News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 25, 2017, 02:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gym Etiquette  (Read 40178 times)

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Gym Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
If you spray that disinfectant stuff on the gym equipment - WIPE IT DOWN. I've suffered two chemical type burns this month from that stuff.

Just because you are an official gym trainer you don't get to block equipment. I asked if she was using the equipment, and was informed she was using to sit on couldn't I see she was pregnant. She also has conversations were I can hear her across the gym, over the music they have playing, and through my earbuds.   

If the gym is going to have a rule that the lockers are for day use only they should enforce the rules. Instead there are about 20 lockers that have the same locks everyday, no matter what time of day I'm there.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mopsy428

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2010, 11:41:13 AM »
Speaking of music, staff at the gym--please keep the music at a reasonable volume. I should not feel like I need to be walking around with my hands over my ears. Furthermore, if I can't hear my own iPod, your music is too loud.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2010, 11:49:15 AM »
If you ask how long I'm using the treadmill, and I tell you 15 minutes, do not say "I've got it after you" and walk away. Because when I am done, I will also walk and not tell the guy who is getting on "No, that woman, where'd she go, she 'called' the machine next". IOW, it's your job to be there if you want it, not my job to 'save' it for you.

Shea

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
Speaking of music, staff at the gym--please keep the music at a reasonable volume. I should not feel like I need to be walking around with my hands over my ears. Furthermore, if I can't hear my own iPod, your music is too loud.

Also, if I can hear the music bleeding from your iPod over my own music on my own iPod, you need to turn down your music. Both for other peoples' sanity and for your own hearing :P.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »

Also, if I can hear the music bleeding from your iPod over my own music on my own iPod, you need to turn down your music. Both for other peoples' sanity and for your own hearing :P.
Yeah, I really need to watch this.  I'm sure I've probably annoyed people at my gym  :-[  I'm hearing impaired, so I turn my music WAY up, so I can actually hear it.  I do try to remember, but it doesn't always sink in.  Is there a polite way to remind me?  It wouldn't bother me if someone said "excuse me, I can hear your music over mine", but would people think it is rude?

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Shea

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2010, 09:26:51 PM »

Yeah, I really need to watch this.  I'm sure I've probably annoyed people at my gym  :-[  I'm hearing impaired, so I turn my music WAY up, so I can actually hear it.  I do try to remember, but it doesn't always sink in.  Is there a polite way to remind me?  It wouldn't bother me if someone said "excuse me, I can hear your music over mine", but would people think it is rude?

I don't think it's rude to say, "Excuse me, but I can hear your music pretty loudly and it's making it hard for me to hear my own music. Would you turn it down a bit? Thanks!"

Also, if you told me you were hearing impaired, I'd be much more inclined to be understanding.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:38 PM »
If you're doing "3 sets of 20", please actually *do* some of the reps, instead of doing three, then yammering on the phone you aren't supposed to be using, then doing a rep or two.

And I understand that the sets can be rough, but when there's a line, don't get most of the way out of the machine, sip some water, play with your towel, sip some more water, etc., then settle back in slowly for the next set.   

Do your reps and your sets.

Also, it occurs to me that the gym is one of the places where patrons are allowed to grimace without being called on it.  I have a rough idea of what expressions I make, and watching the guy opposite me as he strained on his reps reminded me of the "don't make that face" thread about the doctor's office.

Emma
   Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.

Nurvingiel

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
I agree Emma. It's okay if you can't finish each set, or if you go to a lower weight. It's not okay to rest on the machine. It is okay to rest near the machines, sit down and lean on the wall, somewhere out of the way where you can recharge.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Mopsy428

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
Please watch where you are going, and try to avoid going in between the machines if possible. And if you do run into a machine or a person's arm as she's doing reps, using a machine, don't blame that person and demand an apology.

Why, yes, this happened to me TWICE at the gym in one single day.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:30 PM »
If you must bring your kids to the gym during school vacation week, please supervise them.  Just letting them free-range in the gym while you are doing your workout is not supervising them.

Brentwood

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »
If you must bring your kids to the gym during school vacation week, please supervise them.  Just letting them free-range in the gym while you are doing your workout is not supervising them.

At the gym I work for, this would be absolutely forbidden, not as a matter of etiquette but as a matter of policy (and liability). No children under the membership age are allowed to be on the workout floor at all. Kids over the membership age but under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

I manage the gym daycare. That's where children under the membership age belong.

GirlyJock

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2011, 08:56:56 PM »
If you see someone using a "cool" fitness thing/object, and no others around, don't assume that it's the gym's. Don't try to grab it when the user takes a water break, don't ask if you could work in. The best thing to do is ask them where they got it. Just because I brought a kettlebell, medicine ball, or ab wheel with me doesn't mean that I want to share. You didn't sign any liability waivers to use my stuff and I don't know who you are, so don't get huffy if I don't want you using my stuff.

snowdragon

« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2011, 05:28:45 PM »
Do NOT leave you child unattended in the gym area. Little ones are not safe running between bikes or under weight machines. Nor is it safe for those using said equipment.

Also do not allow your teen aged son to make comments and/or stare at the women who are working out. And no, it does not matter that your child is special needs if he/she is making comments that make others nervous about their safety you need to correct them or take them out. Same with touching, hitting, kicking, spitting or other in appropriate behaviour. Yes, they have teh right to be there unmolested and if you are not interested in teaching your child appropriate behaviors, you need to make other arrangements. ( If your child does not act like this - it's not directed at you. but this is a major issue at my Y branch and is causing a lot of problems for the women there.)

RUkidding?

« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »
Please don't interrupt somebody in the middle of a set for ANY reason.  Period.  Unless the building is on fire.....a really big fast moving fire.     

Please don't assume that if you have said "hello" to me and I have said "hello" back, that I want to have a chat during my workout.     

It's a pretty good assumption that people working out while wearing earbuds really don't want to chat.  Clue #2 is when you start talking to them and they look irritated and/or sigh when pulling out said earbud.  Get thee away from me!!!     

If a female asks you to spot her in the free weight area; assume that is really all she wants from you - just like any male weightlifter.

PUH LEASE  Keep PDA out of the workout areas!!!!  Not the time, not the place, makes everybody want to puke.  :-X

This was said before and worth repeating again and again and....... please don't do curls in front of the weight rack.  If you insist on doing it and you are in my way; expect a hip check.   >:D  ok, I'm kidding but a girl can dream.

Talking on the cell phone while on a weight machine is......just no.  If the call is that important, head to the locker room, a corner or the lobby.   

If you are a trainer, we all know because at most gyms you wear a shirt that says, ironically enough, "Trainer".  We know where to find you if we want your services.  No, really.   

Please don't comment on my ridiculous lifting gloves with the pink trim; they are the only ones I could find that fit my little hands and I hate them.   :P

Fleur-de-Lis

• Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2011, 01:23:40 PM »
Please don't interrupt somebody in the middle of a set for ANY reason.  Period.  Unless the building is on fire.....a really big fast moving fire.     

So am I supposed to use psychic powers to know how many reps you have in a set or if you are going to work through or switch off on machines? 

I've always understood it was okay to ask "how many sets left?" so I can determine if I want to wait to use a machine or find a different machine.  Also knowing if you are going to work abductor 1 set, the adductor 1 set lets me know I shouldn't plan on uninterrupted use for my 3 sets. 

Finally we shall place the Sun himself at the center of the Universe.