Author Topic: A new project!  (Read 25367 times)

MrsO

• Super Hero!
Re: A new project!
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 07:20:50 AM »
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable but Ehelldame above has cited it as an example of what she would include. So do we agree we are talking US-specific etiquette?

And maybe have a separate section for 'international' etiquette, where it varies from US.
While I agree with this to a point, I think the difference are too big to include a section on international etiquette. For example, showers aren't done in the UK, I've never come aross anyone who's had a registry for anything, as you mentioned with the birthday partys here, etc. And that's just the UK, not other parts of the world!

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:55 AM »
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable but Ehelldame above has cited it as an example of what she would include. So do we agree we are talking US-specific etiquette?

And maybe have a separate section for 'international' etiquette, where it varies from US.
While I agree with this to a point, I think the difference are too big to include a section on international etiquette. For example, showers aren't done in the UK, I've never come aross anyone who's had a registry for anything, as you mentioned with the birthday partys here, etc. And that's just the UK, not other parts of the world!

Perhaps if nationality or region is important it could be mentioned in part of the thread title. Such as "WEDDINGS: Receptions in the UK..." or somesuch.

jibby

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »

Hmmm...all excellent points.  I wonder if, since this is web-based only, there could be footnotes explaining that the custom varies widely in (insert area here), and a link to a thread which the Dame and/or the mods agree perfectly explains that difference? 

ETA: I absolutely love the concept of an official guide book!

Asha

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
Oh, and I forgot...can someone come up with a better name for this than "Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly"?  My creative brain cells appear to be on vacation.

"The E-Hell Guide to Heavenly Behaviour"  (or behavior, me and my new-found Canadian spellings!)

As for the international part, what could happen is that the body of a topic is written as broadly as possibly and then there are "add-ons" for cultural variations.  Such as:

Topic: Who Pays for Bridesmaids Dresses?

Main body: "Generally, bridesmaids are expected to pay for their own attire" blah blah about respecting budgets, expectations, communication, etc.

Add-on:  Cultural Alert!  In the UK, it is considered the responsibilty of the happy couple to provide attire.

Which means that we all need to remember to post a cultural/geographic reference when contributing.

BettyDraper

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »
Love "The E-Hell Guide to Heavenly Behaviour"    :)

What an enthralling project.

I've always been fascinated by the old (and contemporary) etiquette guides to the care and feeding of houseguests (i.e. overnight or longer.)   I'd be willing to tackle that topic. 

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 10:11:54 AM »
"the Ehell train"

i agree with marking some threads as US  or UK  or AU  or EU specific  because i know over here in australia  having a "bring a plate"  (pot luck)  wedding is great but frowned on in the US

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »
"the Ehell train"

i agree with marking some threads as US  or UK  or AU  or EU specific  because i know over here in australia  having a "bring a plate"  (pot luck)  wedding is great but frowned on in the US

Certain denominations( I know for certain the Brethren are one) are pro-potluck receptions. It's part of their "Church is Family" philosophy.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »
I would like to see worship service/wedding etiquette for different denominations.  We often see threads about, "I'm going to a Mormon ring ceremony/Bar Mitzvah/First Communion, what will this entail?"

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 07:44:17 PM »
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable

Err, no it's not. We do it, but it's not etiquette approved.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 02:05:30 AM »
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable

Err, no it's not. We do it, but it's not etiquette approved.
Okay then, it's etiquette approved in Denmark :-)

(But of course "hosting your own birthday party" also means "paying for it yourself").

Showers is another thing. They're not really all that common in Denmark yet, but when they are given (bridal and baby both), it's as often thrown by family members as by friends. Both equally etiquette approved.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

celine.lechat

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
I'm seconding the suggestions of footnotes when etiquette differs depending on ethnicity/religion/country.

My own example is the french marriage law : civil marriage is the only one recognised by french law. Religious ceremonies are optional, have no legal status and may only be held after the civil ceremony has taken place.
That means that if you're getting married in france, you must have two separate ceremonies.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
Cool idea.

I kind of like the following topics myself:
-Guest lists/uninvited guests
-Online etiquette
-Gifts and registries

Get writing, girl.  I know I have pet peeve areas (office moochers...grrrr) and after years on this forum, I know others do, too. 

Done!
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »
For the name, how about "The Path to Ehell Sainthood" or "How to Become an Ehell Saint"?

afreet

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 04:35:11 PM »
The E-Hell E-Guide for E-Hellions  ;D

Skepchick

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »
Ehelldame,

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this. It sounds like a good idea that will become a useful thing.

Skepchick