Author Topic: Customer service etiquette  (Read 48668 times)

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Customer service etiquette
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 03:23:26 PM »
Customers:
- Please don't tell me that Jane on the other shift never charges you for X, or Bob said you could get Y while you waited after I've told you otherwise. If you have "special arrangements" with another employee, please come when they're here and deal directly with them. Not only will I not help you, but I will be compelled to report them. Remember, they can't do you any favors if they're no longer employed here.

- When calling or making inquiries, get the name of the person you're speaking to - we'll usually volunteer it when we answer the phone, but please verify it for your records if you plan to call/come back. When you tell us, "I talked to some girl yesterday," we assume you're just making stuff up. Also, "the black guy" describes at least five people here. Seriously, get a name.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Germane Jackson

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 03:37:26 PM »
Customers--

I know you might think that we're hoarding all of the sale items 'in the back', but I assure you, if they are in stock, they will be on the shelves.

StaciNadia

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 03:27:32 PM »
Customers:

You know how when you go up to the registers, you get in a line?  It works the same way in the fitting room.  If you're coming out of the fitting room, and I'm helping a line of people trying to get in the fitting room, or there are people who left the fitting room before you I'm helping, please wait your turn.  Fitting room attendants are only one person, and we are required to count your items before you go in and when you leave.

ETA:
Customer service folks:
As an addendum to what KeenReader said in the first post, it is okay to be called "Lady" if you are dealing with people whose first language is not English.  I get called "Lady" a lot, but I know a lot of people in my area are from Spanish-speaking nations, and I guess they thought "Lady" was the best approximation for "Senora" (how do you make the n with the tilde?)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:34:27 PM by StaciNadia »

Finduilas

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
" ņ " is ALT + 164 on the numberpad for those using a PC.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of a cluttered mind, what is the significance of a clean desk? --Lawrence J. Peter

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
ETA:
Customer service folks:
As an addendum to what KeenReader said in the first post, it is okay to be called "Lady" if you are dealing with people whose first language is not English.  I get called "Lady" a lot, but I know a lot of people in my area are from Spanish-speaking nations, and I guess they thought "Lady" was the best approximation for "Senora" (how do you make the n with the tilde?)

I know "Doņa" (respectful form of address for women in Spanish) translates into "Lady" in English, but unfortunately it doesn't have the same connotations in the situation in English that it does in Spanish.  I seriously advise against it. 

"Ma'am" is generally a more appropriate form of address, especially in the South, than "Lady."  Still, people claim to be offended by that.  I think that the important thing is to avoid "Lady."
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

StaciNadia

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 06:43:06 PM »
ETA:
Customer service folks:

I know "Doņa" (respectful form of address for women in Spanish) translates into "Lady" in English, but unfortunately it doesn't have the same connotations in the situation in English that it does in Spanish.  I seriously advise against it. 

"Ma'am" is generally a more appropriate form of address, especially in the South, than "Lady."  Still, people claim to be offended by that.  I think that the important thing is to avoid "Lady."

Oh, I definitely prefer to be called "Ma'am", but if a Spanish speaker says "Lady", I don't mind, because I wouldn't feel right at all correcting their English.

Mopsy428

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
Customers:

Do NOT interrupt me when I'm explaining something. WAIT until it's your turn to speak, and then voice your concerns. Chances are that I'm going to the heart of your question in a bit.

Ex. One customer wanted to what all the charges were on her bill because she never was charged for them in whatever state she lived in before. I started to say, "These charges aren't additional charges. Every utility company charges for these things, but..." and then I was interrupted with a rant. If the ranter had waited for me to finish, she would have found out that this state requires the company to break down the charges.

LISTEN to what I am saying. Asking the same question over and over is not going to change the answer.

If I call you back, asking you to call me back as soon as possible because it is important (sometimes numerous times), do not complain when something "bad" happens and say it is our fault. We try to do everything to help you, but we aren't your parents.

Do NOT call customer service and whine about how we should be keeping track of your account and notify you that your balance is low. Once again, we are not your parents. We have thousands and thousands of customers. You are responsible for your account.

Do not try to guilt trip me into doing something for you or demand that you should get special treatment because of your situation. It doesn't work.

Ex. When I worked at the utility company, a few times, I'd get calls from people who had their power shut off and DEMANDED that we turn them back on with no payment because they had a baby at home OR they had little kids at home who couldn't watch TV. Sorry. Having kids doesn't mean we have to bend over backwards for you.

Edited for grammar
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:27:39 PM by Mopsy428 »

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 02:20:22 PM »
In interacting with CSR's... "Please/Thank you" go VERY far.  Trust me.

Also if you call a company and are upset about whatever, do not take it out on the CSR.  I have said more than once "I'm sorry, I'm not made *at you* I'm just upset over X.  I'd like to go over it slowly so I understand where the mistake is.  Can you help me?"  And it's like the clouds part and I get excellent service.
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 05:02:45 AM »
In interacting with CSR's... "Please/Thank you" go VERY far.  Trust me.

