News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 20, 2017, 08:48:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 40027 times)

Mopsy428

Gym Etiquette
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:52:04 PM »
1. Wipe the equipment after you are finished using it.

2. The machines are for exercising, not sitting down, doing nothing and chatting with your friend, whether it's in person or on your cellphone. (Note: if you are actually using the equipment, chatting with a friend who is beside you is OK.)

3. Observe the posted rules about cell phones.

4. Do not comment on other people's bodies.

5. Do not comment on how much weight people are using on the machines.

6. A locker room is for changing. You will be exposed to nudity. Do not tell people who are changing to do it inside a bathroom stall.

Added:
7.  Use your audio devices with headphones or at a reasonably low volume.

8.  If you see someone else working with a trainer, do not assume that the trainer is available to work with you.  Arrange it with the staff and don't encroach on someone else's arrangements.

9.  Shower after you work out-but don't take forever.  The showers and grooming facilities are communal, so be courteous to those waiting for them.  Keep the area neat by remembering to take your things with you.  If the gym puts out soaps, lotions, or other things for communal use, take no more than your fair share.

10.  In the locker room, remember not to leave your lock on your locker after you leave unless you have an arrangement okaying this with the gym.  Take it with you.

11.  In the locker room, if a locker with items in it does not have a lock on it, it is not yours to empty out.  Leave other people's things alone.  This also goes for things not stored in a locker.

12.  Put towels in the designated bin, basket, or receptacle after use.  Do not take more than whatever amount the gym deems acceptable for your own use.

13. If the gym has a time policy during busy periods (e.g. no more than 15 minute per machine), please respect that.

14. During a mixed ability class, if one person is new/not as fit as you are, don't sigh and roll your eyes if they are a little slow, or are having troubles with the moves. Conversely, it's totally ok to smile encouragingly, and tell them about the hard bits (thanks lovely girl who warned me that the following routine would be super hard!).

15. In the steam room/sauna, don't stretch yourself out when it is clear that there is not enough space for everyone if you do so.

16. Mid-workout is not the time to try to make new friends.  While some people may be social at the gym, a lot of people do not appreciate the interruption.

17.  Naked in the locker room time is also not the time to try to make new friends.  No one wants a friend who has seen them naked before they know their name! :-)

18. Observe the family/adult locker room rules.

19. Change feminine hygiene products in the bathroom stall.

20. Do not stare at people who are working out.

21. Do not block the weights. Pick them up and move to the side so other people can get weights.

22. If you bring a gym bag or large purse to the gym - please utilize the locker room!! It is NOT ok for your gym back to or other personal items to be in the free weight area or laying around behind your treadmill.

23. If you have a contagious skin condition, please refrain from using the sauna, steam room, swimming pool, or jacuzzi until it is clear.

Swimming:

1. If the gym requires that bathing caps, goggles, or other gear be used, do so.

2. Do not use the lanes for casual swimming.  People are trying to get exercise by swimming laps.

3. Don't run in the pool area.  This is very dangerous.

4. Obey pool rules about jumping or diving into the pool and do not do these things in prohibited areas.

5. Respect the swimming speed - different lanes are for people with different preferences.

6. Don't block the stairs or ladder into the pool.

Track

1. If you are walking, jogging, or running faster than another person, don't expect that person to speed up for you.  Make room for them to pass.

2. Don't block the path of someone moving faster than you along the track.  Don't walk, jog, or run more than one abreast if there isn't room for someone to go by.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 11:07:13 AM by Mopsy428 »

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »
7.  Use your audio devices with headphones or at a reasonably low volume.

8.  If you see someone else working with a trainer, do not assume that the trainer is available to work with you.  Arrange it with the staff and don't encroach on someone else's arrangements.

9.  Shower after you work out-but don't take forever.  The showers and grooming facilities are communal, so be courteous to those waiting for them.  Keep the area neat by remembering to take your things with you.  If the gym puts out soaps, lotions, or other things for communal use, take no more than your fair share.

10.  In the locker room, remember not to leave your lock on your locker after you leave unless you have an arrangement okaying this with the gym.  Take it with you.

11.  In the locker room, if a locker with items in it does not have a lock on it, it is not yours to empty out.  Leave other people's things alone.  This also goes for things not stored in a locker.

12.  Put towels in the designated bin, basket, or receptacle after use.  Do not take more than whatever amount the gym deems acceptable for your own use.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

bluebirds

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »
If the gym has a time policy during busy periods (e.g. no more than 15 minute per machine), please respect that.

During a mixed ability class, if one person is new/not as fit as you are, don't sigh and roll your eyes if they are a little slow, or are having troubles with the moves. Conversely, it's totally ok to smile encouragingly, and tell them about the hard bits (thanks lovely girl who warned me that the following routine would be super hard!).

In the steam room/sauna, don't stretch yourself out when it is clear that there is not enough space for everyone if you do so.

Respect the swimming speed - different lanes are for people with different preferences.

