Author Topic: Pet Etiquette  (Read 26337 times)

Brandydan

Re: Pet Etiquette
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Just because one person (um...me) may own more than one purebred, pedigree dog does NOT make it okay for you to demonize that person and claim that (a) all 'recognized' bre3ds of dogs/cats come from puppymills and (b) a shelter animal died in its place.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 01:58:06 PM »
Just because one person (um...me) may own more than one purebred, pedigree dog does NOT make it okay for you to demonize that person and claim that (a) all 'recognized' bre3ds of dogs/cats come from puppymills and (b) a shelter animal died in its place.

podNTH
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

L.A. Lady

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »

podNTH

My purebreed Basset Hound rescue pup salutes you!

Lillie82

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 08:21:39 PM »
[

7. It is not appropriate to discuss your opinions on Breed Specific Legislation in mixed company. It is a political topic, and with all political topics, it can get heated and out of hand. This goes for any kind of "current event" or incident you may have seen on the news that could lead to a discussion of BSL.

lol. I know some people who are into many political things, (many having to do with discrimination against groups of people) and they also rescue animals. They find it "bigoted" to generalize that a particular breed is inherently aggressively or viscious.

[/quote]

Garden Goblin

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 06:16:26 PM »
When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

Agreed.

My old boxer was cropped and docked, and I took abuse on it a couple times.  The thing was, she was a rescue dog, and came to me that way, as well as terrified of people, nearly dead from starvation, covered in ticks and fleas, and suffering from kennel cough. 

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

Agreed.

My old boxer was cropped and docked, and I took abuse on it a couple times.  The thing was, she was a rescue dog, and came to me that way, as well as terrified of people, nearly dead from starvation, covered in ticks and fleas, and suffering from kennel cough. 

Besides, boxer tails are docked for a reason!  Their tails are very thin and fragile, and it's very common for them to get "happy tail" -- hitting it against things when they wag to the point that they break bones and basically beat it bloody.  My rescue boxer had a natural tail when he was rescued, but they had to dock it within a few weeks because he was beating it bloody against his crate.

Waltzing Matilda

• Sane in Surfers Paradise
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2010, 07:15:29 AM »
If you're scared of dogs or don't like them, don't go for a walk on the leash-free dog beach! We have a couple of dog beaches near us and I couldn't tell you how many times I've come across (usually) women screaming at people to keep their dogs away from them. All of the dogs are beautifully behaved - I've never seen a dog fight at one of these beaches as the dogs are too busy having fun with each other. I even had one berate me for having my dog off her leash on the beach. Lady, it's a leash-free area specifically set aside for dogs. We live on the Gold Coast; there are about 40km of other beaches that are set aside just for people. Please feel free to use them and not hassle my dog.
There's nothing wrong with me that a little chocolate wouldn't fix.

DistantStar

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
Ah, so I'm not the only one out there with a declawed kitty saying, "I didn't do it!  She came from the shelter, and it was her previous people!  I swear!"  (I won't deny that it's rather nice not being clawed, but I think it's truly unfair and mean to do it.)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »
Please don't argue with the owners when you ask what breed of dog/cat/rabbit/whatever they have.  Insisting that no, the pet must be a *whatever you think* is rude.  Even if the owners say they have no idea, or only a partial idea, stating authoritatively that *you know* can be considered rude.  Unless you're the person who bred that particular pet!

I'll always remember the lady who insisted our AKC registered Chesapeake Bay Retriever must be a Labrador, because MiHi was the same color as a chocolate lab.  She followed me for at least three blocks, claiming that she knew better than I did!  I almost offered to run home and find MiHi's papers, but didn't want her to know where we lived.  I was afraid to walk the dog on her normal route for almost a week, because I didn't want to meet that lady again. 

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »

4. Service dogs are not pets, they are workers. Do not interact with them at all, unless you have the explicit permission of the person who is using them.

5. Do not approach or interact with anyone's pets without their permission. Do not feed animals without permission. It is also your responsibility to make sure that your children do not interact with or feed pets without the owner's permission.

These two are fundamental. I saw a man with a service dog on a bus. The number of adults/kids who approached the dog was incredible. I had to eventually step in for the man and say "Please, do not touch a dog when he's in the harness, he's working." The man said "Thank you, sweetie, I get nervous saying that!" I really, really WOULD not touch a service dog whilst in the harness. It's not fair on the dog and confuses the boundaries for them. A working dog is just that, a working dog.

I would not actually touch anyone else's dog unless I know the dog and owner VERY well indeed. I have been bitten by 2 dogs, on one occasion it was partly my fault (I was intoxicated, the man brought the dog into a crowded pub and I really should not have gone anywhere near the thing).  These days, I avoid dogs, totally, unless I KNOW that the dog won't panic and try to attack me. There is only 1 dog I will go near and he is a dear regular of our local pub, an old black labrador, so docile and friendly with people and genuinely loves to be petted. I know his owner very well and she knows me, but more importantly the DOG knows me. I quite often go in there with treats for Abdul! DF adores this dog as much as I do. He is the only dog I feel able to approach at the moment.

Approaching a strange dog in public, to me, is just not good.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Mopsy428

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:10 AM »
10. Do not correct someone else's animal unless you have their permission to do so.

