Author Topic: Car--Towing & Repair Niceness  (Read 1085 times)

Nocturne

Car--Towing & Repair Niceness
« on: April 12, 2007, 10:55:12 PM »
A few years ago, before my sister came to college in the same town, I used to go and visit her and my parents once a month or so.  She was in high school, and very popular, and often went to/had parties one weekend night that I was there.

Once one of her friends needed a ride, so I volunteered to go get Leslie (the friend).  However, as I was backing out of Leslie's parents' driveway, my car got stuck in a ditch.

The only neighbor home lived across the street.  I was hesitant about approaching him for a good reason--his sister had been married to my uncle for years prior to my birth, and my uncle had treated his wife (and her family) like crap the whole time they were married.  I hoped his rancor for my uncle would not affect helping me.

We went over and knocked, and he came to the door.  I introduced myself and told him the problem, and he said, "I know who you are!  You look so much like your mother.  Come in out of the cold and I'll have you out of the ditch in no time."

So we came in and his wife offered us cookies while he got us out of the ditch.  He came back a little shame-faced and said that he'd messed up and put a dent in the hood of my car...I was prepared to say "No problem" since he'd been nice enough to get us out of the ditch in the first place.  He said, "My friend's who's a mechanic has a shop open on X Street on Saturdays, so you go there tomorrow to get it taken care of and tell him to send me the bill and if he has any questions, call me."

He was so great about it, and as we were leaving he said, "Come back sometime and bring your family, I always thought really highly of your parents, especially how nice they were to Charlotte (his sister) before and after the divorce."

It was really super nice, and we sent him a thank-you card and a casserole about a week later.  His wife and my mother are now pretty good friends.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: Car--Towing & Repair Niceness
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:56:46 AM »
Wow! What a nice story.  It's so nice that the guy didn't have the attitude of "guilt by association".