News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 11:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 40118 times)

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2010, 11:36:43 PM »
Do not change clothing in a toilet or shower stall.  There arenít enough of them, especially at peak hours. 

This cannot be said enough!!  My biggest pet peeve when it comes to the gym!

In my gym (which has only recently been built), they are exactly your options. Shower stall, toilet stall, or in front of everyone in the locker area. :o  I am nowhere near brave enough for that!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »
Do not change clothing in a toilet or shower stall.  There arenít enough of them, especially at peak hours. 

This cannot be said enough!!  My biggest pet peeve when it comes to the gym!

In my gym (which has only recently been built), they are exactly your options. Shower stall, toilet stall, or in front of everyone in the locker area. :o  I am nowhere near brave enough for that!

Why not?  I don't have the best body, but I can still manage to change in a open area.  No one is looking at you, really!

I think if you are not brave enough to change where everyone else does, the onus is on you to join a gym with changing rooms.  It is not up to you to decide that the status quo does not apply to you, and to make everyone else wait to use the toliet or shower.

JoW

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »

In my gym (which has only recently been built), they are exactly your options. Shower stall, toilet stall, or in front of everyone in the locker area. :o  I am nowhere near brave enough for that!

There are 5 toilet stalls, 6 showers, and 25 people getting ready for a water aerobic class that starts in 5 minutes.  Most of us need to pee before class.  It is not acceptable for 3 of those students to monopolize stalls for those 5 minutes while they change.

I put on my swimsuit at home and put street clothes over it before leaving for class.  After class I shower then wrap in a towel while dressing.  We all dress facing our lockers.  When looking at someone else the convention is to look at their face or their feet, nothing inbetween.  

If you can't do that then Two Ravens is right - you need to find a club with more private changing rooms.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:20:41 PM by JoW »

JoW

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 10:24:12 PM »
Several of the ladies at my club have a cover-up.  It looks like a beach towel with elastic on one long side.  It wraps around the body covering arm pits to knees.  It has 2 straps and a velcro closure.  I looked for it on Google Shopping, but could not find it.  It might be home made.

Anyway, its remarkable how much clothing they can put on under that thing without showing flesh.  Maybe you can find or make a similar cover-up. 

Nurvingiel

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2010, 12:31:43 AM »
Is that like those shawl things breastfeeding women sometimes wear?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

JoW

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
More like a sarong with straps.

Everybody has wrapped a towel around themself at least once.  The cover-up I'm talking about is that wrap made gap-proof with velcro and fall-proof with straps.  Its loose enough you can pull on panties without opening it, and you can pull your arms in to put on your bra. 

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Several of the ladies at my club have a cover-up.  It looks like a beach towel with elastic on one long side.  It wraps around the body covering arm pits to knees.  It has 2 straps and a velcro closure.  I looked for it on Google Shopping, but could not find it.  It might be home made.

I have one of these:

They are so useful!

JoW

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
The garment I'm talking about is very similar to that.  But its looser so you can get dressed under it.  It has shoulder straps to keep it on and velcro on the edge to keep it closed.  Its a great alternative for someone who isn't comfortable changing clothes in the open. 

FolkRockFan

« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2010, 06:35:36 AM »
The garment I'm talking about is very similar to that.  But its looser so you can get dressed under it.  It has shoulder straps to keep it on and velcro on the edge to keep it closed.  Its a great alternative for someone who isn't comfortable changing clothes in the open. 

Are you talking about changing robes or changing towels, maybe? Google search shows a bunch of different options and Web sites where you can buy either one.

JoW

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 02:29:32 PM »
I found it.  Its the one on the left in this picture.
http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Bath+Bath+Robes+Slippers/3604/RG97X_04/&cm_ven=NexTag&cm_cat=Bath-Bath_Robes+Slippers&cm_pla=TERRY_BATHROBE_01_LX&cm_ite=RA7101LCRA&code=macs=T9NXTG&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=25-32843163-2

But any of the garments FolkRockFan mentioned would work, too. 

EvilJoW climbed out of my exercise bag today.  I took 2 water classes this morning, with 15 minutes between class to pee and go get my ankle floats on for the next class.  There was a line at the toilets because people were changing their clothes in 2 of the 5 stalls.  I got a stall beside a changer, saw her bra on the floor just barely in my stall, and kicked it into the main aisle where neither one of us could reach it.  Yes, it was mean.  But it sure felt good. 

Waltraud

• http://dragcave.ath.cx/user/58378
    • My dragons!
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »
JoW, you do realize that you are posting on an Etiquette forum? Bragging about "mean" behaviour is frowned upon around here. For obvious reasons.

Just a heads-up!

Waltraud

Hushabye

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:48 PM »
EvilJoW climbed out of my exercise bag today.  I took 2 water classes this morning, with 15 minutes between class to pee and go get my ankle floats on for the next class.  There was a line at the toilets because people were changing their clothes in 2 of the 5 stalls.  I got a stall beside a changer, saw her bra on the floor just barely in my stall, and kicked it into the main aisle where neither one of us could reach it.  Yes, it was mean.  But it sure felt good. 

And that's a good example of what NOT to do in terms of gym etiquette on both your parts.

RubySlippers

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2010, 07:29:35 AM »
I joined our community run gym a couple of months ago and am appalled at some of the lack of consideration and general thoughtlessness I see.

Please wear at least a bathing suit bottom in the whirlpool.  Please. Pretty please.

Please do not go into the sauna, cover yourself in smelly liquid soap (while standing stark naken next to someone else), then traipse off to the shower (still starkers) leaving behind my shocked face and the smell of scented soap in a hot dry 8' x 8' room.  Gag! 

The showers are not your personal bathroom - please don't even BRING a razor to the gym. m'OK?

Shea

« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2010, 08:30:22 PM »
Please do not wear excessively skimpy garments. By "excessively skimpy", I mean garments that leave virtually nothing to the imagination. One expects to see tight attire, tank tops and so forth at the gym, but there is a trend at my gym of gentlemen of a certain age wearing extremely, extremely short shorts. When these gentlemen sit or squat, well, let's just say you can tell what religion each gentleman subscribes to :P. This is nothing I need to see on any man of any age who is not my SO.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

ccpb1214

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2010, 01:30:40 PM »
Please do not wear excessively skimpy garments. By "excessively skimpy", I mean garments that leave virtually nothing to the imagination. One expects to see tight attire, tank tops and so forth at the gym, but there is a trend at my gym of gentlemen of a certain age wearing extremely, extremely short shorts. When these gentlemen sit or squat, well, let's just say you can tell what religion each gentleman subscribes to :P. This is nothing I need to see on any man of any age who is not my SO.

Ew! And there's no polite way to say something about that! (At least, I don't think there is).

Hehe, what would you say, anyway? "Um, please put the mouse back in the house."