Author Topic: Pet Etiquette  (Read 26858 times)

dawbs

Re: Pet Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 10:23:15 PM »
Just wanted to add that there are already countries where this is illegal. Germany is one of them. Maybe something to consider for the Guide.

Could you tell me what is illegal so I can add that in there?

Both docking and declawing are illegal practices in Germany. I've just googled a bit and it seems they are illegal in Austria and Switzerland, too. Can't speakt for other European countries.  :)

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the dog shows have different standards over there as well, due to the ban on tail docking. I think I'll wander over to google and find out.....
Yup, different standards...which are *starting* to be adopted here (many of the dockings and such are no longer *mandatory* in the US--which, of course, doesn't mean that you won't be judged as if it is--meaning that it's legal for a non-docked animal to compete it's just painfully unlikely he or she would win)
(the 'controversy' portion on wikipedia does a decent job addressing it--and a good list of where things are/aren't allowed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docking_(dog)
)

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:34 PM »
19) My cat is terrified of children (due to being terrorized when she was a kitten, before I rescued her).  On the rare occasions children come over, she mostly hides (smart kitty).  But she lives here, your child does not and eventually she may wander downstairs.  I will NOT tolerate any teasing, cornering, baiting, chasing or any other "ing" of my cat.  If your child is older, they should know better, if they are younger, you should know better.  If you can not respect the personal space of the cat, you will be asked to leave. (Thankfully this has NEVER come up, my friends raise their kids to respect animals).

20) Please, please tell me if you are allergic and I will make accomdations (even shut her in my room, yes with food, water and the box).  But kicking at my cat and screaming "GET AWAY" is not the appropriate way to handle your allergy (YES, this has happened...).

21) Only I discipline my cat. Period.

ETA: To chastise myself for not reading the thread completely.  Thanks Maria DD!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:04:44 PM by Littlepixie »
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 06:24:47 PM »
22) If you do not do something about your animal after several reasonable request, it is not rude for the harassed person to do something for you.

** This needs some limitors, but I can't think of what. To illustrate: My BF's roommate had a macaw she allowed to roam free. Usually, BF does not allow it in her room (as it defecates everywhere), especially when I am there as I am afraid of birds. Both BF and her roomie know of the fear as I made sure they knew before I came over. BF, BF's roomie and I are all sitting there and in walks mr. macaw. He's beautiful, but again - the fear! But, he took a liking to me and walked over to me and started NIBBLING on my TOES! AHHH!! I am pulling my feet away and asking BF's roomie to please remove the bird - over and over. Then the bird grabbed my pant legs and attempted to CLIMB UP MY LEGS. I shoved him away with my foot (note - I DID NOT kick him, just shoved him away so i could move away from him - I was pinned between him and a chair I was sitting on) jumped up and stood on my BF's bed while BF's roomie yelled at me that he just liked me and want to make friends as macaw shuffled around the room aparantly unaffected by the entire episode.

I think the rude ones were BF and her roomie for not doing something when I was paralyzed with fear and practically begging them to help.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Sleepless

• Clicky-love for the dragons!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 07:07:01 PM »
Children should never be allowed to approach a strange dog without the owner's express permission. Adults really shouldn't either.

Don't ever attempt to pet a dog left in a vehicle. They are often very possessive in that situation.

Don't ever disparage someone else's choice of pet.

RooRoo

• I’m out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 01:51:27 AM »
Don't let your dog run up to a leashed dog while saying, "It's OK, he's friendly." Your dog may be the friendliest dog in the world - the other person's may not be.

When my dog jumps up on you, and I say "Gracie, get off," Please don't say, "That's OK" and encourage her. I am not apologizing to you, I am trying to train my dog. Please do not sabotage my training.

When walking on a mixed-use trail, if you hear or see a bicycle coming, call your dog to heel and move to the side of the trail. (You'd be surprised at how many cyclists have thanked me , in a surprised tone of voice, for doing this.)

