Author Topic: Special Snowflake Stories  (Read 5745419 times)

alkira6

Re: Special Snowflake Stories
« Reply #27915 on: July 13, 2014, 03:04:19 PM »
That's so sad. And you know that the dumpers will be spitting mad that he's taken away their "right" to dispose of garbage for free. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them try to trespass anyway.

Good luck to them for that. He has a backhoe and is planning to dig moats at the only two real entrances to the property.   >:D  You could still get there walking but can't bring in a truck or car to dump stuff.  The rest of the property is bordered by houses with nosy neighbors (that's how the fire truck was called) or so wooded that you can's get anything between the trees and brush and would have to dump right by a well traveled highway.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27916 on: July 13, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
That's so sad. And you know that the dumpers will be spitting mad that he's taken away their "right" to dispose of garbage for free. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them try to trespass anyway.

Good luck to them for that. He has a backhoe and is planning to dig moats at the only two real entrances to the property.   >:D  You could still get there walking but can't bring in a truck or car to dump stuff.  The rest of the property is bordered by houses with nosy neighbors (that's how the fire truck was called) or so wooded that you can's get anything between the trees and brush and would have to dump right by a well traveled highway.
Will he open it back up then?  Maybe if you got the whole neighborhood to have a volunteer day cleaning and clearing the place? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27917 on: July 13, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to just sell it off. To a developer.

alkira6

« Reply #27918 on: July 14, 2014, 12:57:04 AM »
He and his wife are keeping it so that it won't be developed.  He is the one who used to own the land our community was built on and he made a killing when he sold it.  About 20 years ago he owned the land that now makes up quite a bit of our suburb and he is quite well of because of very timely sales of bits of land. 

The use of his wooded acreage was just a generous gesture on their part.  The last incident that happened on his land because of SS people made his lawyer advise him of liability problems if something involving damage to people should happen.  Without too many details, some kids set some mattresses that were dumped on fire and one was hurt. There was a brouhaha about suing for owning an attractive nuisance  ::)  and things have gone downhill from there.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27919 on: July 14, 2014, 10:41:17 AM »
"And this is why we can't have nice things."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #27920 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
I love the phrase 'bee in a biscuit tin.'

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread.  :)
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

MindsEye

« Reply #27921 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
I nominate some of my friend's new neighbors!

My friend and her husband recently bought a house... and it seems that the people they bought it from were the social hub for the neighborhood children and as such had several play structures in their yard for them all to enjoy.  Well, the first thing that my friend and her husband (they do not have children) did upon taking possession was to tear down all of the "attractive nuisances", e.g. play structures, on the advice of their insurance agent.  Apparently some of the neighborhood moms were offended that my friend and her husband had the gall to deny their children continued and unlimited use of those play structures, and are quite frosty to them now.  (My friend brushes it off and quite frankly doesn't care what those neighbors think.  I am outraged on her behalf.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27922 on: July 14, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »

My friend and her husband recently bought a house... and it seems that the people they bought it from were the social hub for the neighborhood children and as such had several play structures in their yard for them all to enjoy.  Well, the first thing that my friend and her husband (they do not have children) did upon taking possession was to tear down all of the "attractive nuisances", e.g. play structures, on the advice of their insurance agent.  Apparently some of the neighborhood moms were offended that my friend and her husband had the gall to deny their children continued and unlimited use of those play structures, and are quite frosty to them now.  (My friend brushes it off and quite frankly doesn't care what those neighbors think.  I am outraged on her behalf.)

They'll either eventually get over it (new neighbors) or they aren't worth knowing or spending time with, if they're going to be angry about something like that. WHile it may be disappointing the stuff isn't there anymore, people have to realize that things change, and the new neighbors may not be willing to shoulder that responsibility, esp if someone gets hurt.

Coralreef

« Reply #27923 on: July 14, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »
If it bothered them that much to loose the play structures, they could have offered to take/buy them and install them in their own yard.  Oh, wait... that would mean all the neighbourhood kids would end up in THEIR yard.  Which would mean they would have to do some parenting, the horror of it all.  ::)

[/right

MindsEye

« Reply #27924 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:12 PM »

They'll either eventually get over it (new neighbors) or they aren't worth knowing or spending time with, if they're going to be angry about something like that. WHile it may be disappointing the stuff isn't there anymore, people have to realize that things change, and the new neighbors may not be willing to shoulder that responsibility, esp if someone gets hurt.

