Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Job Interview Etiquette

(1/3) > >>

snowball's chance:
1.) Plan transportation/parking beforehand.  If the person scheduling your interview doesn't give instructions like "Park in Ramp A", the do your own research about available nearby public parking.  If you are taking public transport, allow yourself plenty of time.  Bring a cell phone in case unforseen things come up on the way that will cause you to be late, like a traffic jam or your train or bus breaking down.

2) Dress appropriately.  A good rule is one step above the job dress code. 

Factory or warehouse job = polo-type shirt and khakis (clean & pressed)
Jeans & t-shirt job = button down (with undershirt) and khakis (clean & pressed)
Business casual = suit
"Suit" job = suit is fine, you don't need to go black-tie

When in doubt, dressier is better

3.) Arrive about 10 to 15 minutes early.  If you misgauge your time and get to the building half an hour early, go for a brief walk, grab a cup of coffee, etc.  There may be no accomadations for your long wait.

4.) Treat any front desk person with respect.  Small talk is ok, but don't pepper him or her with tons of questions, like the direction of the organization, how many applicants there are, your chances, etc.

5.) Turn your cell phone to silent when arriving.

6.) Don't bring anyone (your spouse, parent or children) to your interview (barring something like a clergy position where the spouse also gets interviewed).  Even if your spouse drove you, there may be no accomadations for anyone to wait in a reception area, so have him or her find a Starbucks or something.

7.) Never expect a walk-in interview unless that was advertised somehow.

8.) Shake hands with everyone you meet.

9.) At the interview's conclusion, if you are told, "We hope to make a decision by the end of the month", do not call/email/stop in before the end of the month to learn your status.

10.) Ask for a business card from each person you interview with.  This will help you write your TY note or email (to each person you interviewed with), you can make sure you have correct spelling of names & the mailing address this way. 

I know there are probably lots more, what does everyone think?

ShadesOfGrey:
I actually think in more formal settings (ie may not be appropriate for a factory job) but definitely for any kind of office job, even a casual one, a TY note is necessary.  Short, sweet, to the point, but I think it's a good idea.  There's a debate over email vs, written, so I say let the formality of the job and interview dictate the formality of your TY. 

Dindrane:
I think what you've got sounds good, although I do agree with Inigo about the TY, in some form.

The only other thing I would say is that, when it comes to attire, it matters what sort of job it is.  The wardrobe expectations of an entry level job are not necessarily going to be the same as those for an executive.  Basically, even if the dress code is business casual on a day-to-day basis, most people would expect a high level employee to dress better than that, especially if that employee will have a lot of face-time with the public.  But someone interviewing for a job as a secretary in that same office probably wouldn't need to show up in a suit.

snowball's chance:
I said "if you want to write a TY" b/c I remember it came up in a thread, a UK EHellion said a TY would make the applicant look desperate.  In the U.S., certainly, I think a TY note is a good idea.

ShadesOfGrey:

--- Quote from: snowball's chance on March 02, 2009, 01:47:39 PM ---I said "if you want to write a TY" b/c I remember it came up in a thread, a UK EHellion said a TY would make the applicant look desperate.  In the U.S., certainly, I think a TY note is a good idea.

--- End quote ---

Then I would note this regional difference for sure. I'm pretty sure we determined this would be coming from a US perspective, with regional notations where appropriate.  However, I would also ask other UK ehellions/consult business sources for the UK. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version