11. In reference to #10, people should never be put in the position of having to correct your animal. If you do not believe in teaching an animal certain behaviors (leash training, not begging, not jumping up) that is your right. However, if you choose to refrain from teaching these things, please refrain from bringing your animal around other people. This applies to all pets regardless of species or size.

So, just to clarify, if a pet is jumping on a person, that person is not rude to correct, right? Because I hate being jumped on, being sniffed, and having my toes bitten, so if your pet does do that, I will have to tell him/her to stop doing that. I'll give the owner a chance, but if the pet is jumping on me, I will probably tell him to stop.

I'm not sure if these will fall in as corollaries, but here is what I thought of:

-If you antagonize an animal (like pulling its tail/hair/skin), please do not blame the owner if/when the animal reacts. It's not the animal's fault.

-On the other hand, if your animal does cause harm to another person, don't blame the person. The excuses "You ran away from Fido!", "You were giving off an odor that made pet react" and "You are pregnant. What did you expect him to do?" do not mean that your pet was justified in harming someone.

(Example: I was walking home from school when someone's Dalmatian bit me. I saw it running down the street, heard it barking, and I started to run, although I didn't make it that far before it secured its teeth into my calf. The owner said that the dog was leashed. This was false, as 3 other people could confirm, and then the owner told the police officer that it was my fault because I was "running away". The police officer looked at the owner and said, "Lady, she's 7. The dog is bigger than she is. It was chasing her down the street. What did you think she was going to do?"

Then when my Mom was pregnant with my sister and me, she was walking home from the store when the neighbor's Doberman pincher (unleashed, on public property) jumped on her and she slipped on ice while trying to get away from it. The owner said to her, "The dog probably did that because you are pregnant. You need to be careful."  ::))

-Please do not tell someone who has been bitten by an animal that it "didn't hurt that badly". Yes, it does hurt, particularly if it was a large animal.

(I feel like telling these people that if it doesn't hurt that badly, they should go down to the police station and volunteer to be a subject for K-9 unit training. But I don't.  :-X)

HollysCats

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2011, 02:58:43 AM »
17. When it comes to tail docking, ear cropping, de clawing, breeding, or any other controversial subject, it is not your business what another pet owner chooses to do or not do. As much as you may despise the practice, it is not abuse, and therefore it is not acceptable to comment on it. Please note that laws detailing abuse differ from area to area. Please be informed before taking any action.

Whether it's abuse or not is a matter of opinion that reasonable people disagree on; "it is not abuse" is a statement of support of one side of the controversy and actually violates the rule about not commenting on it. I'd propose something like this:

17. Tail docking, ear cropping, declawing, etc. are controversial subjects. Please be aware that emotions can run high and take care to discuss these subjects respectfully (if at all).

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »
-If you antagonize an animal (like pulling its tail/hair/skin), please do not blame the owner if/when the animal reacts. It's not the animal's fault.

-On the other hand, if your animal does cause harm to another person, don't blame the person. The excuses "You ran away from Fido!", "You were giving off an odor that made pet react" and "You are pregnant. What did you expect him to do?" do not mean that your pet was justified in harming someone.

I think those are excellent corollaries.  You should absolutely control your animal.  I get really annoyed when people leave their dogs to run around without trying to control them.  They come running up to my dogs barking and snarling, and the owners just laugh from off to the side and say "It's okay, he's friendly."  Okay, well, maybe mine aren't.  You have no way of knowing that.  You should never let your dog go running up to a stranger or a strange dog.

But by the same token, you should also not blame an animal for acting like an animal when you provoke it.  I'm still bitter at the lady who calls my well-behaved and trained boxer a "crazy dog" because he jumped up and knocked over her child.  Well, her child ran up behind him shrieking at the top of her lungs.  Yes, he jumped.  What do you expect??  Some animals would have attacked, but all he did was jump because he was startled.  And Precious ran up so close to him that of course she was knocked over.  He wasn't going after her or trying to jump into her, but she acts like he was Cujo. :p   (For the record, she ran up so quickly I didn't see her either, or I would've been able to hold him down when he started to jump.)

Mopsy428

« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2011, 12:34:41 PM »
I

I think those are excellent corollaries.  You should absolutely control your animal.  I get really annoyed when people leave their dogs to run around without trying to control them.  They come running up to my dogs barking and snarling, and the owners just laugh from off to the side and say "It's okay, he's friendly."  Okay, well, maybe mine aren't.  You have no way of knowing that.  You should never let your dog go running up to a stranger or a strange dog.

But by the same token, you should also not blame an animal for acting like an animal when you provoke it.  I'm still bitter at the lady who calls my well-behaved and trained boxer a "crazy dog" because he jumped up and knocked over her child.  Well, her child ran up behind him shrieking at the top of her lungs.  Yes, he jumped.  What do you expect??  Some animals would have attacked, but all he did was jump because he was startled.  And Precious ran up so close to him that of course she was knocked over.  He wasn't going after her or trying to jump into her, but she acts like he was Cujo. :p   (For the record, she ran up so quickly I didn't see her either, or I would've been able to hold him down when he started to jump.)
Oh, yes! I meant to include animal along with the owner in the first part!

snowdragon

« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

10. Do not correct someone else's animal unless you have their permission to do so.

I someone's dog is on my property or is acting aggressively towards me or my things I am going to correct it. Same thing with jumping or trying to take food from me,ect. I f you can't handle that then don't  allow it to act in a manner that will force someone into a position where they need to correct your pet. ever