News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 22, 2017, 11:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 39157 times)

Talamarie

• Oh boy! It's ME
Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:46 PM »
13. Providing that there are multiple machines open with equal access to all amenities, please do not insist on being right next to someone who is already in the middle of their exercise routine. 

I don't think you can dictate this one. 
Its nice to have space, but the machine next to you is just as available for use as the other 12.

That's one we will have to agree to disagree on. I think it falls under the list of "of course you CAN do something, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD" that has been discussed on here frequently, and includes parking in front of someone elses home when you have open space of your own and things of that nature. 

Provided no additional amenities come from a certain machine (i.e. better fan access, better tv access) I feel that it's polite to give a buffer area between yourself and strangers, and everyone I know IRL agrees. :-) I know that some others may not feel the need, but it's something that's considerate to others. and does no harm or extra effort to the person who would be getting onto the machine.

jane7166

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 07:41:54 PM »
Exactly.  Don't talk - SWIM!   I can't tell you how irritating it is to be using a lane and hoping you don't have to share and then you see someone in a lane, sitting on the end, talking for 10 to 15 minutes to an acquaintance and you just know they would be done if only they'd get started and then there would be an open lane again. 

And, if your pool is like ours and 3 lanes are marked with ropes and 3 lanes are not, do your stretching, aerobics, etc., in the free area.  Walking a lane or slow swimming up and down a lane is fine - heaven knows, I'm the slowest swimmer on the planet.  However, treading water in one area of a lane with your lady friends and gossiping - not so acceptable. 

-Do not use the lanes for casual swimming.  People are trying to get exercise by swimming laps.

I may or may not disagree with this depending on what you mean by "casual swimming."  I think it's okay to enter an open lane for anything related use of the pool at the gym- slow swimming, stretching, walking, water aerobics, etc would all be acceptable at the gyms that I've been a member of.  You don't need to strictly be doing standard lap swimming.  Standing around in the pool and gabbing with your friend would not be okay (which is maybe what you mean by casual swimming?)

Brentwood

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
13. Providing that there are multiple machines open with equal access to all amenities, please do not insist on being right next to someone who is already in the middle of their exercise routine. 

I don't think you can dictate this one. 
Its nice to have space, but the machine next to you is just as available for use as the other 12.

That's one we will have to agree to disagree on. I think it falls under the list of "of course you CAN do something, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD" that has been discussed on here frequently, and includes parking in front of someone elses home when you have open space of your own and things of that nature. 

Provided no additional amenities come from a certain machine (i.e. better fan access, better tv access) I feel that it's polite to give a buffer area between yourself and strangers, and everyone I know IRL agrees. :-) I know that some others may not feel the need, but it's something that's considerate to others. and does no harm or extra effort to the person who would be getting onto the machine.

I don't think that taking the machine next to someone else is inconsiderate, and if I were the final arbiter of what gets included in this virtual etiquette book, I would not include a stipulation to avoid taking the machine next to someone else. If the spacing of the machines is such that a person would feel encroached upon to have someone next to them, take it up with gym management. Don't expect people not to use those machines.

familyfun

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »
11.  In the locker room, if a locker with items in it does not have a lock on it, it is not yours to empty out.  Leave other people's things alone.  This also goes for things not stored in a locker.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who works out in a gym with a small locker room which can get crowded sometimes (NYC real estate being what it is space is a premium).  Also, there have been thefts, so nearly everyone puts a lock on their locker (most of us are commuting from suburbs or outerboroughs, so we have wallets, etc. in our lockers. 

While I agree no one should move anyone else's stuff, it's rude to leave one's belongings strewn about when it will block the access of others to their lockers, benches, etc.  Or force them to step over one's stuff to get there.  People shouldn't be leaving that around to begin with.  And if one doesn't have a lock to put on a locker, some other indication that the locker is taken is helpful (e.g. a bag strap hanging out of the locker or even one of the plastic bags intended for wet items looped around the part where the lock would go).  It's annoying to be juggling the workout clothes, shower stuff (I rent a smaller locker from the gym to store those) briefcase/backpack and think a locker is free, only to set some stuff down & find out it's taken.  If there's a lock or strap hanging out or the plastic loop, it makes it easier to see which ones are taken.

I'd also like to add, if there is enough room to not take the locker directly over/under or next to another locker, it's a courtesey to leave a bit of space so we're not in each other's ways.  Twice in one week, I've had people take the locker underneath mine while I was working out when there were quite a few other ones surrounding that were empty.  And we ended up at the locker at the same time, trying to get undressed.   If there had been no other lockers or not many, I could understand it, but there were enough where they could have given a bit more space.   Really,  why do people do that?

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »

I don't think that taking the machine next to someone else is inconsiderate, and if I were the final arbiter of what gets included in this virtual etiquette book, I would not include a stipulation to avoid taking the machine next to someone else. If the spacing of the machines is such that a person would feel encroached upon to have someone next to them, take it up with gym management. Don't expect people not to use those machines.

