Author Topic: Pregnancy/birth etiquette  (Read 63019 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: Pregnancy/birth etiquette
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2012, 02:58:49 PM »
When a woman asks "Do I look pregnant or just bloated?"....don't say "You don't look pregnant.". Bad idea, bad move.

Going a looong way back for this one:

I'd say the "rule" here is for the pregnant woman (or anyone, really, but this is the pregnancy etiquette thread...) not to ask that kind of uncomfortable question.

Really  :o
Why would you, even?
Hey, purplemuse, is my butt big or does it just look that way in these pants? There is no good answer there; the question is just not fair.

Exactly. That's just mean to even ask.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Emmy

« Reply #181 on: July 18, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
When a woman asks "Do I look pregnant or just bloated?"....don't say "You don't look pregnant.". Bad idea, bad move.

I'd say the "rule" here is for the pregnant woman (or anyone, really, but this is the pregnancy etiquette thread...) not to ask that kind of uncomfortable question.

I don't think saying "you look bloated" would go over well either. 

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #182 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »

I don't think saying "you look bloated" would go over well either.

I might do it just to take vindictive pleasure from someone asking me a loaded question like that. :)

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

CityGirlInCowboyBoots

« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »
Please do not comment on the weight gain even if you mean it as a compliment. Just because you might think the person looks better at the higher weight caused by pregnancy doesn't mean the person agrees or that it would even be healthy for them if not pregnant.

MrTango

« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »

Agreed.  If someone were to ask me that question, my response would be "I plead the Fifth."