News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 03:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 40179 times)

Elphaba

• It's not easy being green
Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
weights room

- do not patronise the women (or anyone else you perceive to be weaker) who are waiting to use the bench press or squat rack.

*snip*

- when you pick up your dumbells from the stands, don't just stand there and curl/press your set. you're blokcing the weights and the mirror for everyone else, move back a little.

- in peak times use each station for it's intended use. i.e.
     * don't curl in the squat rack (your curling weight will be so light you can pick up your weight and curl anywhere in the gym)
    * dont deadlift right in front of the squat rack, unless you have no choice but to borrow the bar from the squat rack
   * don't sit on the bench station and do your dumbell work there!!

I'll plant my POD on these and add a few more about using the free weights:

- RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS!! This goes for the squat rack, bench station, and everything else where you have to add your own plates.  I hate to shout, but this one really irks me. It's a serious inconvience to others to make them rerack your weights, which may be wayyy to heavy for them to move. Also a weighted bar gives the indication that you'll be back sometime soon. I hate to have to guess if someone is just getting a drink of water or something, or they're actually done with the station. It also goes for dumbbells - why should someone have to chase down the matching 25lb weight just because you didn't feel like walking the extra 10ft from your bench to the rack? This leads me to my second point:

- If you're using a bench/station/rack and have just gone to get a drink/stretch/something else, try to leave an indicator that the bench/station/rack is in use and you intend to return. Leaving your towel hanging on the bar or your keys/water bottle near by is a good one.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
I see your point - I think I was just overwhelmed by the ick factor; the gentleman in question was wearing nothing but his swimming shorts, and tbh everyone at the gym I go to tends to just wear their swimming costume in the sauna/steam room since they're in the bathing area.

However, you are right, I should have put 'If you have a contagious skin condition...'

You were correct the first time.  Most Health Departments have a prohibition against public swimming with open sores regardless of whether they are contagious or not. 

Which reminds me: the steam room/sauna is not the place for a pedicure - I used to go to a female-only gym, and the women would happily scrub their feet and file the hard skin off inside the steam room.

I managed a prestigious Washington D.C. hotel's health club right after graduating from college.  Oh, the things I saw and had to deal with....you have no idea.

gadget--gal

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 04:27:18 AM »
I see your point - I think I was just overwhelmed by the ick factor; the gentleman in question was wearing nothing but his swimming shorts, and tbh everyone at the gym I go to tends to just wear their swimming costume in the sauna/steam room since they're in the bathing area.

However, you are right, I should have put 'If you have a contagious skin condition...'

You were correct the first time.  Most Health Departments have a prohibition against public swimming with open sores regardless of whether they are contagious or not. 

just out of interest, does the prohibition tend to extend to the sauna/steam room? in some gyms, there is a spa area without the swimming pool, therefore you're not sharing the same water; just the same [moist] air, I guess.  ???

bluebirds

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2009, 03:44:58 AM »

just out of interest, does the prohibition tend to extend to the sauna/steam room? in some gyms, there is a spa area without the swimming pool, therefore you're not sharing the same water; just the same [moist] air, I guess.  ???

*gag*

Nurvingiel

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2009, 04:05:13 AM »
The pool: Don't swim fast in the slow lane, or slow in the fast lane.

Someone mentioned that it's not appropriate to dawdle in the lanes. They are for laps; lanes are usually set up with the majority of the pool open, so there's no need for that.  I think it's also important not to steamroll the people swimming slowly or hold up the people swimming quickly.  Usually there's a slow, medium and fast lane. It's good etiquette to choose the one for the speed you'll be swimming at.  Feel free to switch speeds and lanes if needed.

Wipe the machines cannot be said enough.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Brentwood

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »

Someone mentioned that it's not appropriate to dawdle in the lanes. They are for laps; lanes are usually set up with the majority of the pool open, so there's no need for that.  I think it's also important not to steamroll the people swimming slowly or hold up the people swimming quickly.  Usually there's a slow, medium and fast lane. It's good etiquette to choose the one for the speed you'll be swimming at.  Feel free to switch speeds and lanes if needed.

