Author Topic: A new project!  (Read 25359 times)

Sycorax

Re: A new project!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
Dears,
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable

Err, no it's not. We do it, but it's not etiquette approved.
Okay then, it's etiquette approved in Denmark :-)
Also in Germany - and even more: I've never heard of someone hosting a birthday party for someone else here.

What brings me to a subject: The etiquette of dealing with strangers.

Sycorax
"Wouldn't that be a subject too?"

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 07:12:44 AM »
Dears,
MariaE raises a good point. For example, hosting your own birthday party in the UK is perfectly acceptable

Err, no it's not. We do it, but it's not etiquette approved.
Okay then, it's etiquette approved in Denmark :-)
Also in Germany - and even more: I've never heard of someone hosting a birthday party for someone else here.

What brings me to a subject: The etiquette of dealing with strangers.

Sycorax
"Wouldn't that be a subject too?"

A great subject... the etiquette of cultural etiquette.

As for birthdays... not getting into that again. No way. No how.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »
Netiquette In A Nutshell is my vote for the title - but I just like alliteration.............(it needs another N for true alliteration).

I agree with the division into USA and "other" countries - perhaps by continent?  Unless there are major variations (Europe does come to mind) that need to be addressed - or would it be possible to do a breakdown by "cultural source"?  For instance Muslim, Christian, or other major religious group - not just Saudi Arabia,  England, or Java.  Sometimes a group's choice of etiquette can be dictated by culture, sometimes by religion, and sometimes by area of origin.  Most people seem to think that the way THEY do it is the most right way (if not the only correct way).

I was quite shocked to find that some people had more for a wedding reception than cake, punch, and little wedding mints or Jordan almonds - but not shocked to the point of telling them that they were WRONG - just amazed that I was going to get an "extra" meal that day (and actually quite happy as I was a perpetually hungry teenager at the time).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And it should include a section on how to handle someone else's computer when they allow you to use it as a house guest or for other reasons, possibly broken down by work and social situation - as well as a section on how to be correct when either allowing the use of the computer (setting up a guest account with limited access is NOT wrong - it is self protection) or saying "NO" (again, it is not wrong, it is self protection!).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:16:15 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2009, 09:53:16 AM »
When would you consider a topic complete, EhellDame? I've got one that hasn't been posted in for a couple of days, and I think we've covered everything. Do you want a PM when we're ready to submit, or will you just pull them out? No rush, of course. Just curious.

I prefer that once a topic has reached its saturation point that the OP combine all comments into a final post to the thread and then PM me when done.  I'll close the thread and move it to a different location on the site. 

CNN

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:55 AM »
Netiquette In A Nutshell is my vote for the title - but I just like alliteration.............(it needs another N for true alliteration).

I agree with the division into USA and "other" countries - perhaps by continent?  Unless there are major variations (Europe does come to mind) that need to be addressed - or would it be possible to do a breakdown by "cultural source"?  For instance Muslim, Christian, or other major religious group - not just Saudi Arabia,  England, or Java.  Sometimes a group's choice of etiquette can be dictated by culture, sometimes by religion, and sometimes by area of origin.  Most people seem to think that the way THEY do it is the most right way (if not the only correct way).

I was quite shocked to find that some people had more for a wedding reception than cake, punch, and little wedding mints or Jordan almonds - but not shocked to the point of telling them that they were WRONG - just amazed that I was going to get an "extra" meal that day (and actually quite happy as I was a perpetually hungry teenager at the time).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And it should include a section on how to handle someone else's computer when they allow you to use it as a house guest or for other reasons, possibly broken down by work and social situation - as well as a section on how to be correct when either allowing the use of the computer (setting up a guest account with limited access is NOT wrong - it is self protection) or saying "NO" (again, it is not wrong, it is self protection!).

I think the division of etiquette by region is a wonderful idea. I'm African and frankly, 80% of the complaints here are suprising to me. You host your own birthday parties once you are an adult (who else would) unless you are married and your spouse and/or children what to suprise you. You cannot invite someone to a wedding and say "no children". In fact that's enough to probably ostracise you for life. RSVP is on the card just so you have someone to call if you need extra information. And if you invite a married person, you have invited the whole family plus any other dependants. There is nothing like a head count or registries at weddings at weddings. Your child can be spanked by a total stranger in front of you if you don't keep him in check. And most people have no idea what a shower is (unless you are talking about the rain). I think this is enough to show that etiquette varies vastly by region/culture.

Lillie82

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 11:55:31 PM »
When would you consider a topic complete, EhellDame? I've got one that hasn't been posted in for a couple of days, and I think we've covered everything. Do you want a PM when we're ready to submit, or will you just pull them out? No rush, of course. Just curious.

I prefer that once a topic has reached its saturation point that the OP combine all comments into a final post to the thread and then PM me when done.  I'll close the thread and move it to a different location on the site. 

Sounds good. Thank you.

Is the "Etiquette for the Mentally Ill" thread "saturated?" I was curious about why it was locked.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 10:50:26 PM »

Is the "Etiquette for the Mentally Ill" thread "saturated?" I was curious about why it was locked.

If you read to the bottom of that thread, you'll see that a mod posted the reason why they were locking the thread in the final post. It wasn't an etiquette topic but touched more onto medical issues, which is beyond the scope of this forum.

"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"