Author Topic: Online etiquette  (Read 11279 times)

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
Re: Online etiquette
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 02:31:33 AM »
In an internet discussion, read the entire thread before posting.
I agree with what you wrote in your post, but I think there should be a caveat for the above phrase.  If a thread is more than, say, ten pages, I think newcomers get a pass for not reading the whole thing.  At least read the first page and then the last two or something to get the gist of the thread though.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 06:23:42 AM »
I should have modified that for another reason:  The thread may have drifted into something else or gone off-topic.  Historically if that happens I don't bother posting.

Someone in that other thread someone suggested that whenever someone asks a question answered earlier that it be pointed out to them that the answer is in post #whatever.  That is what I have decided to do from now on.

If a thread is more than 20 pages I can understand, but I think that 10 is reasonable to expect someone to read the whole thing. 

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 04:20:59 PM »
Regarding overly long posts:

If you must write a long post, separate the paragraphs with a blank line. This makes them easier to read, which means people are more likely to read all of it.

If you are responding to a complicated question, or to several questions at once, it is permissible to write a post up to 3 pages long. Yes, it is possible to edit a loooong screed down to one page; I've done it myself.

Before you answer a question, read the whole thread to see if someone else has answered the same way you want to. (I would be posting 4 or 5 times as much on these forums if I didn't do that.)

Please use the space bar between sentences. Otherwise, it is tiring on the eyes to read.

If you don't want to use the shift key, type in all lower-case.

Each group, forum, and blog has its own flavor. Try to conform to this flavor; at least, don't try to change it.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

If a thread is more than 20 pages I can understand, but I think that 10 is reasonable to expect someone to read the whole thing. 

I think it all depends on the nature of the posts.  If there are 10 pages of one line answers, I can see that, but if there are ten pages of long, involved posts, or everyone either agrees, or there's a cyclical argument going on, I don't think it's rude at all to skip parts of it, even if it's only 10 pages. 

I do find it very annoying when a thread is only on the second page, and people are obviously not reading the replies.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 06:53:35 PM »

I think it all depends on the nature of the posts.  If there are 10 pages of one line answers, I can see that, but if there are ten pages of long, involved posts, or everyone either agrees, or there's a cyclical argument going on, I don't think it's rude at all to skip parts of it, even if it's only 10 pages. 

I do find it very annoying when a thread is only on the second page, and people are obviously not reading the replies.
Maybe the idea here is that newcomers to a thread should do their best to learn what has already been discussed in the thread.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »
For website designers: 

Please, unless you are creating a site for a musician, do not have sound automatically on the home page.  It is jarring to the person visiting the site, especially if s/he is viewing the site in a public place, including the workplace.  It also clashes with any music being played through the computer.

If your client must have sound automatically loading on the homepage, please provide an easy-to-find place to click on to stop it. 

Sycorax

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2009, 06:50:05 AM »
Yes, Venus
For website designers: 

Please, unless you are creating a site for a musician, do not have sound automatically on the home page.  It is jarring to the person visiting the site, especially if s/he is viewing the site in a public place, including the workplace.  It also clashes with any music being played through the computer.

If your client must have sound automatically loading on the homepage, please provide an easy-to-find place to click on to stop it. 
the biggest, fattest POD I can find on that!

There's no way to make me hit the return button faster as with music automatically coming up with a website. I can bear with blinking things, I can even bear with ghastly colours, but music is an absolute no-no-no for me. I mostly have music on when surfing the net, so any music on a website clashes with the music I play.

Sycorax
"If I were the ruler of the internet, I'd make a law against music on websites!"  >:D

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »
I agree with what you wrote in your post, but I think there should be a caveat for the above phrase.  If a thread is more than, say, ten pages, I think newcomers get a pass for not reading the whole thing.  At least read the first page and then the last two or something to get the gist of the thread though.

I disagree. I think you should read all of the posts before you respond. If it's a long enough thread, the OP may have already addressed whatever you're going to say. How many times have you read a post that asks a question that was discussed, in detail, 5 pages ago? So if you read the first page and last page, you may have missed a 2-page discussion midthread that completely answers your question. And the longer the thread is, the more important it is (IMHO) not to add to it unnecessarily.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2009, 03:14:09 PM »

I disagree. I think you should read all of the posts before you respond. If it's a long enough thread, the OP may have already addressed whatever you're going to say. How many times have you read a post that asks a question that was discussed, in detail, 5 pages ago? So if you read the first page and last page, you may have missed a 2-page discussion midthread that completely answers your question. And the longer the thread is, the more important it is (IMHO) not to add to it unnecessarily.

Pod to caranfin.  Usually responding to someone's OP specifically after 11 pages, mot likely whatever you are going to add is irrelevant/off-topic at that point because the situation has changed or updated, or because of inevitable thread drift.

RooRoo

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2009, 04:14:10 PM »
Thread drift should not be "inevitable." We should keep on topic, or open a spin-off thread.

I see posting a return to the original topic as a good thing. The only exception is when the original poster has changed the subject his/herself. That's another reason it's important to read the whole thread.

It's also a good reason to mark "drifts" as off-topic, so that people can skip them, if they wish.

"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »
It's not just thread drift - sometimes the story evolves to the point that responding to what you read in the OP is completely irrelevant.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
Thread drift should not be "inevitable." We should keep on topic, or open a spin-off thread.

I disagree.  Often an OP will be about an etiquette situation specific to an issue that the OP is having.  Once the specific situation is for all intents & purposes is resolved for the poster, there's no reason the etiquette question can't be discussed in general terms after that.  Or a subsequent post will garner responses that are specific to that response vs. the OP.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:38 PM »
How about setting limits on nested quote levels?  It can be very confusing after a while to read through a thread where ten consecutive posts quote the entire previous one.

It's rude to inconvenience too many electrons at once.   ;D

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
How about setting limits on nested quote levels?  It can be very confusing after a while to read through a thread where ten consecutive posts quote the entire previous one.

It's rude to inconvenience too many electrons at once.   ;D
You mean after a while, people should discontinue the Quote Pyramid?

Someone quote me and we'll build an example. ;)

RooRoo

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2009, 11:27:11 PM »
Once the specific situation is for all intents & purposes is resolved for the poster, there's no reason the etiquette question can't be discussed in general terms after that.

Ah, but that's not thread drift. It's still the same etiquette question being discussed. I'm referring to things like:

"(On topic discussion), and by the way, I saw something like that on 'X Files' once."

"X Files is the best! Did you see the one they filmed in Albuquerque?"

"I live in ABQ, and got Duchovny's autograph!"

Followed by two or more pages of talk about X Files. Then someone makes an on topic post, but the next 5 posters continue the off-topic discussion. This is rather rude to the people who want to read about the original question, or are waiting for an update. They have the choice to either drop off, or page through what is, to them, a lot of nonsense.

Better to say, "X-files is the best! Let's talk about it over in the Coffee House! I'll make the first post!"

It can also happen in more natural ways. For instance, the original post about TP and her SS behavior at Easter dinner drifted into a discussion about proper manners around vegans and vegetarians. That's not too far off topic, but it's still off topic.

I am most fervent',
Your friend and servant,
Samuel Pepys RooRoo