Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5554402 times)

alkira6

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27900 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
/snip

By blocking I mean the straight path across the driveway.  you could easily walk on the lower third of the drive around the rear of the cars. One of the neighbors was upset about having to walk around the car ends that she started calling the cops on people parking in their own driveways. The cops hands were tied and they issued tickets.

/snip

Sounds like your sister and the other ticket getting neighbours were the SS here.

I don't see how parking you car in your own driveway to your own house could be considered SS.   Where else are you supposed to park -- down the street and around the corner? 

In your garage?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #27901 on: July 12, 2014, 07:28:19 PM »
/snip

By blocking I mean the straight path across the driveway.  you could easily walk on the lower third of the drive around the rear of the cars. One of the neighbors was upset about having to walk around the car ends that she started calling the cops on people parking in their own driveways. The cops hands were tied and they issued tickets.

/snip

Sounds like your sister and the other ticket getting neighbours were the SS here.
The driveways were to short to park trucks or SUVs in without going a couple inches into the "sidewalk" which is part of their driveway. Near as anyone could figure out.

1. Houses/Driveways were built 70's
2. Sidewalks put in late 70's
3. Law about not blocking the sidewalk rightway across your drive was passed late 1990's early 2000's. In all honestly their council member should have been on the ball and got exemptions for situations like this built into the law.

This woman wasn't calling about people parking across the rightway - she was calling about people's bumpers hanging into the space an inch or two.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

StarFaerie

« Reply #27902 on: July 12, 2014, 07:37:25 PM »
/snip

/snip

The driveways were to short to park trucks or SUVs in without going a couple inches into the "sidewalk" which is part of their driveway. Near as anyone could figure out.

3. Law about not blocking the sidewalk rightway across your drive was passed late 1990's early 2000's. In all honestly their council member should have been on the ball and got exemptions for situations like this built into the law.

This woman wasn't calling about people parking across the rightway - she was calling about people's bumpers hanging into the space an inch or two.

The footpath/sidewalk is not your driveway, it is the footpath. It is not for you to park on. Parking on it means someone in a wheelchair or mobility scooter may need to go cross country to continue on their way which is not always possible. Plus parking there is illegal.

Owning an SUV or truck or any length of car is a choice that should be made with availability of parking in mind.

Hence your sister and neighbours were SS's and even worse so for taking out their dislike of the consequences of their actions on the poor correct neighbour woman.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27903 on: July 12, 2014, 07:50:25 PM »
^^^  Having a vehicle with it's rear bumper hanging an inch or two (or four!) into the sidewalk does not impede the progress of anyone using that sidewalk.  They can just walk right past it with plenty of room to spare.  That's also true if they are using a walker, a wheelchair or a motorized scooter type thing.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #27904 on: July 12, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
Can we please stop arguing about the driveway/garage/sidewalk before this gets locked.

judecat

« Reply #27905 on: July 12, 2014, 07:53:51 PM »
/snip

/snip

The footpath/sidewalk is not your driveway, it is the footpath. It is not for you to park on. Parking on it means someone in a wheelchair or mobility scooter may need to go cross country to continue on their way which is not always possible. Plus parking there is illegal.

Owning an SUV or truck or any length of car is a choice that should be made with availability of parking in mind.

Hence your sister and neighbours were SS's and even worse so for taking out their dislike of the consequences of their actions on the poor correct neighbour woman.

When I bought my house,  my driveway ran from my garage door to the edge of the street.  The garage was built in 1932,  wasn't really big enough for anything bigger than a model T Ford.  The driveway was just big enough to fit a SUV,  or pick up truck.  The fact that putting a sidewalk in on our side of the street would have meant that people would not be able to park on their own property was enough to stop the city from building that sidewalk. 