At dog shows, strollers, especially the big ones, are not a good idea. You want to be able to scoop baby up away from face-licking dogs. Not to mention that male dogs might lift their leg on it. (Show dogs are not fixed, and there is usually at least one female in season present, so most of the boys will want to mark anything that sticks up.)

Most people at dog shows will be happy to talk abut their dogs and their breed - but not when they're waiting to go into the ring. They will be trying to settle their dogs down and get them to focus.

Always, always, always ask before you pet someone's dog, and teach your kids to do so too. And take "no" for an answer.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
Don't let your dog run up to a leashed dog while saying, "It's OK, he's friendly." Your dog may be the friendliest dog in the world - the other person's may not be.

And when my dog IS leashed and is mannerly walking down the sidewalk without bothering anyone, don't give me the evil-eye and expect me to haul him into the street just because YOUR dog is going to yap and chase him.  The unmannered dog is the one that should be more strictly controlled.  And no, just because your dog is smaller doesn't automatically mean he's better-behaved.  My dog is 53 pounds, but he walks politely on his leash, sits on command, and behaves when I tell him to.  I'd rather have him around than your 10 pound dog that goes running down the street while you shout "Muffin!  Muffin honey, don't DO that!"   ::)

When my dog jumps up on you, and I say "Gracie, get off," Please don't say, "That's OK" and encourage her. I am not apologizing to you, I am trying to train my dog. Please do not sabotage my training.

That's so annoying.  I'm trying to teach Casey to sit when he first meets people (to avoid the jumping).  So someone will come charging up and say "can I pet him?", and I'll say "he just has to sit first," and they'll start petting him anyway.  The worst are the boys who think it's hysterical to make the dog jump up!

SiotehCat

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 11:33:10 AM »

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if you had control of your dog on a leash, why would he be jumping on people? And once he jumps on people, your first response is not one of apologies to the person being jumped on?

Megan

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if you had control of your dog on a leash, why would he be jumping on people? And once he jumps on people, your first response is not one of apologies to the person being jumped on?

I had this problem all the time trying to train my parents little dog.  It was usually people who approached us without asking, and then encouraged the jumping.  i had control of the dog, but if I'm walking him down the sidewalk, working on teaching him how to ignore people, that all gets messed up when the person we were ignoring starts talking to him, or stops and fusses. (I'm not talking about polite people who as we approached each other said something, then I could prepare myself, and the dog)

AprilRenee

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »

First response is to correct the dog. If you wait, it's too late. Second response immediatly after correcting the dog should be apologies.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »

And when my dog IS leashed and is mannerly walking down the sidewalk without bothering anyone, don't give me the evil-eye and expect me to haul him into the street just because YOUR dog is going to yap and chase him.  The unmannered dog is the one that should be more strictly controlled.  And no, just because your dog is smaller doesn't automatically mean he's better-behaved.  My dog is 53 pounds, but he walks politely on his leash, sits on command, and behaves when I tell him to.  I'd rather have him around than your 10 pound dog that goes running down the street while you shout "Muffin!  Muffin honey, don't DO that!"   ::)

That's so annoying.  I'm trying to teach Casey to sit when he first meets people (to avoid the jumping).  So someone will come charging up and say "can I pet him?", and I'll say "he just has to sit first," and they'll start petting him anyway.  The worst are the boys who think it's hysterical to make the dog jump up!

I can relate to that.  Our dog doesn't do it anymore - but I was having a hard time training him not to do this.  It turned out that our sons (age around 10 and 11 at the time) and their friends thought it was funny and were actually encouraging him.

dawbs

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »

When I've done it, it's been with unexpected guests.
If I know guests are coming, I put a leash on El Pupus Extraordinaire or at least am alerted to maintain control.  When she is outside in my yard and someone drops by (family, solicitor, mailman, etc) I don't have immediate control.  And then when I work on regaining control, they undermine the training.

