Author Topic: Girl Scout Cookies  (Read 5378 times)

Winebuff09

Girl Scout Cookies
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
I don't want to sound like an ogre but we have about 8 different acquaintences with daughters in Girl Scouts.  Around this time of year, we get inundated with calls and surprise "visits" with the underlying theme of "buy some cookies". 

In the past, we usually acquiesce and purchase a few boxes of cookies but times are currently tough right now and although we are not destitute by any means, we are currently in "saving" mode versus "splurging" mode. 

This year, we have even had one father bring his daughter to our place of business to hawk their wares.   

Last year, we had a new "fiasco" when a parent brought her Boy Scout to our place of business selling popcorn.  We have an openly gay man who works in our office.  You can imagine where that all went. 

Any suggestions on how to deal with some of these overzealous parents? 

LizC

Re: Girl Scout Cookies
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
A polite, "No, thanks, not this year" works, though some parents may badger (or kids, for that matter).  Repeating the same phrase, in the same pleasant voice, after each subsequent reiteration, tends to work.

Seraphine1

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:52:08 AM »

Last year, we had a new "fiasco" when a parent brought her Boy Scout to our place of business selling popcorn.  We have an openly g*a*y man who works in our office.  You can imagine where that all went. 

Please excuse me for being dense, but why would this be an issue other than it being inappropriate that kids are trying to sell their wares in a workplace.  Was it because it was a Boy Scout, because it was popcorn, or because the co-worker was g*a*y?  Am I just missing the joke here?

HorseFreak

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:22 AM »

Last year, we had a new "fiasco" when a parent brought her Boy Scout to our place of business selling popcorn.  We have an openly g*a*y man who works in our office.  You can imagine where that all went. 

Please excuse me for being dense, but why would this be an issue other than it being inappropriate that kids are trying to sell their wares in a workplace.  Was it because it was a Boy Scout, because it was popcorn, or because the co-worker was g*a*y?  Am I just missing the joke here?

The Boy Scouts aren't particularly tolerant of homosexuality as an organization.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:11:36 AM »

The Boy Scouts will not accept anyone who is g*ay as a scoutmaster. I don't know if they will let boys who are g*ay be in the scouts or not, but I think they probably don't. Kiddo or the openly g*ay employee may well have made a comment that was derogatory about either the Scouts and their policy or about the man's sexual orientation.

Seraphine1

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »
Thank you very much, everyone, for clarifying this for me.  I wasn't really aware of the Boy Scout's views on this matter (as I'm not a former Scout, nor am I American) but that certainly makes more sense now!

I was just afraid I was missing the point...

Aemirai

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
The girls are supposed to be learning a variety of social skills through cookie sales, and one of them is how to graciously accept the answer "no".  If the girls are the ones asking you if you'd like to buy, just say "Not this year, sorry."  I don't buy cookies from adults selling on behalf of their daughters except under a very few circumstances (like last year, when it was almost the end of cookie time and no girls had come to our door - I bought a few boxes from a friend that I knew had a daughter in GS).  The girls aren't getting what they're supposed to out of the sale that way, and if I want to donate money, there are more direct routes.

I'm a lifetime Girl Scout who sold cookies for twelve years (1st-12th grade), and who is glad to be done with the selling aspect!  I am not a salesperson, but I did learn a lot from cookie sales.

mumofonly1

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 10:46:03 PM »

I don't know if they will let boys who are g*ay be in the scouts or not, but I think they probably don't.
No, an openly g*a*y boy will not be allowed in hardcore scouting troops.

There are troops that bend the rules so to speak and are more open about alternative folks, but I don't agree with their policies as an organization.

Scooter

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
Off topic but Cracker Barrel would fire any employees they discovered were gay or openly not hire them for that reason.  Since I discovered this quite a few years ago I haven't set foot in their restaurants again.  Supposedly they "corrected" the problem but only because they were legally forced to if they wanted to remain in business.

penguinpants

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
A colleague's daughter behaved abominably, throughout the entire Girl Scout cookie buying process.  Bossy, ungrateful, generally rude.  This year, when she came around again, I checked a clock, declared myself "late for a meeting," and took off.  I bought through my parish, instead, and the mothers and daughters have all been very professional and polite.

You could be "late for a meeting," too, if the wee ones persist in trying to make you buy things, if you don't want to say, "No, and you need to learn to take 'No' for an answer."
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

K12144

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »
Anyone know how the Girl Scouts are on gays and atheists?

I find it interesting that churches seem to sponsor Boy Scout troops (inc. my own, unfortunately) but not Girl Scout troops.  I think the Scouts--of both genders/sexes--need to be updated, frankly.

Anyway.  I actually like office GS cookie sales, because it's my only way to get them.  But, in my case, there is only ONE (that I know of) person in our whole office selling them, and all she did was put up signs; there was no solicitation besides that.  And she didn't start selling until cookies were in, so we didn't have to wait weeks to get them.

HorseFreak

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »
Anyone know how the Girl Scouts are on gays and atheists?

I find it interesting that churches seem to sponsor Boy Scout troops (inc. my own, unfortunately) but not Girl Scout troops.  I think the Scouts--of both genders/sexes--need to be updated, frankly.

Anyway.  I actually like office GS cookie sales, because it's my only way to get them.  But, in my case, there is only ONE (that I know of) person in our whole office selling them, and all she did was put up signs; there was no solicitation besides that.  And she didn't start selling until cookies were in, so we didn't have to wait weeks to get them.

The GS in the US are very accepting and tolerant. I did go to one of their overnight camps that was a tad religious for my taste (singing grace before every meal), but nothing outwardly hostile.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 01:39:35 AM »

Not so clever attempt to troll for a political discussion and people fell for it.  Banned.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:28 AM »

Let this thread stand as a warning that hijacking a thread from discussion of etiquette to discuss your personal opinions regarding a hot political topic will result in permanent banning.  Four people in this thread learned that the hard way.