Lisbeth

• a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:50:13 PM »
When swimming:

-If the gym requires that bathing caps, goggles, or other gear be used, do so.
-Do not use the lanes for casual swimming.  People are trying to get exercise by swimming laps.
-Don't run in the pool area.  This is very dangerous.
-Obey pool rules about jumping or diving into the pool and do not do these things in prohibited areas.

For the track:

-If you are walking, jogging, or running faster than another person, don't expect that person to speed up for you.  Make room for them to pass.
-Don't block the path of someone moving faster than you along the track.  Don't walk, jog, or run more than one abreast if there isn't room for someone to go by.
NYC

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 03:46:24 PM »

-Do not use the lanes for casual swimming.  People are trying to get exercise by swimming laps.

I may or may not disagree with this depending on what you mean by "casual swimming."  I think it's okay to enter an open lane for anything related use of the pool at the gym- slow swimming, stretching, walking, water aerobics, etc would all be acceptable at the gyms that I've been a member of.  You don't need to strictly be doing standard lap swimming.  Standing around in the pool and gabbing with your friend would not be okay (which is maybe what you mean by casual swimming?)

Lisbeth

• a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 04:24:26 PM »

I may or may not disagree with this depending on what you mean by "casual swimming."  I think it's okay to enter an open lane for anything related use of the pool at the gym- slow swimming, stretching, walking, water aerobics, etc would all be acceptable at the gyms that I've been a member of.  You don't need to strictly be doing standard lap swimming.  Standing around in the pool and gabbing with your friend would not be okay (which is maybe what you mean by casual swimming?)

What I mean by "casual swimming" is "hanging out in the water but not for fitness purposes or learning how to swim."  Thus, all the things you mentioned-slow swimming, stretching, etc. are fine in a lane as long as they don't interfere with others' using the lanes.  If it's just hanging out with friends, that wouldn't be okay.

One more:  Don't block the stairs or ladder into the pool.
NYC

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
13. Providing that there are multiple machines open with equal access to all amenities, please do not insist on being right next to someone who is already in the middle of their exercise routine. 

14. Mid-workout is not the time to try to make new friends.  While some people may be social at the gym, a lot of people do not appreciate the interruption. 

15.  Naked in the locker room time is also not the time to try to make new friends.  No one wants a friend who has seen them naked before they know their name! :-)

nekoro

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »
From threads around here:  Don't comment on someone's underwear and/or your opinion of the appropriateness thereof.  (Does that sentence make sense?)

snowball's chance

• the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 06:15:43 PM »
Observe the family/adult locker room rules. 

Change feminine hygiene products in the bathroom stall.

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 06:41:49 PM »

:-X ??? :-X ???

I would have never even thought that would need to be said.

(insert jawdropping smily here)

snowball's chance

• the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:47:56 PM »

:-X ??? :-X ???

I would have never even thought that would need to be said.

(insert jawdropping smily here)

Neither would I, til I saw it.  Even better that it was a woman I worked with.

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:32 PM »
Somethings, once seen, just can never be undone.

katycoo

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:06:35 PM »
13. Providing that there are multiple machines open with equal access to all amenities, please do not insist on being right next to someone who is already in the middle of their exercise routine. 

I don't think you can dictate this one. 
Its nice to have space, but the machine next to you is just as available for use as the other 12.

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 07:09:04 PM »

What I mean by "casual swimming" is "hanging out in the water but not for fitness purposes or learning how to swim."  Thus, all the things you mentioned-slow swimming, stretching, etc. are fine in a lane as long as they don't interfere with others' using the lanes.  If it's just hanging out with friends, that wouldn't be okay.

One more:  Don't block the stairs or ladder into the pool.

In that case, I agree.   :)

Also... ewwww to it needing to be stated that you should change feminine hygiene products in a toilet stall.   :o

gadget--gal

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »
weights room

- do not patronise the women (or anyone else you perceive to be weaker) who are waiting to use the bench press or squat rack.

- when you see said woman throwing up a few good reps  ;), don't stand there goggle-eyed like this:  :o  just because you never saw a woman go near a barbell

- I cannot stress this enough: do not stare at someone's [rear] when they are doing squats, chances are, they can see you in the mirror, and you're distracting them. Even if the starer thinks it's a complement, it's a backhanded one...

- when you pick up your dumbells from the stands, don't just stand there and curl/press your set. you're blokcing the weights and the mirror for everyone else, move back a little.

- in peak times use each station for it's intended use. i.e.
     * don't curl in the squat rack (your curling weight will be so light you can pick up your weight and curl anywhere in the gym)
    * dont deadlift right in front of the squat rack, unless you have no choice but to borrow the bar from the squat rack
   * don't sit on the bench station and do your dumbell work there!!

finding that special someone at the gym: it can be done (hey, it happened to me  :-* ) but you need to go about it properly:
    - don't jump on a machine *just* to try and hit on a person I know a grown, well-built man won't normally do pullups with a 40kg counter balance ::) FAIL.
    - don't interrupts a person's set just to tell the that you're into them: you've just demonstated how inconsiderate you are. FAIL. 
    - do try and engage them in conversation at the juice bar or in the sauna

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 07:07:32 AM by gadget--gal »