Author Topic: the bat out of hell labrador as greeter!!  (Read 2294 times)

sandy

the bat out of hell labrador as greeter!!
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:26:33 PM »
Ok, I actually like dogs...small dogs, even big dogs if they dont jump up with the full weight of their 100 lbs on you and lick you to death. I might not mind my own labrador jumping on me sometimes and welcoming me home..but not necessarily the very large, active apr 100 lb dog of a friend of mine. Well i should say I'm ok with it to a point. I wanted to know what your thoughts are on if you visit someone and they think they're dog, (or cat I suppose, but more likely to be a dog) greets you by jumping up on you, several times, barking loudly with a bark that sounds like thunder (although not an aggressive bark, it's a bit disarming..it's his way of saying hi!!) and then when you sit down keeps trying to either jump on your or lick you. I have another friend with a fairly large dog, she's almost as large as 'Storm' the labrador..both freindly dogs, but both are a  bit much, esp for people who dont nexessarily want a large dog making themselves at home on their lap. WHen i visited the first firend, owner of "Storm', I never said anything, just an occasional, ok stop, to him when i was wanting him to cool it a bit. The second friend owner of the otehr large 90 pounder, was a bit more awkward-- bc my dd really *doesn't* appreciate being greeted by a jumping, drooling, barking licking 90 lb whirling dervish with fur!! I am more of a dog person, she is less so, she  is ok with dogs who are more quiet and stay to themselves like a beagle or something, and then SHE can go up to pet them as she wants...I spent that trip there constantly trying to politely manuever the large dog away from my dd, my friend bless her heart thinks everyone loves dogs as much as she does...a couple times she would say to my dd to pet her and then the dog would go away...however after being jumped on by this vewyr large powerful looking dog, my dd was too timid and shied away from wanting to give her a few pats...so I tried to help her pet the dog, it was not fun for her...the rest of the time there, that dog seemed to insist it be acknowledged by her before it would go away.
I felt uncomfortable asking her to put her dogs away, once I think after a prolonged doggy love fest that went unreciprocated by dd, I gently asked, uh, do you think maybe we could put Zoe in the other room for a while? she did, but i wasnt sure if that's rude, or nervy of me to ask her to put her dog away??I am betting it's ok to do taht...if she isnt able to keep her dog more mellow...any thoughts? sometimes people get offended about their dogs just like they woudl their kid..i didnt want to step on her toes, but i didnt think it fair to dd to have her put up with this overly enthusiastic dog. My friend seemed to think it ok because it shows how much her dog likes her,,..

EvilAlice

Re: the bat out of hell labrador as greeter!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
You will be doing your friend a favor by speaking up in a nice way.  Even the most ardent dog lover generally doesn't appreciate being jumped on by a dog of any size.  I'd start doing things like calling from the cell right around the corner- "Almost there, do you think you can put the dogs up long enough for us to get in the door without getting jumped on?  It scares my daughter when the dogs jump on her."  (Just my opinion here, but I feel it's ok to ask that, but not for the dogs to be put away the whole visit.) If she won't do it, and she does sound kind of clueless about this, I'd just firmly push the dog off and tell it (words meant for Owner's ears) "We love you Storm, but not when you jump on us." 

Repeat repeat repeat. 

Just like with kids.  The dog owner or parent is free, I guess, to allow their little loved one to be annoying, but you have every right to set your own personal boundaries.  Heck I'm an idiot about dogs and let them lick me and everything, but one friend's dog has SUCH bad breath that I can't stand it.  I'm nice to the dog but the minute that little tongue gets anywhere near me I firmly push her away.  And I push off dogs who jump on me.  The trick is to train the dog, since the owner seems untrainable.  The dog wants attention- give it to him on YOUR terms.

It's a shame.  Dog owners like this cause a lot of problems, for other people and for dogs in general.  I'm glad your DD didn't become afraid of dogs because of this.  Kudos to you, because you had to have shown a relaxed attitude to help her achieve this.

I had to laugh at this though:

I am more of a dog person, she is less so, she  is ok with dogs who are more quiet and stay to themselves like a beagle or something,

My dog is part beagle and she is INSANE.  She's mostly trained not to jump on people- but she's just so excitable that it's a lesson we have to go over every.single.day.  She is ruled entirely by emotion and because she's always Thrilled With Life it's hard to make her pay attention like she should.

sandy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
ohh, that is a good  term, 'THrilled with life...' that sums up the attitude of these 2 dogs, and thrilled with people!
the only beagle my dd saw was a very demure little beagle, properly named "Sophie' she had a petite pink collar on, and was completely quiet, and just sooo sweet. Another dog had a ball, she wanted it, but only looked at it as if she were thinkign "I wish I could play with that..' and stood there like a little well behaved girl, oh so cute.

