Author Topic: Not the perfect Dip, but it's a start.  (Read 4828 times)

tartxcherries

• Bears.Beets.Battlestar Galactica!
Not the perfect Dip, but it's a start.
« on: February 13, 2009, 10:04:17 AM »
I had a story from last night about someone's first bean dip I just had to share. I have a friend online who is fed up with his best friend and his best friend's girlfriend.

[BG] My friend and his bff's gf do not like each other (that's a bit of an understatement) and he is tired of hearing his friend complain to him about his gf, getting his hopes up that his friend might leave the girl, then having the friend go back like nothing was wrong. This happens all the time. [/BG]

I listened to his problems with it then I enlighted him to the greatness that is bean dipping. After I explained what it was he vowed that the next time his friend tried to complain to him about his gf he would bean dip him, as his bff obviously didn't really want advice, just to vent, and my friend was tired of getting his hopes up for nothing.

Fast forward to last night's convo:
Him: So I bean dipped bff today.
Me: Yay, I love that you remembered that! How did it work?
Him: Well....not exactly how I planned it to. He was kinda blah blah gf this blah blah, and I just blurted out "How about the bean dip?!"
Me: rofl, well...I guess that kinda works too
Him: yeah, all I could remember was bean dip, I couldn't really remember how to execute it.
Me: well, on the bright side that probably did change the convo right?
Him: idk, he looked at me with a funny look and said "what?!" so I just said "BEAN DIP!" in a kinda duh! way and walked off.

I couldn't help but laugh, at least he tried.  ;D

smidget23

Re: Not the perfect Dip, but it's a start.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

That's so funny. It totally sounds like something that one of my friends would do. At least he's trying. Practice makes perfect.
Flair/Flare is very confusing. Even for authors.

2doglady

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:14:08 PM »
So thats the shorthand version???  I love it.  Cracked me right up!
Typical symptoms of stress are: eating too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast.

Are they kidding? Add wine and that is my idea of a perfect day.

yachtchick

• Caribbean Cat Charters
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:42 PM »
Don't laugh at him !  Before I became totally addicted to this site, I honestly thought that was the proper way to do it.  Have you tried the bean dip was used so often around my office people began asking WHAT BEAN DIP are you talking about?

::)
You can not control the wind - you can only adjust your sails.

tartxcherries

• Bears.Beets.Battlestar Galactica!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 12:37:11 AM »
Oh I'm just laughing with him, he was amused as well. I love him to death, it was just funny when he admitted that he couldn't remember how to bean dip, just that he wanted to!  ;D

extranormal

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
Too cute.

And it changed the subject, which is the point, so we could argue that he did it exactly right. As long as he doesn't mind that his friend thinks he's taken leave of his senses.

Asha

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
LOL  Laughing at the mental image I have of the exchange, esp. the looks on both faces.  Good for him for going for it.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »
For guys (or gals), you can tell them they can say "So how 'bout them Mets?" (or your favorite local sports team) instead.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
Yes, I once recognized that I was being bean-dipped (except that it was a relationship issue that I really did think needed discussing) and I said something like, "I get the feeling I'm being bean-dipped."

He didn't know what I was talking about and I didn't even try to explain.

littlebird

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 07:39:56 PM »
In high school we had the equivalent, which was to say "Spike!" One of our group of friends was a volleyball player and aparently it's a term for a move in volleyball. It was a way of letting the rest of us know that it was time to move on to a new topic.

Sparkle Star

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
I tried to bean-dip my BIL at the weekend. We have totally opposing views when it comes to state versus private education and I really didn't want to get into a row as we were all having a lovely evening.

I basically told him that, as things were getting heated, and then bean-dipped. But he wouldn't let it go and kept repeating his question to me. So I said again: "I'm not discussing this further as I don't want to end up with us falling out, you know we're both so stubborn we won't give in" (trying to keep it a bit light) and then moved on to something else.

But again he wouldn't let it go, or again.... In the end I left the room and went to join the kids on the Wii for a bit. I probably could have handled it better but I didn't know what else to do. :(
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 04:33:41 PM »
Tick, tick, my thinking cap is on...

How about,

"BIL, I am not going to argue about that subject tonight. But I'd love to engage you in a discussion about good manners."

Said right, it's still polite, and it's still a bean dip. And you may get the chance to gently educate him on the rudeness of trying to continue talking about a subject when the other person doesn't want to.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

toontownnutter

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Just smile and say well this never ends well, there is never a winner so tonight we are having such a nice evening how about we agree to disagree :)  See BEAN DIP the other day. (Insert weather, news article, sports result)

If he still does it, well we'll save a place in ehell for  him.