I agree with this.  There are a variety of considerations that go into deciding which machine that I want, including machine issues (I went to a gym that wasn't so great with maintenance so there would be ellipticals that technically worked but squeaked with every motion- I try to avoid machines that I know are like that), and television placement (for gyms where the TVs are on the wall- I will pick a machine nearer to which TV I'd like to watch), proximity to fans for gyms that have those, model of machine when there are multiple models of a particular type of machine, etc.  If there are two machines that are equal in those respects, I will probably choose the one that isn't next to somebody else, but I don't think it's rude to not do so.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 09:51:44 PM »
11.  In the locker room, if a locker with items in it does not have a lock on it, it is not yours to empty out.  Leave other people's things alone.  This also goes for things not stored in a locker.

I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who works out in a gym with a small locker room which can get crowded sometimes (NYC real estate being what it is space is a premium).  Also, there have been thefts, so nearly everyone puts a lock on their locker (most of us are commuting from suburbs or outerboroughs, so we have wallets, etc. in our lockers. 

While I agree no one should move anyone else's stuff, it's rude to leave one's belongings strewn about when it will block the access of others to their lockers, benches, etc.  Or force them to step over one's stuff to get there.  People shouldn't be leaving that around to begin with.  And if one doesn't have a lock to put on a locker, some other indication that the locker is taken is helpful (e.g. a bag strap hanging out of the locker or even one of the plastic bags intended for wet items looped around the part where the lock would go).  It's annoying to be juggling the workout clothes, shower stuff (I rent a smaller locker from the gym to store those) briefcase/backpack and think a locker is free, only to set some stuff down & find out it's taken.  If there's a lock or strap hanging out or the plastic loop, it makes it easier to see which ones are taken.

I'd also like to add, if there is enough room to not take the locker directly over/under or next to another locker, it's a courtesey to leave a bit of space so we're not in each other's ways.  Twice in one week, I've had people take the locker underneath mine while I was working out when there were quite a few other ones surrounding that were empty.  And we ended up at the locker at the same time, trying to get undressed.   If there had been no other lockers or not many, I could understand it, but there were enough where they could have given a bit more space.   Really,  why do people do that?

What I meant in my post was, don't leave a lock on your locker overnight.  When you leave the gym, remember to remove your lock and take it home with you unless you have an arrangement with the gym to leave it on because you work out there on a regular basis, are enrolled in classes, etc.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Brentwood

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »

What I meant in my post was, don't leave a lock on your locker overnight.  When you leave the gym, remember to remove your lock and take it home with you unless you have an arrangement with the gym to leave it on because you work out there on a regular basis, are enrolled in classes, etc.

Many gyms will have specific rules about that - locks must be removed when you leave, and locks left on for X length of time will be cut off and the contents of the locker disposed of.

familyfun

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 11:45:56 AM »
KeenReader,

I was referring to not emptying out lockers without locks and things not stored in a locker.  When locker rooms are crowded, a lock or a workout strap hanging out of a locker or scrunchy or plastic bag tied through the loops intended for a lock all let people know a locker is taken.  But when the locker is being used without a lock and no other indications are there that it's being used, it inconveniences others who think the locker is free.  Up until the recent thefts, there would be days where I'd go to put my stuff down and then find a locker was taken (with no lock on it) 2 or three times in a row in one day.  I generally carry my purse, a backpack (with lunch, breakfast, ipod chargers, etc.) and in my hands, I have a shower caddy & a laundry bag with my workout clothes (the reference to the rented, smaller locker was intended to indicate why I was carrying some of that in my hands vs. having a backpack, sorry for the confusion there).  While it would never justify emptying the locker, it is frustrating to start to set your stuff down, only to realize that the locker's taken.  The point I was trying to make is that if people aren't using locks on their lockers, they should have some other indication that the locker's taken such as the straps, ponytail holders, etc.  This way, others can see that locker's taken and go to one which isn't.  So I guess I'm suggesting a subsection to no. 11:

11 a If you're not using a lock on your locker, please put some other indication that the locker is being used.

And the things strewn outside the locker can be pretty annoying too.  Again, it's not right to touch it, but I hate when people decide to leave their bags, shoes, etc. all over the place while they're showering or doing their makeup.  Then they run into a friend and chat a bit.  Meanwhile, their stuff is all over the place and in the way of people trying to get to their lockers so they can get their shower stuff, clothes, etc.  Which I guess would be another subsection to no. 11:

11 b  If you're not using something right at the moment, put it in your locker or under the bench.  Don't leave it strewn about where it will get in other people's ways.

Elphaba

• It's not easy being green
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
I'd  like to add this one, which its my BIGGEST pet peeve at the gym:

If you bring a gym bag or large purse to the gym - please utilize the locker room!! It is NOT ok for your gym back to or other personal items to be in the free weight area or laying around behind your treadmill.

