Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Side dish for Italian meal?

(1/2) > >>

Brentwood:
Does anyone have any good ideas for a cooked side dish - preferably some kind of vegetable - for an Italian meal (lasagna and Italian soup)? Someone else is bringing green salad and Caesar salad, so I'd like to bring something warm.

This is for a potluck-based Christmas party with my co-workers.

Thanks in advance!

Bob Ducca:
I like to combine a regular green vegetable (green beans, or broccoli) with red pepper and onion.  Saute the pepper and onion in a little butter and olive oil, steam the veggies until just tender, then combine and season to taste.  Put a little bit of parmesean cheese on top as garnish.  Works with fresh or frozen veggies

OR

Oven-roasted asparagus is really yummy, but you have to use fresh and it can get expensive if you need to bring enough to feed a group.  Wash and trim the asparagus, then place on a cookie sheet.  Brush with olive oil or butter (or mixture of the two- that's what I like) and season with salt, pepper, lemon zest- whatever. Put in a hot oven (I usually use 450 or low broil) and roast until tender and slightly browned.  This doesn't stay hot for long, so it won't travel as well.  Once it cools, though, it makes a great salad with vinegar and oil dressing, parmasean cheese, and some diced tomato or cucumber.

Good luck!!

Arabella:
How about roasted fennel?  Just slice, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in hot oven (about 400 degrees or so) until soft and carmalized...maybe 25-30 minutes.  Or you could do stuffed tomatos.  I take Roma tomatoes and slice them in half lengthwise, clean out the center.  Then I stuff them with a mixture of cooked spinach, shallots, garlic, Parm. cheese and a little bread crumbs to bind it.  Stuff the tomatoes, top with a little more cheese, drizzle with olive oil and bake in a 375 oven until the tomatoes are soft...maybe 25 minutes.  Both of these always go over in my family.  Good Luck!  :)

Buffy2424:
Eggplant, polenta... or how about some kind of roasted zucchini thing?

sweedetobee:
I would say eggplant rollatini - but I'm obsessed with anything with cheese in it :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version