Author Topic: Pet Etiquette  (Read 27048 times)

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
Pet Etiquette
« on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »
1. Most people love their pets very much. Most people also understand that you don't love their pet as much, but please refrain from making disparaging comments to people about their animals.

2. Most people love their pets very much. Not everyone else loves your pet. Do not force your pet's presence and attention on to people who are not interested. Please refrain from talking about your pets at every opportunity.

3. Do not take your pets to places that do not allow them. If you are unsure, call ahead and ask. This goes for businesses, people's homes, and events planned in public places.

4. Service dogs are not pets, they are workers. Do not interact with them at all, unless you have the explicit permission of the person who is using them.

5. Do not approach or interact with anyone's pets without their permission. Do not feed animals without permission. It is also your responsibility to make sure that your children do not interact with or feed pets without the owner's permission.

6. Do not make disparaging comments about others people's choice in pets. For example, it is not appropriate to refer to smaller dogs as "rats", "rodents", or any other derogatory term. Do not say "That's not a dog, it's a ____." Scientists have spent countless hours doing research and I can assure you, it's a canine.

7. It is not appropriate to discuss your opinions on Breed Specific Legislation in mixed company. It is a political topic, and with all political topics, it can get heated and out of hand. This goes for any kind of "current event" or incident you may have seen on the news that could lead to a discussion of BSL.

8. Play parks are for children, dog parks are for dogs. Do not take your dog to a play park and be surprised when you have to shoo away a dozen children while you are attempting a training session. Likewise, if your children are afraid or nervous around dogs, or they don't know how to properly behave around them, do not take them to a dog park.

9. Clean up after your animal. If you forget to bring a plastic bag, go get one.

10. Do not correct someone else's animal unless you have their permission to do so.

11. In reference to #10, people should never be put in the position of having to correct your animal. If you do not believe in teaching an animal certain behaviors (leash training, not begging, not jumping up) that is your right. However, if you choose to refrain from teaching these things, please refrain from bringing your animal around other people. This applies to all pets regardless of species or size.

12. If someone tells you they are nervous or allergic, do not insist on introductions and cuddle sessions. Respect their boundaries. If you are afraid of or allergic to any specific animals please say so. "I'm sorry, but your pet tiger makes me nervous." However, being afraid or allergic does not make it okay to make excessive or grandiose demands. Steamcleaning of carpets and having pets locked up for the duration of your stay fall into this category.

13. Regardless of the size of your pet, aggression towards other living things is not acceptable. If your animal is behaving in an aggressive fashion, please remove them from the situation.

14. Obey all leash laws and town bylaws in regards to registration, and vaccinations. When you are in public with your animal, it is your responsibility to keep it under control. Do not let your animal jump on, sniff, snarl at, etc other animals or people. Once again, this applies to all animals, regardless of size or species.

15. While it may be something that you are passionate about, talking about animal abuse and negligence can make people feel incredibly uncomfortable. It's generally best not to go there.

16. Your pet is your responsibility to feed, shelter, groom, etc. It is also your responsibility to keep your pet from reproducing. Whether that means getting your pet fixed or isolating them during their heat, it is important to note that animals don't respond to abstinence training  ;). br33ders may disregard. Failure to do any of these things is negligence.

17. When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

18. Do not allow your dog to bark continuously. Most towns have by laws in regards to this, but even if yours doesn't it's still rude.

19. Do not sabotage an owner's training by allowing an animal to continue their bad behavior. It may be okay with you, but it is not okay with the owner.

20. If you are walking your pet on a multi use trail, make your animal heel when you hear people coming up behind you.

That's all I can think of right now. Let's hear what you guys think.  :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:47:39 AM by Maria DD »
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Pet Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:03:43 AM »
12a: If you are the allergic/afraid person, that does not give you the right to make major demands, like having the entire house steam cleaned or the animal locked up for the duration of your stay. Any accommodations above and beyond basic etiquette/cleanliness should be appreciated and acknowledged.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

jane7166

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:07:21 AM »
It is NOT OK to let your dog bark continuously - if you have a loud barker, bring him or her in the house and get them something to do! 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
16.  Whenever you take your pet away from your home, keep it under control.  Do not allow it to run around off-leash, or sniff at, jump on, or snarl at other people.

17.  As a pet owner, it is your responsibility to take proper care of your pet in terms of feeding, grooming, exercise, and so on.  Neglect of pets is abuse.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
18) If you dock/declaw/etc, that is between you and your br33der/rescue society/vet. No one else should make you feel bad about your choice, one way or the other. Conversely, be respectful of people who choose differently than you do.

...unless it's that lady that was arrested for piercing kittens. That's just wrong.  ;)
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
It is NOT OK to let your dog bark continuously - if you have a loud barker, bring him or her in the house and get them something to do! 

I assumed that this would fall under town bylaws. Do you think I should add it as a separate rule?

I don't think it necessarily falls under that rubrik.  Not all towns have ordinances against barking dogs, and I think it's rude to let your dog bark continuously whether or not there's a bylaw against it.

My next-door neighbors have four dogs.  Two are constantly kept outside, and they bark ANY time I step foot in my own yard.  Any time, day or night, no matter what the weather.  It keeps me from being able to enjoy my own property.  I don't care whether there's a law against it, it's really, really irritating!!! 