Also if you call a company and are upset about whatever, do not take it out on the CSR.  I have said more than once "I'm sorry, I'm not made *at you* I'm just upset over X.  I'd like to go over it slowly so I understand where the mistake is.  Can you help me?"  And it's like the clouds part and I get excellent service.

And if you do tell somebody I am not mad at you don't then use it to justify being verbally abusive to the person on the other end of the phone. If you say it and are calm I will understand and will most likely tell you I understand that  it is fustrating to have no internet or have your flight be delayed. However, if you say it and then continue shouting at me I will be as polite as I have to be but I am not going to go out of my way for you. Yes this has happened. I have tried to help somebody fix their internet ( my company moved me to a new department doing tech support) and somebody says I am not mad at you but am upset that my internet has not worked since I switched to your provider. Fair enough. Then they go off at me for me making suggestions ( all suggestions I have to say mind you all the while I am thinking this is not going to work as they most likely tried these before) and trying to help them.

MissRose

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
I know what you mean by that snoopygirl ... I work for an internet provider myself doing tech support, and I've heard just about everything good and bad regarding issues customers are having.  I would prefer a customer be calm as possible even though their situation is frustrating & causing issues for them.  Like you, I am more than willing to bend over backwards for a customer who is being nice to me vs. one who is directing their anger towards me for a situation me as a support person can't control.  I also have to check certain things for a reported issue we are asked to check with the customer before any trouble tickets are submitted, not all customer realize we need to check things and ask certain questions of them.  At my place of work, during training we were told approximately 85% of issues were something that the customer has some form of control over not us but that doesn't mean we will be thinking on every call all issues are a customer's fault.

And if you do tell somebody I am not mad at you don't then use it to justify being verbally abusive to the person on the other end of the phone. If you say it and are calm I will understand and will most likely tell you I understand that  it is fustrating to have no internet or have your flight be delayed. However, if you say it and then continue shouting at me I will be as polite as I have to be but I am not going to go out of my way for you. Yes this has happened. I have tried to help somebody fix their internet ( my company moved me to a new department doing tech support) and somebody says I am not mad at you but am upset that my internet has not worked since I switched to your provider. Fair enough. Then they go off at me for me making suggestions ( all suggestions I have to say mind you all the while I am thinking this is not going to work as they most likely tried these before) and trying to help them.

Mopsy428

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »
Here's another one for customers:

If there is a new person at the bank or other place where you generally need ID, but don't show it because the workers recognize you, don't throw a hissy fit because the new person asks you for ID, and then proceed to claim that "everyone here" knows you, and you've been coming here for over 10 years. Do not ask, "Don't you know who I am?!" Sorry, I don't. That's why I'm asking you for ID. Also, it doesn't matter if you have been here 50 years or 1 month. I just started and can't tell you apart from Adam, so you are going to have to show me some ID.

JoW

« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
.... it is okay to be called "Lady" if you are dealing with people whose first language is not English.  I get called "Lady" a lot, but I know a lot of people in my area are from Spanish-speaking nations, and I guess they thought "Lady" was the best approximation for "Senora" ...

I wondered about that.  We have a new guy at work cleaning the offices, and he often calls me "lady".  Apparently he is using a polite greeting translated from his native language.  Its much less annoying now.  Thanks. 

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
13.  If you are obligated by your company policy to disregard one of these rules, attempt to do so with as much politeness as possible.  In that case, it is the policy (and those who decide the policy) that is rude.  If the option is available, please feel free to point any dissatisfied customer toward the appropriate department regarding policy complaints and be apologetic while doing so.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

MasterofSquirrels

• hi.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2009, 12:10:06 PM »
customers:
Please don't lie. there is a reason the policy is the way it is.. it may be because unscrupulous customers before you lied, or the CEO just likes to make our (employees) lives difficult. either way... it's not up to me. lying won't help either of us. 
and if you are upset with service and you complain, don't make up details to make your situation sound worse than it really was. getting someone fired because they didn't smile doesn't help anyone... and if every complaint recieved is *That Heinous* corporate won't take any complaints seriously.. (at least i hope) 

CSRs/Cashiers:
I know that i am not a "somebody" to you, please though, when i am in your lane/line/table/whatever.. make me feel like i am. at the very least smile and say "hello"

Mopsy428

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »
CSRs/Cashiers:
I know that i am not a "somebody" to you, please though, when i am in your lane/line/table/whatever.. make me feel like i am. at the very least smile and say "hello"

And please don't continue on your conversation with the employee next to you.

I'm not sure if this is a recent trend, but now it seems like everywhere I go, cashiers do this. I find it *so* rude. If I did that when I worked in retail, my boss would have written me up--or fired me!