Author Topic: Pet Etiquette  (Read 26926 times)

threedogs

Re: Pet Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
Do not make derogatory comments on the 'equipment' my dog is wearing, be it a harness, collar or head halter, as long as it is not being used in an abusive manner.   While you may not like the look of a certain collar or other restraint, it may be the most humane and effective way to control a particular dog.

Betelnut

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »
Slight variations on 3 and 12:

If you have an unusual pet that many people are phobic about and are bringing it out in public, please warn people before approaching them with the pet. 

(I'm not really thinking about dogs here since those are common and people who are afraid of dogs are probably always on alert while out in public. I'm talking about snakes, tarantulas, etc.  I don't have these phobias but I've witnessed people freaking out when unexpectedly confronted with a large snake.)
Native Texan, Marylander currently

snowfire

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:18 PM »
I think some folks with exotic pets LIKE the shock value.  A few years back a young guy walked into the jewelry store where I worked with about 10 feet of albino python draped around his neck.  That is one of the few snakes I can reliably identify. (Thanks Animal Planet!)

Somehow I just got the vibe that he was waiting for the girly screams of SNAAAAKKEEEE in a three octave crecendo.  He was totally dissapointed.... ;D  I just gushed over how beautiful the snake was.  (And she was!) 

I don't mind snakes, I just don't know enough about them to identify them in the wild.  I still turned down the offer from a friend for the loan of his pregnant boa constrictor to clean out the cockroaches in my old apartment.  Apparently she considered them a delicacy.  :-X

Don't get me started on spiders though...WAAAAAY too many legs.  And some have nasty bites...

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 04:04:11 AM »
When my dog jumps up on you, and I say "Gracie, get off," Please don't say, "That's OK" and encourage her. I am not apologizing to you, I am trying to train my dog. Please do not sabotage my training.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but if you had control of your dog on a leash, why would he be jumping on people? And once he jumps on people, your first response is not one of apologies to the person being jumped on?
First response is to correct the dog. If you wait, it's too late. Second response immediatly after correcting the dog should be apologies.

that's exactly it.

I had my dog pretty much trained off jumping. Then, while playing with other dogs, offleash, one other owner kept petting her and giving her treats while very VERY excited AND encouraging her to jump up. Now, a year later, she does not jump up on me (when very excited she'll bounce up and down in front of me) or my hubby but she'll try jumping on strangers who come into our house unexpected. If expected, she's on leash for the first few minutes of excitement and after that is told to sit and stay to sniff at the guests and no longer thinks of jumping.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »
Sorry to revive an old thread, hope no-one minds.

Could we revise 1?  You (general) shouldn't talk badly of pets similar to a pet owner's animals either.

I have a rabbit and 2 hamsters, I have had hamsters for 20 years in fact.  I HATE having people tell me in detail how their rabbit or hamster died, or the rabbit or hamster of someone they know died.  I got quite upset with a man at the vet recently going on about the rabbits his dog kills.

Oddly enough I've not heard of this kind of thing happening to owners of dogs and cats.  I mod a rabbit owners forum and our members get comments like these and comments about rabbit stew all.the.time.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
When you take your dog to a dog park please respect the rules of the dog park.  That means small dogs in the small dog area; large dogs in the large dog area.

Pick up after your dog, there are bag dispensers for a reason.

Don't expect your dog to have private use of the dog park.  It's in public people!

Notice when your dog has had enough group time and take it home.  When the beagle becomes Velcro Dog we know he's ready to leave.

Emmy

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
This pertains mainly to rural areas, but if you allow a dog to roam outside, make sure it is trained not to chase people who happen to walk along the street or ride by on a bike.  If your dog can't be trusted not to chase people who pass by or the mailman/UPS worker, ect., it would be better to keep it inside, behind a fence, or on a chain.

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »
This pertains mainly to rural areas, but if you allow a dog to roam outside, make sure it is trained not to chase people who happen to walk along the street or ride by on a bike.  If your dog can't be trusted not to chase people who pass by or the mailman/UPS worker, ect., it would be better to keep it inside, behind a fence, or on a chain.

Pod to this. If you don't do this it can scare somebody who is walking along. When I walk to the shops ( so we are talkin a busy road as it has three big supermarkets) there is a house with a dalmation that is not chained when it is out. That dog is mean. It growls at you and starts to run toward you. Sometimes I am scared it will attack and dogs don't usually scare me. After it is done scaring the pants off of me it runs away. But I wonder if I should say something to somebody about this dog.

Auntie Mame

• Live! Live! LIVE!
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »
1) Do not jump on my head at the crack of dawn, you are not starving, you can wait a few minutes for your food

2) Do not jump up on my lap and shove your bottom in my face, I don't need to see that

3) Do not try to trip me while I am walking down the stairs, if I break my arms, no one can feed you

4) Do not jump on a guests jacket and make sweet sweet love to it, it's embarrassing

5) OH! Can't you do that in the other room? Honestly!

6) Do not start yowling and batting at my head when I am on the phone, I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU!

7) Do not climb on my dinner plate or try to knock my food off my fork so you can eat it

8 ) Use the designated scratching post only

Now, does anyone know how to get a cat to follow etiquette?

Heehee, someone had to :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:24:54 AM by Littlepixie »
Auntie needs fuel, black coffee and a side car.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2010, 04:44:50 AM »
1) Do not jump on my head at the crack of dawn, you are not starving, you can wait a few minutes for your food

2) Do not jump up on my lap and shove your bottom in my face, I don't need to see that

3) Do not try to trip while I am walking down the stairs, if I break my arms, no one can feed you

4) Do not jump on a guests jacket and make sweet sweet love to it, it's embarrassing

5) OH! Can't you do that in the other room? Honestly!

6) Do not start yowling and batting at my head when I am on the phone, I AM NOT TALKING TO YOU!

7) Do not climb on my dinner plate or try to knock my food off my fork so you can eat it

8 ) Use the designated scratching post only

Now, does anyone know how to get a cat to follow etiquette?

Heehee, someone had to :)

9)  And when you fart don't look at us like we did it.  :-X
Stewart/Colbert '16

Brandydan

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Just because one person (um...me) may own more than one purebred, pedigree dog does NOT make it okay for you to demonize that person and claim that (a) all 'recognized' bre3ds of dogs/cats come from puppymills and (b) a shelter animal died in its place.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Just because one person (um...me) may own more than one purebred, pedigree dog does NOT make it okay for you to demonize that person and claim that (a) all 'recognized' bre3ds of dogs/cats come from puppymills and (b) a shelter animal died in its place.

podNTH
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

L.A. Lady

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »

podNTH

My purebreed Basset Hound rescue pup salutes you!

Lillie82

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »
[

7. It is not appropriate to discuss your opinions on Breed Specific Legislation in mixed company. It is a political topic, and with all political topics, it can get heated and out of hand. This goes for any kind of "current event" or incident you may have seen on the news that could lead to a discussion of BSL.

lol. I know some people who are into many political things, (many having to do with discrimination against groups of people) and they also rescue animals. They find it "bigoted" to generalize that a particular breed is inherently aggressively or viscious.

[/quote]

Garden Goblin

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

Agreed.

My old boxer was cropped and docked, and I took abuse on it a couple times.  The thing was, she was a rescue dog, and came to me that way, as well as terrified of people, nearly dead from starvation, covered in ticks and fleas, and suffering from kennel cough.