News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 29, 2015, 04:55:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need clarification about linking to other sites  (Read 330 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
I need clarification about linking to other sites
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:42:40 PM »
Can we post links to other crafting sites?  I found one I love and it has the most adorable little owls on it.  I wanted to link to it but am not sure whether or not we can do that.  The forum rules indicate this should not be done but it appears that the rule may only refer to when you are criticizing that other forum and not just wanting to share information about something, such as, "I found a great crafting site!".
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

MariaE

• Super Hero!
  • So many books, so little time
Re: I need clarification about linking to other sites
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 11:57:36 PM »
I've linked to ravelry several times, and that's never been an issue.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
I've linked to ravelry several times, and that's never been an issue.
Thanks.  I've see links to Etsy and DeviantArt but thought those were personal pages for the poster. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
The reason for the rule is to prevent inter-form hostilities. We've had several incidents where someone went on another forum and said something nasty, which then gave us an influx of even nastier people. EHellDame and the mods don't like that for obvious reasons.

I've never seen anyone moderated for linking something pleasant like a craft site. There are some people who have links to their Etsy shops in their signature lines, IIRC.

Use common sense. If the link is going to bring bad things to EHell, then don't do it!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:31:33 PM »
The reason for the rule is to prevent inter-form hostilities. We've had several incidents where someone went on another forum and said something nasty, which then gave us an influx of even nastier people. EHellDame and the mods don't like that for obvious reasons.

I've never seen anyone moderated for linking something pleasant like a craft site. There are some people who have links to their Etsy shops in their signature lines, IIRC.

Use common sense. If the link is going to bring bad things to EHell, then don't do it!
Drama is something no one needs.  I assume most go on the forums to have a positive experience and I'm glad that anything interfering with that is discouraged.  I think crafting forums are fun for all interested parties. I enjoy them.