Author Topic: Public Transportation  (Read 32093 times)

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
Re: Public Transportation
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
Oh, I agree, something needs to be said if someone is sitting in the outside seat.  I just think it's a bit odd to ask permission to sit in an open seat that doesn't require anyone to move for you to get into it.  I've never had anyone refuse me either, but why ask a question if yes is the only acceptable answer?

(also, we're planning a Chicago meet and greet in the Chicago folder, if you're at all interested)

Miranda

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
Very cool--I'm going to check that out!  Thanks for the heads-up!

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 12:10:46 AM »
If there is a seat available and the bus is filling up, you should sit down. I've often seen people unable to get on a bus because there is no more standing room available, when meanwhile there are empty seats at the back.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 09:11:29 AM »
If there is a seat available and the bus is filling up, you should sit down. I've often seen people unable to get on a bus because there is no more standing room available, when meanwhile there are empty seats at the back.

POD.

Also, if you have headphones on or are talking on your cell phone, please keep all volume to a reasonable level.  Not everyone shares your taste in music, nor do they want to hear about your previous evening's escapades, thankyouverymuch. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
Also, if you have headphones on or are talking on your cell phone, please keep all volume to a reasonable level.  Not everyone shares your taste in music, nor do they want to hear about your previous evening's escapades, thankyouverymuch. 

Pod!  Or there's this new thing called "texting"  ::)

Plan your trip ahead of time!!  Figure out where you are going, where you need to get off, where/when/if you need a transfer ahead of time.  Most transit authorities have this info available online and by phone.  My transit authority has a service that will walk you through planning your trip by phone.

It's one thing to confirm with a bus driver as you enter, "Is this the 15B or 15C?"; it's another to take up time getting lots of directions from the driver, and even then it's helpful til you've waited til everyone is seated instead of holding up the line because you want to know where to catch the bus you need to transfer to.

Have exact fare ready if you are paying cash, or your card ready if you pay using that.  It's not fair to get on the bus and expect that other passengers will have change for a twenty!  It's also not fair to everyone waiting behind you on cold/hot days for you to hold up the line looking for money or your card at the bottom of your bag. 

If others were at the bus/train stop ahead of you, it's polite to let them enter before you.

Gyburc

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 07:03:07 AM »
I'd like to add:

If you take the aisle seat on the bus next to someone who is already sitting there, please do respect their personal space as far as possible. Some contact is probably unavoidable, but please try to avoid squishing right up against them or sticking your elbow into their ribs.

(Yes, I take the bus to work regularly  :))

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »
Important rule- If you must ride escalators within your subway system, do NOT stop at the bottom or top of the escalator. You may not know where you are going, but the 20 people behind you do. Right into the tracks if they can't get around you. (Not because they deliberately pushed you, but because they can't stop because of the crush behind them.)

Also, obey the Stand Right Walk Left signs. Don't walk along the middle of an escalator that is meant to hold two people on each step. Let others pass.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 08:53:37 AM »
When you're sitting on the aisle, the person sitting on the inside of your seat may need to exit before you do, so keep in mind you may need to stand up to let them out, even is you're in the middle of your book or texting someone.  

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 02:31:56 PM »
Quote from: Winterlight

Also, obey the Stand Right Walk Left signs.

Even if they're invisible!

Elphaba

• It's not easy being green
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 10:44:04 AM »
Plan your trip ahead of time!!  Figure out where you are going, where you need to get off, where/when/if you need a transfer ahead of time.  Most transit authorities have this info available online and by phone.  My transit authority has a service that will walk you through planning your trip by phone.

It's one thing to confirm with a bus driver as you enter, "Is this the 15B or 15C?"; it's another to take up time getting lots of directions from the driver, and even then it's helpful til you've waited til everyone is seated instead of holding up the line because you want to know where to catch the bus you need to transfer to.

I cannot POD this one enough. The driver is NOT there to plan your trip. Though many drivers are very familiar with the bus schedules, they probably dont know everything and asking them endless questions about the next bus, exactly where this bus stops, what it connects with, etc etc etc at length will only annoy them and your fellow passengers especially if you do this while standing in the doorway before/during/after paying your fare.

So, if you're new to an area or just visiting, take the time to visit the area's transit authority website before you  get on the train/bus. Most areas (even the smaller urban areas) have trip planners, schedules or at least a customer service phone number available online so you can get all the information you need ahead of time.

skbenny

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 12:51:01 PM »
I cannot POD this one enough. The driver is NOT there to plan your trip. Though many drivers are very familiar with the bus schedules, they probably dont know everything and asking them endless questions about the next bus, exactly where this bus stops, what it connects with, etc etc etc at length will only annoy them and your fellow passengers especially if you do this while standing in the doorway before/during/after paying your fare.

So, if you're new to an area or just visiting, take the time to visit the area's transit authority website before you  get on the train/bus. Most areas (even the smaller urban areas) have trip planners, schedules or at least a customer service phone number available online so you can get all the information you need ahead of time.

Absolutely!

So many people stop our bus and want to ride it downtown.  When informed that it is an express bus and does not go downdown, or make any stops between point x and point y, they will get all irritated and whine "why can't/don't you go downtown?" or they will spend 5 minutes asking the driver which bus to take downtown.

Big problem, our bus comes from district A as an express into district B.  The drivers only work in district A and this one particular route.  They have no idea of the routes in district B.  The irritant?  Less than five minutes from any point in our bus route is a light rail train, using the same pass system, that only goes downtown, along with free shuttles to take you to the light rail.

That five minutes being wasted belongs to not just the questioner and driver, but to the 30 to 60 passengers on the bus.  Be considerate of them.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:29 AM »
If you are using a music device with headphones, please do not sing along with it in a confined space like a subway car.  The whole point of headphones is to keep the sound contained.  This goes double if the lyrics of what you are listening to are potentially offensive to others.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 02:03:20 PM »
When you're sitting on the aisle, the person sitting on the inside of your seat may need to exit before you do, so keep in mind you may need to stand up to let them out, even is you're in the middle of your book or texting someone.  

I'd like to add to this: If you're the person sitting on the inner seat, it's generally not nice to just shove the person sitting in the outer seat out of the way when you reach your stop. A simple 'excuse me' would suffice.

(Yup, that happened to me a few years ago, the man next to me actually PUSHED me out of my seat when the bus came to a stop. He didn't even indicate before that he was planning on getting off there, he just got up and pushed me out. I shouted 'Excuse me would be NICE!' as he made his way out but I doubt he really cared.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 02:16:52 PM »
Massive POD to holding up the bus asking for directions. Especially bad if it's a) rush hour or b) raining, and people queuing outside the bus can't get on while you're standing in the doorway.

This seems obvious but I don't see it mentioned yet: Your handbag/rucksack/weekly shopping is not a paying customer and is not entitled to a seat all of its own. If someone needs the seat on which you're resting it, please move it.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 05:25:58 PM »
Yup, that's another one. That's what the storage compartments are for. If I have 1 bag I might place it on the empty seat next to me. If the bus is filling up I just put it on my lap.

I once witnessed a bus driver that made an assumption about boarding passengers. I lived in a tourist area and there was one bus that went into the main city and another that went to the beach. A family of tourists got on and the driver SHOUTED 'This is NOT going to the BEACH. The bus for the BEACH is the number 6!' They wanted to go to the main city for shopping. For one, they weren't wearing beach stuff or carrying beach items, and two, it was raining that day..so why would he assume that to begin with?