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »

I assumed that this would fall under town bylaws. Do you think I should add it as a separate rule?

I don't think it necessarily falls under that rubrik.  Not all towns have ordinances against barking dogs, and I think it's rude to let your dog bark continuously whether or not there's a bylaw against it.

My next-door neighbors have four dogs.  Two are constantly kept outside, and they bark ANY time I step foot in my own yard.  Any time, day or night, no matter what the weather.  It keeps me from being able to enjoy my own property.  I don't care whether there's a law against it, it's really, really irritating!!! 

Done  :)
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

SiotehCat

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 10:00:32 PM »
18) If you dock/declaw/etc, that is between you and your br33der/rescue society/vet. No one else should make you feel bad about your choice, one way or the other. Conversely, be respectful of people who choose differently than you do.

...unless it's that lady that was arrested for piercing kittens. That's just wrong.  ;)

So who speaks for the animal when the animal cannot speak for themselves? If people want to mutilate themselves, I can respect that...but when they start mutilating innocent animals that cannot speak up, thats where my respect ends.

When safety trumps etiquette, does that only refer to the safety of humans?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 10:06:56 PM by SiotehCat »

Millionaire Maria

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29:21 AM »

So who speaks for the animal when the animal cannot speak for themselves? If people want to mutilate themselves, I can respect that...but when they start mutilating innocent animals that cannot speak up, thats where my respect ends.

Those things are not illegal, therefore it is not appropriate to comment on them. If you think that those things should be considered abusive, speak to your congressman, organize a protest, or vote accordingly. Polite conversation is not the time to be bringing them up. Just like any other controversial topic, it can get heated and out of hand. Safety does trump etiquette, but your personal opinion does not define "safety". Regardless of your motivation, which in most cases is very loving, it is still not appropriate to comment on the legal choices that a pet owner makes.

a clever screenname

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:11 AM »
16. Your pet is your responsibility to feed, shelter, groom, etc. It is also your responsibility to keep your pet from reproducing. Whether that means getting your pet fixed or isolating them during their heat, it is important to note that animals don't respond to abstinence training  ;). irresponsible parents may disregard. Failure to do any of these things is negligence.

Just as an aside, can you use a filter-avoiding spelling here, like br33der. I only ask as this guide is intended for newer members who might not be familiar that the ehell filter changes that word to 'irresponsible parent', and therefore may misinterpret the meaning of rule 16.

zoidberg

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »

Those things are not illegal, therefore it is not appropriate to comment on them. If you think that those things should be considered abusive, speak to your congressman, organize a protest, or vote accordingly. Polite conversation is not the time to be bringing them up. Just like any other controversial topic, it can get heated and out of hand. Safety does trump etiquette, but your personal opinion does not define "safety". Regardless of your motivation, which in most cases is very loving, it is still not appropriate to comment on the legal choices that a pet owner makes.

Just wanted to add that there are already countries where this is illegal. Germany is one of them. Maybe something to consider for the Guide.

HorseFreak

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 10:02:09 AM »
As for 17, "not abuse" is very subjective. I'm not going to say how I feel about it, but I wouldn't make any judgments about how other people should feel when you're telling them not to be judgmental. Some people think it is abusive, some people think it is not and that's why it's a hot topic.

zoidberg

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 11:24:26 AM »
Just wanted to add that there are already countries where this is illegal. Germany is one of them. Maybe something to consider for the Guide.

Could you tell me what is illegal so I can add that in there?

Both docking and declawing are illegal practices in Germany. I've just googled a bit and it seems they are illegal in Austria and Switzerland, too. Can't speakt for other European countries.  :)

dawbs

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »

Could you tell me what is illegal so I can add that in there?

Both docking and declawing are illegal practices in Germany. I've just googled a bit and it seems they are illegal in Austria and Switzerland, too. Can't speakt for other European countries.  :)

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the dog shows have different standards over there as well, due to the ban on tail docking. I think I'll wander over to google and find out.....
Yup, different standards...which are *starting* to be adopted here (many of the dockings and such are no longer *mandatory* in the US--which, of course, doesn't mean that you won't be judged as if it is--meaning that it's legal for a non-docked animal to compete it's just painfully unlikely he or she would win)
(the 'controversy' portion on wikipedia does a decent job addressing it--and a good list of where things are/aren't allowed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog)
)

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »
19) My cat is terrified of children (due to being terrorized when she was a kitten, before I rescued her).  On the rare occasions children come over, she mostly hides (smart kitty).  But she lives here, your child does not and eventually she may wander downstairs.  I will NOT tolerate any teasing, cornering, baiting, chasing or any other "ing" of my cat.  If your child is older, they should know better, if they are younger, you should know better.  If you can not respect the personal space of the cat, you will be asked to leave. (Thankfully this has NEVER come up, my friends raise their kids to respect animals).

20) Please, please tell me if you are allergic and I will make accomdations (even shut her in my room, yes with food, water and the box).  But kicking at my cat and screaming "GET AWAY" is not the appropriate way to handle your allergy (YES, this has happened...).

21) Only I discipline my cat. Period.

ETA: To chastise myself for not reading the thread completely.  Thanks Maria DD!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:04:44 PM by Littlepixie »
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.