Author Topic: Work Related: Food Theives/Office Carry-Ins  (Read 7016 times)

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
Re: Work Related: Food Theives/Office Carry-Ins
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
If food has been catered, and there was a choice of entrees, choose one and take the one you chose. Under no circumstances should you assume that you can use the vegetarian entree as an extra side dish for your carnivorous meal.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
If food has been catered, and there was a choice of entrees, choose one and take the one you chose. Under no circumstances should you assume that you can use the vegetarian entree as an extra side dish for your carnivorous meal.

If food has been catered, and there are leftovers, it's gracious to offer leftovers staffmembers who may not have been included on the meal.  It's not ok to wrap up leftovers to take home without permission.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »
Related to Work and Food: If you order lunch to be delivered to your office, let the front desk person know right away you have a food delivery expected, especially when you need to pay the delivery person.  It's not fair for the receptionist to try to track down who ordered food, or for the delivery person to have to wait around to be paid.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
Related to Work and Food: If you order lunch to be delivered to your office, let the front desk person know right away you have a food delivery expected, especially when you need to pay the delivery person.  It's not fair for the receptionist to try to track down who ordered food, or for the delivery person to have to wait around to be paid.

And it never hurts to ask the front desk person if they'd like to piggy-back on your order. Not necessary, but nice.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
To avoid misunderstandings, label the food that you put into the office refrigerator.  A Sharpie will write your name or initials on most cartons, bottles, etc.

About Rule #4:  Every single time I've declined to attend a potluck because I haven't had a chance to buy or cook something, my supervisor has told me that it doesn't matter.  In principle I agree with Rule #4, but it can get hard sometimes if the potluck is on, say, a Thursday and you have a 6:30 -9:30 PM class right after your workday (just as an example).  Different offices might have different rules about this situation.
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.

paladin

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:15:43 AM »
For office potlucks and birthday parties, "family-style" business lunches, and other occasions where food is shared:

Take modest portions until you are certain everyone has had a chance to help themselves to the food that is being shared.

Brandydan

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 04:08:42 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a Rule or Suggestion, or a simple question (if so, please place it in the proper forum, thank you):

We have potlucks here at work a lot, mainly because we work in a wildlife refuge that is fairly remote, and it is a nice change of pace. Plus, several employees are avid hunters/fishing buffs and they love to share their catch. Most of us come from somewhere else, and many times our potlucks look like an international food festival.

Would it be rude to mention what ingredients are in certain foods? We tend to have a row of stewpots (the blended aromas can be heavenly to those of us who eat meat), though for personal reasons some of us might be hesitant to consume organ meats or even species (I am not particularly fond of snake, for example, though I have been told it takes like the typical chicken).

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a Rule or Suggestion, or a simple question (if so, please place it in the proper forum, thank you):

We have potlucks here at work a lot, mainly because we work in a wildlife refuge that is fairly remote, and it is a nice change of pace. Plus, several employees are avid hunters/fishing buffs and they love to share their catch. Most of us come from somewhere else, and many times our potlucks look like an international food festival.

Would it be rude to mention what ingredients are in certain foods? We tend to have a row of stewpots (the blended aromas can be heavenly to those of us who eat meat), though for personal reasons some of us might be hesitant to consume organ meats or even species (I am not particularly fond of snake, for example, though I have been told it takes like the typical chicken).

Not rude at all to mention what it is!  Or what organ/body parts are in the dish.  Some of us want to know!  I'm a pretty brave eater and would try just about anything but would hesitate a bit at 'eyeball stew.'
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »

Not rude at all to mention what it is!  Or what organ/body parts are in the dish.  Some of us want to know!  I'm a pretty brave eater and would try just about anything but would hesitate a bit at 'eyeball stew.'

I agree with Geordicat - not rude at *all* to mention - in fact if there is something in the dish that can cause an allergic reaction (ie peanuts) I think it is a really good idea to mention it (apparently some people add peanut butter to chili!)

misha412

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:31 AM »
This seems to be related to the topic, but if not, please move to appropriate forum:

Please do not forget to take home the food you left in the refrigerator. After a few weeks of different people leaving their food in the refrigerator, space becomes a major issue. As well as the fact that self-mobile plastic containers freak people out. On the other side of this, do not freak out when the maintenace guy throws away all of your lunch containers when he is cleaning out the refrigerator. In many offices, an email is sent or a sign is posted that states that the refrigerators will be cleaned out at X time on Y date.

Also, if you do bring your lunch, please bring it one day at a time. Just because you got a month's worth of frozen lunches on sale does not mean that all of them should be stored in the freezer at work. Other people would like to have a few inches of space.

If you use the dishes that are available in the office cabinets, please wash them promptly after each use. If you bring your own dishes, please do the same. It is not fair for the maintenance people to have to do your nasty dishes or for your co-workers to have to look at your remains while they attempt to wash their dishes. A cup that you used for water does not need to sit in the sink "soaking" for hours or days after you used it.

Clean up after yourself in the kitchen/break room. If you heat your lunch up in the microwave, wipe up any spills or splatter. Pick up any napkins, stirrers, etc. that you use when making your coffee.

If you take the last of the coffee, please start a new pot if it's early enough that others will drink it.

Please do not use all of the ice to fill up your gallon sized water jug every morning. Other people would like ice for their drinks as well.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2009, 01:13:23 PM »
If food is intended only for one department, place it only in that department's area and not in an area that is communal for the whole office.  If people from other departments constantly pass through the department in question, it's best to avoid putting food out in that department that is intended only for that department, but if you still want to do this, be discreet so that the other people passing through do not get the idea that the food is communal for the whole office.  Serve it individually at desks, and/or at times when traffic through the area will be minimal.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
My department always had food at our weekly team meetings. We took turns by offices bringing it in. The other departments could do this as well, but chose not to. There were usually leftover, so we would leave them in the breakroom for anyone in the company to take. The leftovers were usually gone within an hour and the people who had brought them in cleaned up the plates and bowls pretty quickly.

Well, someone complained that leaving the leftovers in the breakroom made the room look messy. So we were told to stop putting food in the breakroom. The team decided to move the leftover food to the office of the people who brought it in, there to be shared by anyone who wanted it.

This led to a lot of questions after every meeting, "Where are the snacks today?" And another complaint from the person who thought the snacks were messy, "I never know where the snacks are anymore." He also took to scouting out the conference room just before our meeting started, so he could scarf some of our snacks.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:19 AM »
Well, someone complained that leaving the leftovers in the breakroom made the room look messy. So we were told to stop putting food in the breakroom.

But . . . but . . . isn't that what the breakroom is for??

In our office, all leftover meeting goodies are put in the breakroom and an e-mail alert is sent out to the office.  The resulting invasion usually takes care of the "mess" right away!
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.