Author Topic: Any wine connoisseurs here?  (Read 4706 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Any wine connoisseurs here?
« on: December 15, 2006, 09:57:16 AM »
I'd like to get someone who is a wine afficianado but not really an expert a good bottle of wine for Christmas.  Red seems to be the preferred kind but I am clueless as to what would be a fine bottle of wine for this person to try.  Any suggestions?

girlmusic

Re: Any wine connoisseurs here?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 10:47:29 AM »
It depends on your price range - this year's George DuBoeuf Beaujolais Nouveau was very good but fairly inexpensive, at least in the US. You can never go wrong with a Cote Du Rhone from France - they are generally all good. If you want to get something fairly expensive, the best French choice is a Chateauneuf Du Pape.

"Mis en bouteille au..." chateau, domaine, or propriété indicate the wine was made at the same location as the grapes were grown. This a good indicator of a better quality product (IMHO) when you don't have too much more information.

I know less about Italian wine, but try either a Valpolicella or Sangiovese. I found this for you:
http://www.thewinedoctor.com/regionalguides/italy.shtml

liz5037

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »
George DuBoeuf Beaujolais Nouveau is good, the Beaujolais Villages is also very good, and Brouilly is even better.  (Basically can't go wrong with George DuBoeuf, unless the intended recipients happen to be fans of the very bold reds, these are pretty light).  I second the Chateauneuf du Pape too.  There is one (name escapes me, it's in a aged/dirty looking bottle) that has no years on the bottle becuase it's blended, and so very reliable, and very good.

Italian wines I know a little better.  If you want expensive get an Amarone (I like Costasera Masi). The Amarones are what I would get afficiandos, if I had a real job.  Masi Campofiorin Ripasso is also good, as well as San Felice Chianti Classico, and less $$$.  Secco Bertani Valpollicella (Chianti Ripasso) is another good everyone likes it kind of wine, less fruity than a regular Chianti. Chiantis with a pink rooster label around the neck are the "approved" ones, and are all generally pretty decent.

If you want a stronger red, the Jacob's Creek from Australia are good, but I prefer a lighter wine, so don't take my word for it.  And I don't know from white, except George DuBoeuf still good.  I'm curious to see what other recommendations you get.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:27:02 PM »
I used to work at a winery in Missouri (I know!) and several of their reds are really good.  If you can have alcohol shipped to you, try ordering online.

Stone Hill Winery (Main branch in Hermann, MO)

The wine I would suggest is called "Norton"- it is a dry red that is oak aged and will mature in the bottle for a few years after purchase, if desired.  Very rare and hard to get- it might amuse and then impress said friend.  Shouldn't be terribly expensive.  Several of their wines are good- if you decide to order from them, I can recommend others!!

Good luck!

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 11:38:29 AM »
It really depends on what you mean by good, and how much you are willing to spend. For a special bottle, you can start at probably $30 and head skyward from there. You need to get to a good wine shop, and they will be able to recommend something in the price range. There are so many different styles of red wine, and a lot depends on personal taste.

If it was for me, it would be a bottle of 1999 d'Arenberg Dead Arm Shiraz, which you could find for about $60.00 probably. It's worth it.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
I'd like to get someone who is a wine afficianado but not really an expert a good bottle of wine for Christmas.  Red seems to be the preferred kind but I am clueless as to what would be a fine bottle of wine for this person to try.  Any suggestions?

A Pinot Noir from Oregon (sort of a mid-range) would be excellent.  We shared a bottle at Thanksgiving, and everyone said it was fabulous.  It was about $16, I think.

Oregon is fast becoming notable for its fine Pinots.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:05:55 PM »
You can get in touch with the folks at the Chateau Elan Winery near Atlanta. Their Autumn and Winter varities are smashing....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:11:51 PM »
Red seems to be the preferred kind but I am clueless as to what would be a fine bottle of wine for this person to try.  Any suggestions?

Yellow Tail (from Australia) has a good Shiraz -- we just bought a bottle of the 2006 Reserve for my brother in law.  Got it at Beverages and More for a decent price.  We also got a bottle of Ravenswood old vine Zinfandel, again at BevMo.

We also get a fair amount of wine from several small California wineries, mostly along the central coast and a bit inland -- easily as good as anything from the Napa valley.  One of our favorites is Guglielmo  Even their plain "red table wine" is quite good.  They have an online store.  They have some very nice gift baskets as well.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 10:50:48 PM »
Am a fan of "Jest Red Table Wine" and Coppola's Claret, both American.  I think that most of Coppola's wines have been good. 

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 04:47:21 PM »
I ended up choosing two wines:

Clare Valley Reilly's Barking Mad 2004 Shiraz ( A Southern Starz Selection: Australia/New Zealand/South Africa)

Coppola's 2004 Merlot

Not too expensive but more expensive than the person receiving them typically spends.

I've definitely made note of the other wines mentioned here for future purchases.  There's a birthday coming up in February.  Thanks all!

Hawkwatcher

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 04:48:35 PM »
I am glad that you found your wines.  For future wine purchases, you might want to consider Carlson Vineyards in Colorado.  Carlson Vineyards has some good wines including a cherry wine that is not too sweet.  My husband, who prefers red wine, likes both their cherry wine and plum wine.  Here is their website http://www.carlsonvineyards.com/wines.cfm

One good wine that you should be able to find in your local stores would be Gnarly Head Old Vine Zin, which is a moderately priced-red Zin.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 04:50:31 PM by Hawkwatcher »

P_Cloud

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 09:49:47 AM »
Could I also ask for advice in this thread?

I want to get my grandma a bottle of wine to go with her wine glasses I got her for Christmas. All I really know is she likes Chardonnay and White Zinfandel. I'd like to spend about $25. I appreciate any suggestions as I am clueless on this subject and my attempt at internet search was really intimidating.

ETA: I will have to pick it up at a store in Oregon when I get there, if that matters.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:51:25 AM by P_Cloud »

veryfluffy

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 10:00:53 AM »
Oregon has brilliant chardonnays -- ideal in the climate there, apparently. Your best bet is to do a bit of online research into the different wineries -- try googling "oregon chardonnay" and look for some reviews.

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »
I'll jump on this bandwagon since I just bought a few bottles for a wine enthusiast on my list. The Williamsburg Vineyard reserve collection is amazing. I got him a bottle from a special line. In VA there was a "law" or custom that each person must plant a certain amount of grape vine to produce wine, and this wine is made from that line.

:) I just love the history!

EddiesMom

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 08:44:15 PM »
Could I also ask for advice in this thread?

I want to get my grandma a bottle of wine to go with her wine glasses I got her for Christmas. All I really know is she likes Chardonnay and White Zinfandel. I'd like to spend about $25. I appreciate any suggestions as I am clueless on this subject and my attempt at internet search was really intimidating.

ETA: I will have to pick it up at a store in Oregon when I get there, if that matters.

I'd recommend a nice German Riesling.  I've had good luck with Rheingau.  Go to a nice wine shop and tell them what you posted here.  I have a feeling they will suggest either a Riesling or Gewurztraminer. 

If you'd like to spend a bit more, think about an Eiswein (Ice Wine).  These are sweet, syrupy, and fabulous with dessert!