StarFaerie

« Reply #27906 on: July 12, 2014, 08:58:56 PM »
/snip

/snip

When I bought my house,  my driveway ran from my garage door to the edge of the street.  The garage was built in 1932,  wasn't really big enough for anything bigger than a model T Ford.  The driveway was just big enough to fit a SUV,  or pick up truck.  The fact that putting a sidewalk in on our side of the street would have meant that people would not be able to park on their own property was enough to stop the city from building that sidewalk.
And that's as it should be. That's good government in action. But once the footpath and law are there, the proper course is to get the law changed or footpath moved, not ignore it.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #27907 on: July 12, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
As someone who needs to walk everywhere, including around cars hanging over to the sidewalk, I'm on the side of the woman who called the police a SS.  Yes, it means having to go around, but when I was trained in Orientation and Mobility for using my cane, it was standard to train that you go around and you feel out the sidewalk / ground as best you could.

Now, is it annoying?  Yep.  But as stated in other threads on EHell, just because something is annoying doesn't mean it's rude.  Or right to call in the police when they have better things to do than issue tickets for people exercising their right to use their property as best they could.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #27908 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:10 PM »
This is interesting to me because of the disagreement I had earlier about not using a space that was not allocated to you even if it was inconvenient for you.  Funny how different situations bring different opinions.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #27909 on: July 12, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
I am seconding the request that the parking in a driveway vs the sidewalk discussion be stopped.

The SS taxis clamoring to get in line at the exit for a theme park. The line was so long, the taxis had to go around the block and come back again, as there was no where for the new ones to go, with at least thirty already lined up for passengers. I'm glad I don't go there often.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #27910 on: July 12, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »
I nominate for SS the people who ripped out the concrete pillars of a park dock, threw them onto the grass and dumped the rest of the dock into the water. Apparently there were tire tracks, which probably explains how they managed all that damage so easily. So pointless and spiteful >:(

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27911 on: July 12, 2014, 10:52:22 PM »
I nominate for SS the people who ripped out the concrete pillars of a park dock, threw them onto the grass and dumped the rest of the dock into the water. Apparently there were tire tracks, which probably explains how they managed all that damage so easily. So pointless and spiteful >:(

Where are the security cameras when you need them?  :-\

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #27912 on: July 12, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »

The local yahoos who ride their off-road motorbikes through the footpaths and around our streets. These bikes are illegal to ride anywhere but in designated off-road areas and private rural properties. They sound like the proverbial bee in a biscuit tin, and at 2am when they scream up and down the roads.

We contacted the local shire and they put a new pole back in the footpath walkway, which has cut them down, but there's still a few trying to run it.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #27913 on: July 13, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »

My friend had people knock on her door last night at 10 pm. Apparently there were two horses on the road. They went out, and they were theirs. Looked like a driver had gone off the road and drove through the ditch, and either pulled out or bent a bunch of their T-posts that their electric fence run on. Took out about 60 feet of fenceline.

They did some damage to their car and left some parts behind, and the parts had numbers, so they're hoping the cops can find the vehicle. Hope they slap that person with a huge fine!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

alkira6

« Reply #27914 on: July 13, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
I nominate the people who dumped broken fridges, electronics, and mattresses onto our neighbors property and set them on fire.

Neighbor has let our community use his property (around 30 acres) as a de facto park for over 5 years.  Most of the neighborhood is very good about keeping the property clean and someone even put in a couple of benches and a nice table near the stream about a 1/4 of a mile in.  We have walked/played with our dogs here for years.  Everyone picks up after their dogs and when we go out near the stream you can see where people have had cleared out brush and dead limbs to create areas to picnic and sit and relax. Dumpers have done so much damage (fire trucks had to be called in last year) that he gave us notice that none of us can use the property anymore and he has put up posts, chains, and "no trespassing" signs to keep people out.

I understand completely, but I am spitting mad at the a**holes who are too lazy/cheap to put in a call to sanitation for pickup. Yes, it costs about $50, but that is for coming out.  You could fill the whole truck up with crap and it would still only cost $50.  Now the entire community is without a green space unless you drive about 10 miles into the city.