Author Topic: I missed my chance...maybe next time.  (Read 3085 times)

tartxcherries

• Bears.Beets.Battlestar Galactica!
I missed my chance...maybe next time.
« on: February 05, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »
I had the perfect chance to use this line today, and I missed it. I am seemingly the only person in my office of a particular belief (I won't go into if its politics/religion/what spaghetti sauce you prefer), maybe I'm not, but no one else has come forward that claims they believe as I do. The rest of my office are all very much on the other side of the spectrum, and while they don't talk about it all the time, there are days when they start in and go on and on about it for several minutes before going back to work. Today a customer came in who happened to say something about being my belief Everyone was polite but as soon as the customer was out of the door the comments began. One person stated that for that person to be that particular belief he was either too young to know better, or old and brainless...  ::) I didn't say anything to this so he looked at me and asked if I was on the fence about it and just hadn't admitted it to yet. Anyhow, perfect time for the response, and I missed it. Five minutes later I was mentally kicking myself and repeated it in my head a few times so I will be prepared for the future.  ;)

gibsongirl

Re: I missed my chance...maybe next time.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:01:16 PM »
*sigh*  Yeah, it's always afterwards...when one thinks of the best ripostes.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:49:52 PM »
So, are you young, old or brainless? If I were in the right mood, I would probably let the truth come out and ask them which category they thought I was in.

What was your response to be? I am always looking for good oneliners.

By the way, some of my best friends prefer Ragu over Prego, but I don't hold it against them.

Edit: I just figured out the line is "What an interesting assumption!" I'll try to remember that.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 04:41:43 PM by brenda12145 »

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 03:17:04 PM »
I couldn't have let it pass but I dont think I would have has the presence of mind to say the line. I would probably choke out a sharp "Excuse Me??" It is absolutely inappropriate to make disparging comments about people's religion/culture/pet preference/whatever.

Hanna

• Super Hero!
    • RumorsAboutMe
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
That isn't the line that would come to mind if someone was trying to pry my beliefs out of me so they could beat me over the head with them.  More like "And I want to discuss this topic with you WHY?"

I like smiling and keeping quiet in these situations.  It's fun to let them wonder, allows you to remain in control of the situation, and one rarely makes enemies by saying nothing at all.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
Don't worry Tartxcherries, there will probably (wouldn't want to assume) be another chance.  Unfortunately. ;)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.