Author Topic: Tacky: Can I Buy Your Dress?????  (Read 9067 times)

Asharah

Tacky: Can I Buy Your Dress?????
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:29:31 PM »
I was recently a bridesmaid for a friend of mine. The bridesmaid dress she picked was lovely, although mine had a few glitches. Despite ordering it 4 months prior, I only received it a week and a half before the wedding and could not find anyone to alter it for me so I ended up fixing it myself. I must have done a pretty good job though, as one of the guests continually told me how pretty it was. After the ceremony, while waiting for our pictures to be taken I was visiting with the other bridesmaids when this same guest came up to me and again complimented my dress and then promptly asked, "Can I have it?" I thought at first she was joking, but she offered to pay me $10 for my dress (It originally cost $170). I was caught so off guard I said ok still thinking she must have been kidding. As the wedding wound down, I was saying good-bye to the bride when the guest came up to me and asked if she should follow me to my room so she could take the dress. I told her I had actually grown quite fond of the dress during the evening and decided to keep it. She seemed a bit surprised at this but quickly turned to the bridesmaid next to me and asked if she could have her dress. I have never encountered such odd behavior before. There are some strange people out there!
Asharah's comment: GOOD GOD!!!!!!!!! I can see asking somebody where they bought the dress so they can get one like it, but offering to buy the dress off somebody's back????????? For $10?????????
PlainTacky0730-07
Asharah

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
Re: Tacky: Can I Buy Your Dress?????
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
Actually I can see saying "I just love that dress, if you don't think you'll wear it again would you consider selling it to me?"

I mean a lot of attendants dresses are not anything the person would ever wear again. But I'm not sure I'd try and cheap out on the price like that. And following someone to secure the garment is really weird.

twinkletoes

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
Actually I can see saying "I just love that dress, if you don't think you'll wear it again would you consider selling it to me?"

I mean a lot of attendants dresses are not anything the person would ever wear again. But I'm not sure I'd try and cheap out on the price like that. And following someone to secure the garment is really weird.

Agreed.  If she had just asked once, and maybe followed up with a business card in case the writer changed her mind, then fine.  And yeah, what exactly did she think the BM was going to wear after she handed over the dress?!?

JadeAngel

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »
I had this actually happen to me, but it wasn't a bridesmaids dress it was my formal (prom) dress.

I was sitting on my bed reading when suddenly this woman walks into my bedroom, opens up my wardrobe and starts rifling through it. When i've stopped choking on my tongue I politely asked her what she thought she was doing and she told me that my mother had promised to give her my formal dress in exchange for a leather jacket and she was just grabbing it before she left.

To be fair my mother bought me the formal dress so it was hers to do what she pleased with but a little advance notice would have been nice. But in the end the leather jacket was exceedingly cool, and my mother who had liked it well enough to agree to trade my dress for it pretty much never saw it again...  ;D

librarianinhell

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:47 PM »

I was sitting on my bed reading when suddenly this woman walks into my bedroom, opens up my wardrobe and starts rifling through it. When i've stopped choking on my tongue I politely asked her what she thought she was doing and she told me that my mother had promised to give her my formal dress in exchange for a leather jacket and she was just grabbing it before she left.

:o

Though my mom had a habit of giving her bf stuff of mines, like I got a Batman coozie (sp) for Project Prom (it's a party after the Prom at the school so kids don't go down to Galveston, or rent a hotel room, and get drunk and die) as a prize.  My mom didn't even ask me if she could give it to her bf, she just gave it to him.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:04:47 AM »
Though my mom had a habit of giving her bf stuff of mines, like I got a Batman coozie (sp) for Project Prom (it's a party after the Prom at the school so kids don't go down to Galveston, or rent a hotel room, and get drunk and die) as a prize.  My mom didn't even ask me if she could give it to her bf, she just gave it to him.

My father used to do that - because he would give his friends the shirt off his back, he expected us kids (this was in the '70s) not to mind if he gave away our toys. And now we can't even talk about it because my SIL starts yelling at us for not getting over it.  :-\

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Asharah

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:39 AM »

My father used to do that - because he would give his friends the shirt off his back, he expected us kids (this was in the '70s) not to mind if he gave away our toys. And now we can't even talk about it because my SIL starts yelling at us for not getting over it.  :-\
So smack her with a Barbie doll!  ;D
Asharah

ladyonwheels

• cassie :)
  • does my charisma scare you?
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
that reminds me of  college. the prices of books and the prices you get selling them back should be illegal.

careful, i like bare toes ;D

Mrs. Eclipse

• The Terrible Pun
  • I know dreams come true because all of mine have.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 06:28:19 PM »
that reminds me of  college. the prices of books and the prices you get selling them back should be illegal.