I actually did have a beagle mix dog when I was little, he was definately not demure, sweet as heck and also, uh-hum, THrilled with Life. He was a fence jumper extraordinaire and managed as a half grown pup to clear an almost 6 foot high fence. Yes, THrilled with Life indeed...

PeachSilkRose

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 12:05:44 AM »
We have a huge, ultra-excitable German Shepherd who just LOVES to lick people and rub on them...not to mention I think most states require permits to have a tail the size of his...it makes quite the sound when he wags it and it hits the wall. We ALWAYS put him in the backyard when we have guests for the first fifteen minutes or so. Then he runs around and barks at the birds and gets his energy out. He's still excited when he comes in, but by then he's calmed somewhat, and we're all seated and able to defend ourselves.

So, to answer the question, not only is it fine to ask them to put up the dogs, but to do so is just common courtesy on their part.

Pixie

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 12:42:05 AM »
I LOVE dogs, but I do not wish to be jumped on, nor have my private areas sniffed.    When I had a dog, she was trained not to do that.  She was friendly, she loved people, but she knew to sit and let people adore her!  She was such a good dog, that when Hubby and I lost her, we could not bring ourselves to get another dog.   She's been gone 13 years now, and we still are not ready for another dog.

I usually will correct a dog if the owners will not. Or I limit my exposure to the dog.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 04:48:44 AM »
Would it be possible for you to edit your OP to include paragraph breaks?  It's a tad difficult to read and the words look all munched together for those of us with not so great eyes.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:26:36 AM »
Anyone ever read "Marley and Me", for a view of difficulties of owning a Thrilled With Life Lab? Trust me, it would scare me off the breed, if I hadn't already been traumatized by an episode involving a long car ride, me wearing shorts, and a 70 pound Lab scrambling from side to side of the car to see passing livestock.

But even Marley's owner, with the help of some friends, broke him of the habit of jumping up on people, after he realized that it was just not acceptable for a dog nearly as large as an adult human to go crashing into people. I think far too many dog owners nowadays take the approach that "That's just how he is - there isn't anything I can do about it", when they mean "I feel mean when I try to discipline my dog, so I'm not GOING to do anything about it".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Freckles

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
I don’t think it’s out of line to ask her to put the dog in another room or outside when you visit.  Big dogs are scary to children not to mention it makes the entire visit too frenzied when you’re constantly trying to pay attention to a big, furry, drooling animal.

Most dogs, if they’ve had any training at all, understand the word “No!” and sometimes it will deter them a little bit.  My SIL’s shiztu would beg from my plate and I was the only one who would say no to him because I didn’t think it was right.  I got a few dirty looks from SIL but hey, it’s MY plate!

Also, if the dog jumps on you, bring your knee up slightly into their chest while saying “No” or “Down” and it might get the message to at least not jump on you!

sandy

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
I will take that advice, to tell the dog loudly, within ear shot of my friend "we love you, but NOT when you JUMP on us!" repeating several times.

THe other bummer part of it, it's fun but would be funner if not for this is they have a pool, and in summer the kids love to go swimming. Its a special time for them, but sometimes my friend says how her dog Zoe would like to join them, bc she likes the water. So, Zoe jumps in the pool and then as on land, is Thrilled, and makes it hard for my dd to relax and enjoy it, bc she keeps coming over to her and getting right up on her and it makes her nervous.Would it be ok for me to say something like to my friend "Would it be okay if Zoe stays inside to give the kids a chance to play uninterrupted? You know it makes my dd kind of nervous with her in the water..then after maybe Zoe could go in the pool when they're done?"

She looks at Zoe as almost another one of her kids and I'm not sure how gracious she'd be about that. We dont see them all that often since they moved, and it would be nice if there could be good parts of the day where my dd could relax more and enjoy her time with her friend instead of constantly trying to get away from the dog...maybe ask if we could set aside a 3 hour time slot for Zoe to do her own thing in the den, or if the kids are inside she could be outside,..not all day, but at least for part of the day? That would feel awkward to ask it...esp bc Zoe is almost her third child!!

Sibby

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:40:43 AM »
...I wanted to know what your thoughts are on if you visit someone and they think they're dog, (or cat I suppose, but more likely to be a dog) greets you by jumping up on you, several times, barking loudly with a bark that sounds like thunder (although not an aggressive bark, it's a bit disarming..it's his way of saying hi!!) and then when you sit down keeps trying to either jump on your or lick you.

