Author Topic: Online etiquette  (Read 10801 times)

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
Re: Online etiquette
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 10:11:22 AM »
How about setting limits on nested quote levels?  It can be very confusing after a while to read through a thread where ten consecutive posts quote the entire previous one.

It's rude to inconvenience too many electrons at once.   ;D
You mean after a while, people should discontinue the Quote Pyramid?

Someone quote me and we'll build an example. ;)

You mean like this? We shouldn't do this?  ;D
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 10:29:03 AM »
How about setting limits on nested quote levels?  It can be very confusing after a while to read through a thread where ten consecutive posts quote the entire previous one.

It's rude to inconvenience too many electrons at once.   ;D
You mean after a while, people should discontinue the Quote Pyramid?

Someone quote me and we'll build an example. ;)

You mean like this? We shouldn't do this?  ;D
Apparently, some people think it's a bad idea.  ;)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 10:31:47 AM »
It really bugs me when that gets out of hand.

Adorable kitty, BTW.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »
It really bugs me when that gets out of hand.

Adorable kitty, BTW.
I agree that it can be annoying in a serious threads. Huge Quote Pyramids really only make sense when a running joke is being quoted (such as above ;) ). In a serious discussion, this could be distracting. (I think a joke is fine in a serious thread as long as it doesn't take over.)
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Chartreuse

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
One to add to this from yesterday:

On online forums, if you are going to honor a certain group of people and want to specifically mention individuals, make sure you list everyone who fits the description.  Excluding people can be very insulting and can lead to hurt feelings.  If you can't be guaranteed to not exclude people, it would be wise to just write a generic message that does not specifically list people by name.
Tact: The ability to tell some one to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2009, 06:15:41 PM »
You mean like, "Thanks to everyone who helped design the new skins for the forum," instead of "Thanks to Steve, Jane, Bob, Stu and Lucy for making new forum skins," when that list leave out Anne who also put a lot of time into it?

I have never seen such a thing, but it certainly isn't nice to exclude people.

Chartreuse

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
You mean like, "Thanks to everyone who helped design the new skins for the forum," instead of "Thanks to Steve, Jane, Bob, Stu and Lucy for making new forum skins," when that list leave out Anne who also put a lot of time into it?

I have never seen such a thing, but it certainly isn't nice to exclude people.

Exactly.  "Happy Birthday to those born this month" vs "Happy Birthday to Bob, Steve, Jane, Stu and Lucy"... and managing to forget Anne, Carol, James, and Fred.  If you can't be guaranteed to no exclude somebody, it's better to not name names.
Tact: The ability to tell some one to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

misha412

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »

If you don't want to use the shift key, type in all lower-case.

If you type in all lower-case, please do not make your paragraphs took long.

typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah typing in all lower case letters can drive someone nuts especially when proper nouns like english,germany,fred,frank and arthur are all lower case.and please observe the need to space between sentances and periods.this can cause someone to go bonkers trying to read and figure out what you are talking about.capital letters are not evil nor do they need to be confined.blah-blah-blah-blah

About 6 iterations of the same group of sentances without capital letters nor proper spacing between commas or sentances.

jenny_islander

« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2009, 03:42:25 AM »
When using a service such as Yahoo! Groups that allows you to reply to plain-text messages, it's courteous to cut everything that you aren't replying to.  Otherwise, after you hit POST, you will see the first message in the thread followed by a sig and whatever advertising the group server attaches to each message automatically, followed by another message set off by single carets (>) and its sig and ads, followed by a third message with double carets (>>) and its sig and ads . . . followed by yet another message set off by n carets and a sig and ads, followed by your reply, followed (if your group is anything like the ones I frequent) by several separate e-mails consisting merely of a subject line and "CUT CUT OW MY ACHIN' EYEBALLS CUUUUUTTT." 

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »
Misha412's hilarious example underscores the need to always, always have adequate paragraph breaks. There shouldn't be more than about six or seven sentences in a paragraph written on-line.

This isn't a grammar rule, but don't forget that while we're reading these posts, we're basically staring at a lamp.

Another aspect of online etiquette, similar to avoiding writing in all caps, is always write your post in the default font size and colour. Only use different fonts, sizes and/or colour to add emphasis. Don't have an entire paragraph written like this or like this.

look in the tunk

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
This may be kind of off-topic, but what do y'all think about excessive bragging via the Internet?

I know a few people who always put something of a bragging nature in every single Facebook/MySpace status.

Is this rude?

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2009, 12:37:34 PM »
This may be kind of off-topic, but what do y'all think about excessive bragging via the Internet?

I know a few people who always put something of a bragging nature in every single Facebook/MySpace status.

Is this rude?
I'm don't know whether or not it's rude, but it certainly sounds obnoxious.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »

Is this rude?
I'm don't know whether or not it's rude, but it certainly sounds obnoxious.
I wouldn't say it's rude, per se, but it does seem pretty lame to me.

RoseRose

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 04:58:40 AM »
Don't pretend you're dead, then later go, "Ha!  Just kidding!".  (Yes, this has happened on another board I was on, and to a friend whose friend did it just to her over facebook.)  Just don't.  It's wrong, and WILL make people legitimately mad.