Yeah, it's a really bad racket. Some of the practices that make them cost that much are just wrong.

When I was little my dad's mom would get stuff for us grandkids, and then give it away to the neighbor kids because she forgot she bought it for us. I remember coming to her house wanting to play in the little pink plastic house, and finding she had given it to the three boys across the street. Now, I don't want to get into a discussion of gender labels and how stereotypes are harmful to youths, but... come on, you gave a pink plastic house to three boys?!  ???

Apparently I'm not mad because I just suddenly started laughing out loud as I type this.
"My feet are killing me."
"That may be true, but you can't press charges unless you catch them in the act!"
-Sam & Max, Bright Side of the Moon

MegSong22

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:37:29 PM »
Speaking from the other side of the counter. Please for the love of all that's holy, take it up with the publishers. We have no say in what is charged, nor in what we can give you back for them. We want to buy your books back from you, we really do. But...we can't give everyone 50% for it, as much as we want to. Sorry for the minor rank folks, I am tired of getting screamed at for 'scamming' people. Most the employees are students themselves. We know exactly how you feel/felt.

HonorH

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »
Speaking from the other side of the counter. Please for the love of all that's holy, take it up with the publishers. We have no say in what is charged, nor in what we can give you back for them. We want to buy your books back from you, we really do. But...we can't give everyone 50% for it, as much as we want to. Sorry for the minor rank folks, I am tired of getting screamed at for 'scamming' people. Most the employees are students themselves. We know exactly how you feel/felt.

Quite true.  Don't shoot the messenger!
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Azrail

• 'If all the insects on earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on earth would disappear. If all humans disappeared, within 50 years all species would flourish as never before.'
  • Sometimes square parents have round babies.
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »

Yeah, it's a really bad racket. Some of the practices that make them cost that much are just wrong.

When I was little my dad's mom would get stuff for us grandkids, and then give it away to the neighbor kids because she forgot she bought it for us. I remember coming to her house wanting to play in the little pink plastic house, and finding she had given it to the three boys across the street. Now, I don't want to get into a discussion of gender labels and how stereotypes are harmful to youths, but... come on, you gave a pink plastic house to three boys?!  ???

Apparently I'm not mad because I just suddenly started laughing out loud as I type this.

I have a problem with hubby's family giving me stuff, (as in saying 'I don't need/want this, you can have it') then promptly forgetting they gave it to me and asking for it back. Now they wonder why I don't take anything they offer!
Wherever you are... that's where you happen to have gone.

Shea

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »
Speaking from the other side of the counter. Please for the love of all that's holy, take it up with the publishers. We have no say in what is charged, nor in what we can give you back for them. We want to buy your books back from you, we really do. But...we can't give everyone 50% for it, as much as we want to. Sorry for the minor rant folks, I am tired of getting screamed at for 'scamming' people. Most the employees are students themselves. We know exactly how you feel/felt.

Oh, so very, very true. I worked at my college bookstore during undergrad as part of my campaign to both pay tuition on time and eat something other than rice and beans on occasion. Students were always blowing up at me when they were told that the textbook they paid $150 was now worth $5.

I understand that it is lousy. I don't get any better of a deal than you just because I work here. Also I have no control whatsoever. STOP YELLING AT ME >:(.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 09:27:30 AM »
The thing that struck me as strangest about the story in the OP is that, after the bride declined to sell her dress, the woman turned to a bridesmaid and asked her!  It doesn't seem like she actually really like the bride's dress or anything, just wanted to get someone to sell her their dress.  Maybe it was a bet or a dare or something?

threepenny

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »
The thing that struck me as strangest about the story in the OP is that, after the bride declined to sell her dress, the woman turned to a bridesmaid and asked her!  It doesn't seem like she actually really like the bride's dress or anything, just wanted to get someone to sell her their dress.  Maybe it was a bet or a dare or something?

She didn't offer to buy the BRIDE'S dress - she wanted the bridesmaid's dress.