That's exactly it.  My friend and her husband didn't want to be liable if any kids came on their property to play and got hurt.  Their insurance agent told them that they needed to either fence in their yard to keep the neighbor kids out (not financially possible after a home purchase) or get rid of the play structures entirely.  And the way they were installed (sunk into concrete) it probably wouldn't have been easily possible to move or remove them.   

So my friend and her husband held a housewarming/"demolition" party and a bunch of us came over and helped them tear them down.  It was a lot of fun.   ;D

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #27925 on: July 14, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Iíve recently started building my family tree on ancestry.com and have contacted some long-lost relatives to ask for names and dates.  I contacted my cousinís 40-year-old daughter, whom Iíve never met (I havenít heard from her father in decades).

She answered ďAre you aware that my father abandoned me and my brother after my parents were divorced [when she was a child]?  We donít exist to him.Ē

I replied that I wasnít aware the situation was so bad, but Iíd be grateful to have full names and birth dates for her, her brother, and her mother. 

Her response was that she didnít want to be part of my family tree unless I added information about what a jerk her father is and all the ways heís done her wrong.

Seriously . . . itís genealogy, not therapy. There's no place in my family tree for personal issues.  I decided not to engage the crazy, but I thought about telling her Iíd replace her leaf on the tree with a box that says ďCrazy PersonĒ. 

Oddly, she's Facebook friends with several relatives on her fatherís side and often gushes over their posts. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #27926 on: July 14, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »
Iíve recently started building my family tree on ancestry.com and have contacted some long-lost relatives to ask for names and dates.  I contacted my cousinís 40-year-old daughter, whom Iíve never met (I havenít heard from her father in decades).

She answered ďAre you aware that my father abandoned me and my brother after my parents were divorced [when she was a child]?  We donít exist to him.Ē

I replied that I wasnít aware the situation was so bad, but Iíd be grateful to have full names and birth dates for her, her brother, and her mother. 

Her response was that she didnít want to be part of my family tree unless I added information about what a jerk her father is and all the ways heís done her wrong.

Seriously . . . itís genealogy, not therapy. There's no place in my family tree for personal issues.  I decided not to engage the crazy, but I thought about telling her Iíd replace her leaf on the tree with a box that says ďCrazy PersonĒ. 

Oddly, she's Facebook friends with several relatives on her fatherís side and often gushes over their posts. 

The good thing about ancestry is that eventually the will find that "leaf" and add it to your family tree for you.  So any information that she has put in her profile can be copied over to your tree.  So I would put the father name if you know it, as well as her name if you know it.  The system will do the rest

MrTango

« Reply #27927 on: July 14, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
The good thing about ancestry is that eventually the will find that "leaf" and add it to your family tree for you.  So any information that she has put in her profile can be copied over to your tree.  So I would put the father name if you know it, as well as her name if you know it.  The system will do the rest

So even if this person chooses not to share information with CDL, Ancestry will eventually provide CDL with information from the person's family tree?  That seems rather shady from a privacy perspective.

Dr. F.

« Reply #27928 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »

So even if this person chooses not to share information with CDL, Ancestry will eventually provide CDL with information from the person's family tree?  That seems rather shady from a privacy perspective.

They don't release any information about living people.

I was astonished that I could find my grandmother's SSN, though, of course, she's dead, so it's not private information anymore.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #27929 on: July 14, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »

Not only that, it also doesn't take into account the number of people who carefully curate their genealogy research versus the people who leap at wild guesses.  ("Her name was Sarah Miller and I found a record of a Sarah Miller living in the same town, so it must be her!" versus "There's a possibility these are the same people but we have no birth/death dates for this ancestor so it could just be a coincidence.")

My grandfather wrote several books on our family tree (pre-internet) in which he was VERY careful to be clear which tidbits of information were backed by solid research and which were inferences/speculation - and he's always peeved when the speculation shows up on sites like this and cites his books as "proof."