Honestly?  I'd stop socializing witht eh person.  I terrible fear of dogs, even small ones.  This would give me such an anxiety attack I would probably inadvertantly hate the dog's owner for life.

... my dd really *doesn't* appreciate being greeted by a jumping, drooling, barking licking 90 lb whirling dervish with fur!! I am more of a dog person, she is less so, she  is ok with dogs who are more quiet and stay to themselves like a beagle or something, and then SHE can go up to pet them as she wants...I spent that trip there constantly trying to politely manuever the large dog away from my dd, my friend bless her heart thinks everyone loves dogs as much as she does...a couple times she would say to my dd to pet her and then the dog would go away...however after being jumped on by this vewyr large powerful looking dog, my dd was too timid and shied away from wanting to give her a few pats...

I would never forgive my mother either for this situation.  It's called torture, to subject a child to an agressive animal.

My friend seemed to think it ok because it shows how much her dog likes her,,..

Your friend should be careful.  If her dog is agressive like this (friendly or not!) in public, around strangers, she could have a BIG problem.  If a dog appraoached me and would not leave me alone until it got my attention, I would have not a single hesitation to call the police and file charges of assault against it's owner for not controlling the animal..

I don't hate dogs, nor do I begrudge people for having them, I'm simply terrified of them, and think they are bit gross (withe sniffing, eatting random stuff, licking, etc)  Owners need to control their animals.  If an owner cannot or will not control their animal, they should get rid of it (find it an alternate family or whatever).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
Jumping up is not a harmless activity. Even a friendly dog could, say, ruin an expensive suit, or worse, knock someone down and cause serious injury. Visitors are not being "bad sports" to object, and if it were me, I would have taken DD home as soon as it was clear that the hostess was not going to control the dog or remove it from the area during the visit.

The owners MUST get him/her trained. Labs are way too big to be left uncontrolled.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Freckles

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 01:50:48 PM »
I will take that advice, to tell the dog loudly, within ear shot of my friend "we love you, but NOT when you JUMP on us!" repeating several times.

The dog is not going to understand all of that.  Just a firm "No!" repeated each time it does something undesirable.

EvilAlice

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 01:57:33 PM »
I know the dog isn't going to understand it.  That's why I advised doing that for the benefit of the owner.

This woman needs to understand that it makes people dislike her dog when it does that.  I think that will get through to her more this way.  She seems to care more about the dog's feelings so this is a way that might motivate her to do something about it.

taralee

• Just happy to be here
    • TheQuiltingSpot
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »
It's interesting -- a very similar topic like this came up on another forum that I read, and the majority of the posters there (mostly dog owners) were offended at the very idea that they should have to put their dog away if someone comes over to visit, even if the dog is excitable and prone to jumping or sniffing. They felt that the dog is part of the "family" and if you're visiting their house, it's their rules, and you have to basically put up with their "family" members (even the slobbery ones). Personally, I felt that if you have someone over who clearly is uncomfortable around dogs, it's not going to hurt the dog's feelings to be put in another room or in the backyard for an hour or two -- especially if your dog is not well trained (and it always seems like the people who have untrained dogs that are the ones who are most morally outraged at shutting their dog away, too). As a hostess, you want to make your guest comfortable, no?

I could make my guests put up with cat hair and dander whenever they visit us, but I like them to feel comfortable ;) So I vacuum and pick up as much of it as possible, and if I know someone is allergic, shoo the cats into another room.

Just as a side note...my stepmother is a dog irresponsible parent of the human variety. She breeds Scottish Deerhounds, which are quite large; they actually come up to my chest. She thinks of them as her children, and would be morally offended at the idea of shutting them away when I come to visit. You think having one Lab running towards you is bad...imagine 12 Deerhounds galloping towards you! I like dogs, but it's beyond overwhelming. I end up sniffed in every possible area you can imagine, covered in kisses, and jumped on by one or two of them. They're the sweetest, most harmless dogs in the world, but it annoys the heck out of me. My father finally told her to start locking them away, I think, because the last few visits they've been behind a child gate, thank god.
Come check out my quilting website: http://www.thequiltingspot.com

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2007, 06:05:58 PM »
I must admit our family was bad at training. So, we learned, eventually, to keep a hold on our dogs, especially around strangers and small children. Fortunately, the most strong-willed dog we had, the Cairn Terrorist, wouldn't jump up on people (a bit too much in the the "long and portly" style for that), but we always held on to him firmly if children wanted to pet him.

It's for the protection of the dog as much as the human. Children can do things entirely innocently (like the small child we had to stop from trying to pull the Boston Terrier's eyes, apparently thinking they were glass like her teddy bear's) that can provoke a bite. And it's both dog and child that will suffer from that.