RooRoo

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2009, 02:47:18 AM »
What Dawbs said.

Gracie is a Miniature Bull Terrier, and everyone she meets wants to pet her, and she thoroughly agrees with that idea. When she's on leash, I have a chance to control her. When she's not... Oh, well.
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »
Submitted For Your Approval

Pet Etiquette

1. Most people love their pets very much. Most people also understand that you don't love their pet as much, but please refrain from making disparaging comments to people about their animals.

2. Most people love their pets very much. Not everyone else loves your pet. Do not force your pet's presence and attention on to people who are not interested. Please refrain from talking about your pets at every opportunity.

3. Do not take your pets to places that do not allow them. If you are unsure, call ahead and ask. This goes for businesses, people's homes, and events planned in public places.

4. Service dogs are not pets, they are workers. Do not interact with them at all, unless you have the explicit permission of the person who is using them.

5. Do not approach or interact with anyone's pets without their permission. Do not feed animals without permission. It is also your responsibility to make sure that your children do not interact with or feed pets without the owner's permission.

6. Do not make disparaging comments about others people's choice in pets. For example, it is not appropriate to refer to smaller dogs as "rats", "rodents", or any other derogatory term. Do not say "That's not a dog, it's a ____." Scientists have spent countless hours doing research and I can assure you, it's a canine.

7. It is not appropriate to discuss your opinions on Breed Specific Legislation in mixed company. It is a political topic, and with all political topics, it can get heated and out of hand. This goes for any kind of "current event" or incident you may have seen on the news that could lead to a discussion of BSL.

8. Play parks are for children, dog parks are for dogs. Do not take your dog to a play park and be surprised when you have to shoo away a dozen children while you are attempting a training session. Likewise, if your children are afraid or nervous around dogs, or they don't know how to properly behave around them, do not take them to a dog park.

9. Clean up after your animal. If you forget to bring a plastic bag, go get one.

10. Do not correct someone else's animal unless you have their permission to do so.

11. In reference to #10, people should never be put in the position of having to correct your animal. If you do not believe in teaching an animal certain behaviors (leash training, not begging, not jumping up) that is your right. However, if you choose to refrain from teaching these things, please refrain from bringing your animal around other people. This applies to all pets regardless of species or size.

12. If someone tells you they are nervous or allergic, do not insist on introductions and cuddle sessions. Respect their boundaries. If you are afraid of or allergic to any specific animals please say so. "I'm sorry, but your pet tiger makes me nervous." However, being afraid or allergic does not make it okay to make excessive or grandiose demands. Steamcleaning of carpets and having pets locked up for the duration of your stay fall into this category.

13. Regardless of the size of your pet, aggression towards other living things is not acceptable. If your animal is behaving in an aggressive fashion, please remove them from the situation.

14. Obey all leash laws and town bylaws in regards to registration, and vaccinations. When you are in public with your animal, it is your responsibility to keep it under control. Do not let your animal jump on, sniff, snarl at, etc other animals or people. Once again, this applies to all animals, regardless of size or species.

15. While it may be something that you are passionate about, talking about animal abuse and negligence can make people feel incredibly uncomfortable. It's generally best not to go there.

16. Your pet is your responsibility to feed, shelter, groom, etc. It is also your responsibility to keep your pet from reproducing. Whether that means getting your pet fixed or isolating them during their heat, it is important to note that animals don't respond to abstinence training  ;). br33ders may disregard. Failure to do any of these things is negligence.

17. When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

18. Do not allow your dog to bark continuously. Most towns have by laws in regards to this, but even if yours doesn't it's still rude.

19. Do not sabotage an owner's training by allowing an animal to continue their bad behavior. It may be okay with you, but it is not okay with the owner.

20. If you are walking your pet on a multi use trail, make your animal heel when you hear people coming up behind you.

People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

RooRoo

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
Excellent summary, Maria!

Thanks!

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »
Thank you Roo Roo.  :)
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson