News:

• April 23, 2018, 10:39:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: quote "trees".  (Read 357 times)

browzer11

quote "trees".
« on: April 15, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
I hope this is in the correct forum.

I've noticed for a long time that a person will post a problem or situation.

The very next person will include the entire post, then post their comment.

Or halfway down, someone will post a one page quote tree rehashing what others have said.

Why do some of you do this? It's beyond annoying. 

Just reference in one line what you're talking about and then post your comment.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: quote "trees".
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
Why does it matter?   Some people like having the quote tree to refer to.   Some people also like quoting the original post in their response, since sometimes the OP will edit the original to tell a different story if the thread's not going their way.

The only time it bugs me is if the quote tree is wrong, like when the response is inside the quote instead of outside or when a quote tag accidentally gets deleted.

Erich L-ster

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:55 PM »
It does get a bit too much sometimes. When the tree is like 5+ quotes long it might be nice to do some pruning.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 01:52:15 AM »
I hope this is in the correct forum.

I've noticed for a long time that a person will post a problem or situation.

The very next person will include the entire post, then post their comment.

This is actually quite useful under circumstances where the original poster substantially edits their initial post (or even deletes the entire contents, which is, I believe, against the forum rules).

As for the rest, I suspect at least some of it is people posting from mobile devices where pruning the quote tree isn't terribly easy to do.

Luci

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
On complicated issues, just picking out the line you are interested in is nice, but there may be another issue I am going to look at. For example, you may think the bridezilla is being demanding on her bridesmaids but I want to address the interfering mother who is constantly stirring things up.

Hillia

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 10:59:22 AM »
What athersgeo said.  I don't have a computer; all my posting is from my phone or tablet.  They give me enough fits trying to proofread all the stupid autocorrect errors; highlighting and trimming a quote tree is ridiculously hard.

Just in this response, every instance of 'all' turned out as 'ask'; ',proofread' was 'proffered', etc.