her a special snowflake.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #27404 on: June 12, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
I think it wasn't the check writing or even the fumbling in her purse for the checkbook that was the special snowflakiness.  I think it was the adding on extra things to her purchase, pushing it into an amount that she, being a manager at that store, would know would require manager approval, and doing so piecemeal so that the transaction had to be recalculated multiple times, that made her a special snowflake.

This.  She knew how to make the transaction quicker and decidedly chose not to, purposefully inconveniencing those around her.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.