Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Everyday: Diaperbag Etiquette

(1/3) > >>

Oxymoroness:
No real story attached, just things that I'm learning while traveling with Baby Oxy. She seems to have a real talent for outputting the worst and most diapers when I'm away from home and no where near a bathroom. In an effort to remain as polite to the general public as possible I'm trying a few things. (If I'm wrong, a gentle smack upside the head please.)

1. Keep "Diaper Containment Units" (aka Ziploc baggies) on hand so that Baby Oxy's output remains contained.

2. Only toss out filled Diaper Containment Units (CDUs) in other's trashcans as invited. Otherwise, place them in designated diaper bag space.

3. If there is no place private to change Baby, pick a corner on the floor as far away from general public view as possible.

4. Use your own changing pad as much as possible.

5. Never change on a surface where food is eaten or served unless absolutely necessary. And if you do, thoroughly wipe and clean area with disinfectant.

6. Use your own supplies unless offered otherwise.

Anything else?

HoneyBeeBrie:
No specific suggestions, but how about for changing baby in public places (like on a plane or bus trip, in restaurants and stores, etc.)

immadz:
If it is necessary to change a baby on a bus, try to move to seats at the very back of the bus. Politely request people already seated to reseat themselves. Lay pportable changing mat on seat adn then proceed to change baby. Always remember diaper containment units.

On planes, use bathroom or flight attendant seating area. They will allow you to go back in there, pull the curtain shut for a few minutes. Dont wake sleeping FAs and thank politely once you are done.

snowball's chance:
Please change your child in public as needed, in lieu of waiting til you get home or out to the car.  No one wants to smell a soiled diaper, and your child might get fussy.

bluebirds:

--- Quote from: immadz on February 25, 2009, 11:31:21 PM ---If it is necessary to change a baby on a bus, try to move to seats at the very back of the bus. Politely request people already seated to reseat themselves. Lay pportable changing mat on seat adn then proceed to change baby. Always remember diaper containment units.

On planes, use bathroom or flight attendant seating area. They will allow you to go back in there, pull the curtain shut for a few minutes. Dont wake sleeping FAs and thank politely once you are done.

--- End quote ---

See, I would have thought that if one had a double-seat then it was ok to change the baby (on the mat, of course) on the seat by the window. It also depends how long the journey is - on a coach trip, when 'back seats' seem to be quite coveted, I wouldn't ask the people to move and try to be as discreet as possible. On city buses, I'd either wait until my stop, or get off when it is convenient and find a place to change the baby (I'm picturing London, here, so a bus around town has a good chance of stopping near a place that has baby changing areas - would it be rude to use those if not purchasing something ???)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version