The gym I work for does not have speed lanes. There are dedicated lap swim lanes and the open area of the pool. I have no idea how I would gauge my speed, so if I want to swim (rare, I admit), I'll swim in the dedicated lap lanes no matter what. If it becomes too complicated to figure out where I should be, I just won't do it at all.

Pinky830

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
This thread sure is bringing back some memories. I am SO thankful I have a weight set, heavy bag and treadmill in my basement now.

Nurvingiel

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2009, 04:27:50 PM »

The gym I work for does not have speed lanes. There are dedicated lap swim lanes and the open area of the pool. I have no idea how I would gauge my speed, so if I want to swim (rare, I admit), I'll swim in the dedicated lap lanes no matter what. If it becomes too complicated to figure out where I should be, I just won't do it at all.
Well, if there are no designated speed lanes then people just have to do their best and share.  That's different than deliberately ignoring a speed sign.

You should feel free to swim in undesignated lanes at your comfortable swimming speeds.  This is not rude. :)

Edit: As long as you're still swimming laps in the lap lane then you're good to go. :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:17:27 PM by Nurvingiel »

YogaChick

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 01:05:45 PM »
Observe the family/adult locker room rules. 

Change feminine hygiene products in the bathroom stall.

......and don't LEAVE said feminine hygiene products in the SHOWER stall after you're finished with them.

Yes, this really happened the other day.  The front desk person was as disgusted as I was.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2010, 01:15:32 PM »
Please don't 'claim' a shower by turning it on, and then walk away and go to the bathroom, undress, brush your teeth and hair, gather your toiletries, etc., all while it's running and other people are waiting.

Nurvingiel

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
Please don't 'claim' a shower by turning it on, and then walk away and go to the bathroom, undress, brush your teeth and hair, gather your toiletries, etc., all while it's running and other people are waiting.
I don't see any claim. Jump in! How considerate of the other person to heat up the water for you. :)

;)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 08:08:43 PM »
15.  Naked in the locker room time is also not the time to try to make new friends.  No one wants a friend who has seen them naked before they know their name! :-)

Heh! When I was recovering from my pulmonary embolism (short) swims were about all I could do. I hit the gym in the morning and got out of the shower right about as the women were filing in for the water aerobics class.

It sort of became my "duty" to let everyone about the temperature of the water. I struck up a firm friendship with many of them and was invited to their brunch even though  I rarely attended the water aerobics class.

They were quite free about chatting in various methods of undress. Over the years, it's become less of an issue with me too.

Yes, we all saw each other naked long before we knew each other's name.

To each their own.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
Observe the family/adult locker room rules. 

Change feminine hygiene products in the bathroom stall.

......and don't LEAVE said feminine hygiene products in the SHOWER stall after you're finished with them.

Yes, this really happened the other day.  The front desk person was as disgusted as I was.

:-X  :-X  :-X  :o  >:(
Who gets to clean that up?! And I hope they get danger money to do it.
Stewart/Colbert '16

JoW

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
Do not change clothing in a toilet or shower stall.  There aren’t enough of them, especially at peak hours. 

Do not use your cell phone in the locker room even if club rules allow it.  Most phones are able to take pictures and/or record movies and transfer those images to the internet. 

The Water Aerobics class schedule is posted in the locker room.  There are 25 people in the class.  We will not squeeze into 2 lanes so you can swim laps in our 3rd lane all by yourself. 

The sign at the entrance to the ladies’ locker room that says “No males over age 3 allowed in the Ladies Locker Room” applies to your 6-year old son, too.  And no, directly in front of the water fountain on the route between the toilets and the showers is not “out of the way”.  There’s an Assisted Changing locker room.  Use it.  This also applies to your 6-year old daughter in the men’s locker room.
(I’m so glad my club stopped offering kids’ swimming lessons.)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
Do not change clothing in a toilet or shower stall.  There aren’t enough of them, especially at peak hours. 

This cannot be said enough!!  My biggest pet peeve when it comes to the gym!