A towel and waterbottle are fine, and maybe the occasional sweatshirt/hoodie you've recently removed, but anything past this should be stowed in a locker while you work out.

bluebirds

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »
If you have a skin condition, please refrain from using the sauna, steam room, swimming pool, or jacuzzi until it is clear. Please.

Today at the gym I'd just finished my Body Pump class and I thought I'd go for a couple of lengths then spend some time in the steam room. Imagine my horror when I saw a very tall man walking towards the steam room, with huges sores all over his body (they kind of looked like scabs, but they were all over his body, and in more or less even areas so that it reminded me of the mormal on the cook's shin  :-X) - thankfully (for me, I felt bad for those he joined) he headed into the sauna instead. I'm still a little surprised that the gym staff member in charge didn't say anything to him, it was clearly not sanitary for him to be in that kind of moist and hot environment.

gadget--gal

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »
If you have a skin condition, please refrain from using the sauna, steam room, swimming pool, or jacuzzi until it is clear. Please.

Today at the gym I'd just finished my Body Pump class and I thought I'd go for a couple of lengths then spend some time in the steam room. Imagine my horror when I saw a very tall man walking towards the steam room, with huges sores all over his body (they kind of looked like scabs, but they were all over his body, and in more or less even areas so that it reminded me of the mormal on the cook's shin  :-X) - thankfully (for me, I felt bad for those he joined) he headed into the sauna instead. I'm still a little surprised that the gym staff member in charge didn't say anything to him, it was clearly not sanitary for him to be in that kind of moist and hot environment.

surely it depends on the skin condition, and whether in fact, it's contagious? I'd be ore concerned with coughs and sneezes than skin conditions  :-\

zoidberg

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 05:40:13 AM »
surely it depends on the skin condition, and whether in fact, it's contagious? I'd be ore concerned with coughs and sneezes than skin conditions  :-\

I agree. I don't think you can assume that "open sores" are contagious. I don't really know what you mean by what you described, but I know a lot of people with neurodermitis who will have sores that are absolutely not contagious. As for the "open skin" factor - if you're in the steam room or the sauna, no part of your skin should be touching any part of benches, etc. anyway. So as long as it isn't an airborn contagion, I fail to see how this should be a problem.

bluebirds

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:14:53 AM »
I see your point - I think I was just overwhelmed by the ick factor; the gentleman in question was wearing nothing but his swimming shorts, and tbh everyone at the gym I go to tends to just wear their swimming costume in the sauna/steam room since they're in the bathing area.

However, you are right, I should have put 'If you have a contagious skin condition...'

Which reminds me: the steam room/sauna is not the place for a pedicure - I used to go to a female-only gym, and the women would happily scrub their feet and file the hard skin off inside the steam room.

gadget--gal

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 06:19:23 AM »
I see your point - I think I was just overwhelmed by the ick factor; the gentleman in question was wearing nothing but his swimming shorts, and tbh everyone at the gym I go to tends to just wear their swimming costume in the sauna/steam room since they're in the bathing area.

However, you are right, I should have put 'If you have a contagious skin condition...'

Which reminds me: the steam room/sauna is not the place for a pedicure - I used to go to a female-only gym, and the women would happily scrub their feet and file the hard skin off inside the steam room.

the very first sauna I visited was like this: they had women-only days and people were rather, um "free". Bathing suits optionals. People would do all their scrubbing anywhere. One woman tried to dye her hair there, but she got called out for that one. She tried to say "it's just henna"  ::) but that didn't fly.

Luckily I've been to other saunas since then, otherwise I would have thought that was normal sauna practive everywhere  ;)

familyfun

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
This one's for gyms which have weight machines set aside for express circuits.  Mine does, which is intended for people who want to get an all over workout in a relatively short amount of time (which as someone relatively new to weight training, I like).  The gym's policy is that those machines are for the circuit express during certain hours (including the time I work out) and that people using it for express circuit get priority.

Don't be a circuit breaker!  It's fine to use just one piece of equipment in an express circuit, but if the machine right before it is being used, check with the person there.  I may be at the start of my sets and then I have no problem letting you go ahead because you may be done by the time I need it or you will let me work in.   But days like today when I was just about done and had to skip that one & then come back to it annoy me.  Fortunately it was open when I finished the rest of the circuit, but sometimes, by then someone else is using it and I either have to waste time waiting or skip it. That is annoying!  >:(

Also, if you're going to use just the one machine in an express circuit & want to do a heavy duty, long workout, be aware of people using it for its intended purpose as an express circuit. You should be looking to see if other people are trying to work through the circuit and allowing them to do so.  If I'm standing by you after I've gone around you and you're still at that machine, it's a hint that I'd like to use that equipment.  When I actually ask you to work in, that's a sign you've been on it far too loooong as I will generally skip that machine and finish the rest of the circuit, then stand in the general express circuit area & then right by you before I ask.  You've already inconvenienced me fairly substantially if I have to ask you to work in.  Which means "one more set" is probably not going to be an acceptable answer from you. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:40:54 AM by familyfun »