Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Pet Etiquette

<< < (2/19) > >>

KenveeB:

--- Quote from: Maria DD on March 11, 2009, 01:32:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: jane7166 on March 11, 2009, 11:07:21 AM ---It is NOT OK to let your dog bark continuously - if you have a loud barker, bring him or her in the house and get them something to do! 

--- End quote ---

I assumed that this would fall under town bylaws. Do you think I should add it as a separate rule?

--- End quote ---

I don't think it necessarily falls under that rubrik.  Not all towns have ordinances against barking dogs, and I think it's rude to let your dog bark continuously whether or not there's a bylaw against it.

My next-door neighbors have four dogs.  Two are constantly kept outside, and they bark ANY time I step foot in my own yard.  Any time, day or night, no matter what the weather.  It keeps me from being able to enjoy my own property.  I don't care whether there's a law against it, it's really, really irritating!!! 

Millionaire Maria:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on March 11, 2009, 09:05:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Maria DD on March 11, 2009, 01:32:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: jane7166 on March 11, 2009, 11:07:21 AM ---It is NOT OK to let your dog bark continuously - if you have a loud barker, bring him or her in the house and get them something to do! 

--- End quote ---

I assumed that this would fall under town bylaws. Do you think I should add it as a separate rule?

--- End quote ---

I don't think it necessarily falls under that rubrik.  Not all towns have ordinances against barking dogs, and I think it's rude to let your dog bark continuously whether or not there's a bylaw against it.

My next-door neighbors have four dogs.  Two are constantly kept outside, and they bark ANY time I step foot in my own yard.  Any time, day or night, no matter what the weather.  It keeps me from being able to enjoy my own property.  I don't care whether there's a law against it, it's really, really irritating!!! 

--- End quote ---

Done  :)

SiotehCat:

--- Quote from: Black Delphinium on March 11, 2009, 07:54:35 PM ---18) If you dock/declaw/etc, that is between you and your br33der/rescue society/vet. No one else should make you feel bad about your choice, one way or the other. Conversely, be respectful of people who choose differently than you do.

...unless it's that lady that was arrested for piercing kittens. That's just wrong.  ;)

--- End quote ---

So who speaks for the animal when the animal cannot speak for themselves? If people want to mutilate themselves, I can respect that...but when they start mutilating innocent animals that cannot speak up, thats where my respect ends.

When safety trumps etiquette, does that only refer to the safety of humans?

Millionaire Maria:

--- Quote from: SiotehCat on March 11, 2009, 10:00:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: Black Delphinium on March 11, 2009, 07:54:35 PM ---18) If you dock/declaw/etc, that is between you and your br33der/rescue society/vet. No one else should make you feel bad about your choice, one way or the other. Conversely, be respectful of people who choose differently than you do.

...unless it's that lady that was arrested for piercing kittens. That's just wrong.  ;)

--- End quote ---

So who speaks for the animal when the animal cannot speak for themselves? If people want to mutilate themselves, I can respect that...but when they start mutilating innocent animals that cannot speak up, thats where my respect ends.

When safety trumps etiquette, does that only refer to the safety of humans?

--- End quote ---

Those things are not illegal, therefore it is not appropriate to comment on them. If you think that those things should be considered abusive, speak to your congressman, organize a protest, or vote accordingly. Polite conversation is not the time to be bringing them up. Just like any other controversial topic, it can get heated and out of hand. Safety does trump etiquette, but your personal opinion does not define "safety". Regardless of your motivation, which in most cases is very loving, it is still not appropriate to comment on the legal choices that a pet owner makes.

a clever screenname:

--- Quote from: Maria DD on March 11, 2009, 05:45:13 AM ---16. Your pet is your responsibility to feed, shelter, groom, etc. It is also your responsibility to keep your pet from reproducing. Whether that means getting your pet fixed or isolating them during their heat, it is important to note that animals don't respond to abstinence training  ;). irresponsible parents may disregard. Failure to do any of these things is negligence.

--- End quote ---

Just as an aside, can you use a filter-avoiding spelling here, like br33der. I only ask as this guide is intended for newer members who might not be familiar that the ehell filter changes that word to 'irresponsible parent', and therefore may misinterpret the meaning of rule 16.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version