Author Topic: Airplane/airport Ettiquette  (Read 14441 times)

JoW

Re: Airplane/airport Ettiquette
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
If you are traveling with a laptop and want to use it, please be aware of those around you....
Also remember, the people around you can read your laptop as well as you can.  Do not display p0rn or other materail that may offend the people near you.  Do not display personal information like your bank account number or credit card number. 

If you are doing your job on that computer - maybe writing a trip report about the conference you went to, or reading e-mail from collegues - be doubly careful.  Do not display confidential information.  The person beside you may be a competitor. 

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:25:27 PM »
Secondly, if you were going to be pressed for time, you should've chosen a later connecting flight or an earlier initial flight to allow for these delays. 

While I agree that complaining won't help, it isn't always up to the passenger to choose a different itinerary. I recently had an extremely tight connection en route to Chicago from Boise and came *thisclose* to missing my flight. When I had booked the trip, I gave myself an hour layover in Minneapolis, which should be plenty of time, especially as both flights were on the same airline. After my booking, due to changes with NWA and Delta merging, not only was my flight time changed, shortening my layover time to just 35 minutes, my departure gate was also no longer in the same concourse as my arrival gate, and I had to run all the way across the airport.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
And as with all personal items, please get your laptop and accessories prior to take off.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - do you mean to get the laptop and mouse/other accessories out before take-off? Every airline I've ever flown has required that these items be stowed during take-off and landing.

jadeosan

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 05:10:46 AM »
Don't decide that the interior of a plan is the best time to varnish your nails [not to mention dangerous!]

At the end of your flight, don't wait until the line starts moving to get off the plane to get your bag from the overhead locker thus blocking everyone

Angenieta

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2009, 07:40:12 AM »
At the end of your flight, don't wait until the line starts moving to get off the plane to get your bag from the overhead locker thus blocking everyone

Hmmm, I don't know about that one.
I'd say, ok, but don't start protesting either if you have to wait a few more seconds to get off the plane, because someone is taking his bag out of the locker.
It's not always possible to do so before the line actually starts moving. Specially if you are sitting in the window seat, you might be unable to even reach the locker before the other people have moved out of the row.
Born in
Living in

sparklestar

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »

I'd say, ok, but don't start protesting either if you have to wait a few more seconds to get off the plane, because someone is taking his bag out of the locker.
It's not always possible to do so before the line actually starts moving. Specially if you are sitting in the window seat, you might be unable to even reach the locker before the other people have moved out of the row.

If you have luggage you should wait till everyone else without luggage is clear before blocking the aisles.  This especially annoys me when you see people who have blatantly disregarded the carry on rules, and who insist on unpacking the overheads whilst everyone without luggage is standing behind them. 

The reason people didn't take massive amounts of luggage on board was so they could move freely through the loading/unloading process.  If you needed to stow stuff why should everyone else who didn't have to wait just because you decided to take a handbag, a baby, a carry on, a backpack and your vanity case etc?  Sit down and wait - it's the least you can do after bringing all that extra luggage on board.

Rule of thumb:  If you can get your stuff without holding up the queue, go for it.  Otherwise sit down and wait.

Tizzy

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »
9) Dis-embarking: It is not a race to the terminal. If you do not have a connecting flight, then let those who do leave first. Once you get off the plane, you are still going to have to wait for your luggage to arrive, so rushing is not going to make you get out any faster.

How am I supposed to know who has a connecting flight? And I never check luggage so once I'm off the plane I'm done. I think you should file off the plane like you file out of a church or a theater: let everyone in the row ahead you who wants to go, go then you go. And once your up you should move as quickly as you reasonably can.

eport

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
If you are traveling with a laptop and want to use it, please be aware of those around you....
Also remember, the people around you can read your laptop as well as you can.  Do not display p0rn or other materail that may offend the people near you.  Do not display personal information like your bank account number or credit card number. 

If you are doing your job on that computer - maybe writing a trip report about the conference you went to, or reading e-mail from collegues - be doubly careful.  Do not display confidential information.  The person beside you may be a competitor. 

And if you decide to watch the tv show Lost on your laptop, you should check with the people sitting by you because if they have a fear of flying...(long story, she was in tears and I felt really bad. Flight attendants ended up moving her seat and other passengers had a bit of a laugh)

jadeosan

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 05:55:59 PM »

This person had ample opportunity to get his lugguage as it was several minutes before we were allowed to disembark.  A couple of seconds here and there dont bother me, but he and his wife had several items to get out of the overhead locker.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 06:41:39 PM »
Flight attendants ended up moving her seat and other passengers had a bit of a laugh)

Hmm. I don't think someone else's very real phobia is something to laugh at.

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:40 PM »
Flight attendants ended up moving her seat and other passengers had a bit of a laugh)

Not to dogpile, but as I understand it, that show begins with a huge plane crash.  Maybe not the most appropriate viewing aboard a plane or in an airport.
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.

Tizzy

« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2009, 08:13:52 PM »

Not to dogpile, but as I understand it, that show begins with a huge plane crash.  Maybe not the most appropriate viewing aboard a plane or in an airport.

I've seen Lost and I'm not afraid of flying but I would find that combination unsettling.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2009, 08:41:26 PM »

You beat me to it.  I agree that it was not a laughing matter at all.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
RE: Laptops/DVD players
1. NO I do not have to share.
2. I can watch what I want within reason I really don't care if you don't want your kid to watch Harry Potter Movies. Tell him to sit in his seat and not stand on it leaning over the back of my seat - then he can't see the screen.

I agree with the stay in your seat for a few extra moments if you don't have a crushing connection - especially if the attendance ask that you let those trying to make X or Y flight leave first. I regularly do just that - and get to baggage claim/customs/pick up area just as fast as those that rush off but I tend to be in a better mood.

If you are delayed and have a quick connection - let the attendant know. More than once my family and I've been met at the gate with a cart to take us quickly to our next gate.

I'm not being rude, trying to rule your life when I tell you I'm deathly allergic to peanuts so could you pick the trash you just tossed on the floor. I just don't want to be the reason we have to divert to another city.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Tizzy

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:16 AM »
I agree with the stay in your seat for a few extra moments if you don't have a crushing connection - especially if the attendance ask that you let those trying to make X or Y flight leave first. I regularly do just that - and get to baggage claim/customs/pick up area just as fast as those that rush off but I tend to be in a better mood.

If you are delayed and have a quick connection - let the attendant know. More than once my family and I've been met at the gate with a cart to take us quickly to our next gate.

I'm not being rude, trying to rule your life when I tell you I'm deathly allergic to peanuts so could you pick the trash you just tossed on the floor. I just don't want to be the reason we have to divert to another city.

I think that unless you're morally opposed to it you should do what the attendent tells you to do. They do this all the time and in my experience, generally know what they are talking about.

Jeez, you would think that even the most entitled, selfish traveller would understand that causing a medical emergency would not be in their best interest. ::)