Author Topic: To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country  (Read 5055 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Re: To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »
5. If you put your knife and fork together in the middle of the plate at a restaurant, this is a sign to the waitron that you have finished. They will take your plate away. So until you're finished, leave them on opposite sides of the plate.
Is this not a universal thing?  ???  I had no idea this was only done in SA! (Mind you, I also didn't know that not everyone eats with fork in left hand and knife in right). ::)
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2010, 01:30:27 AM »
I got excited when I was up in NJ - I realized that I could walk into a Kosher restaurant (I'd never seen one in Texas) and ask for something that would be Kosher for Passover with no matzo, and they knew exactly what I could and could not eat.

Small technical note - it wouldn't actually be kosher for Passover unless you were there during Passover, as Passover involves either re-kashering everything or hauling out a separate set of pots/pans/utensils/dishes and hunting down and throwing away or selling every last bit of leaven-containing naughtiness.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »

Re: #10. Are people actually put off by stuff labeled halaal? I mean, have you actually encountered this phenomenon? If so, I weep for our species.

Halal and kosher meat comes from animals which are not unconscious at the time of slaughter -- they are killed by having their throats slit while conscious. Some people object to this.

In which case I'd encourage them to do the research about the methods of inducing unconsciousness vs. the couple of seconds it takes the animal to die during kosher slaughter...

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 11:35:16 AM »
5. If you put your knife and fork together in the middle of the plate at a restaurant, this is a sign to the waitron that you have finished. They will take your plate away. So until you're finished, leave them on opposite sides of the plate.
Is this not a universal thing?  ???  I had no idea this was only done in SA! (Mind you, I also didn't know that not everyone eats with fork in left hand and knife in right). ::)

Apparently not. I have a friend whose husband is American and he said that he got freaked out one day when he put his knife and fork together and the waitron took his plate away. (He's from Seattle.)

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »

Apparently not. I have a friend whose husband is American and he said that he got freaked out one day when he put his knife and fork together and the waitron took his plate away. (He's from Seattle.)

We do that here too, so maybe it is a Southern Hemisphere thing!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Solanna Dryden

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »

We do that here too, so maybe it is a Southern Hemisphere thing!

I'm in Canada and I've always been taught to do that...
Honey badger don't care. YOLO

mandycorn

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 07:01:07 PM »
I live in America and I've been taught to do that too, but I don't think the waitstaff at most restaurants around here have been trained to look for it.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Shortcake

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
I live in America and I've been taught to do that too, but I don't think the waitstaff at most restaurants around here have been trained to look for it.

I have been taught to do this as well. (I am from the US) In my experience if there is food still left in the plate, the waitstaff will ask me if I am finished before they take my plate even if I have put my knife and fork together in the middle of my plate.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana