Author Topic: My friend wants to write a book  (Read 5754 times)

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
My friend wants to write a book
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:09:47 PM »
I followed someone on Twitter yesterday, and she proceeded to ask a bunch of pushy questions. I think (from viewing her other comments) that she's nice but socially clueless.

This morning I get a private message from her: can I do her a favor? Nothing more than that. I write back that it depends on what the favor is. She writes me again and says she wants me to call her friend who wants to write a novel. I write back that if she sends me her friend's email address, it would be easier to share tips and websites and such. Also that with four kids, I have little time to speak on the phone.

She writes back with that she really wants me to call her friend.

I wrote back and said I'm sorry, but that wouldn't be possible. It's email or nothing, but here's the website for the Snowflake Method if she prefers that.

Can't wait to see what happens next.  ::)

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

bluebirds

Re: My friend wants to write a book
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:57:30 PM »
Hi Tabris,

would you mind helping me write a book? I've got all the ideas and everything, and I've got some chapters in my head, I just need someone to put them in writing for me. I'll even put you in my acknowledgements!

Thanks!

SSBluebirds x

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:06:29 PM »
What?  You're not dying to call a woman you've never met?  I can maybe see your friend asking if her friend could call you, but that's ridiculous.

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
And I've known this person on Twitter less than 24 hours too, which makes it all the sweeter. Lovely, huh?

She's active online right now but hasn't replied to me after that, so I guess she recognizes a shut door when she sees one.

Bluebirds, I'd totally love to write your book for you, except that it won't be possible.  ;) ;D ;)

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

bluebirds

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 06:13:02 PM »
 ;D

Wow, less than 24hrs on twitter, and she is willing to give out her friend's information to a stranger?! Awful woman...

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 07:42:30 PM »
Hi Tabris,

would you mind helping me write a book? I've got all the ideas and everything, and I've got some chapters in my head, I just need someone to put them in writing for me. I'll even put you in my acknowledgements!

Thanks!

SSBluebirds x
Ahahahaha!!!  ;D

You really made me giggle Bluebirds, thanks.

Tabris, isn't it awesome when people ask you to do them a favour, but only on terms acceptable to them?  And by "awesome" I mean "totally ridiculous."
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
That's what I find amusing: I'm willing to help, but over email rather than phone.

Or, she can google "how to write a novel" and voila, she'll have more information than she ever imagined.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »
Are you sure this isn't just a come-on from someone who's really 'twittermarketing'?  That's what I'd suspect from only knowing them 24 hours.

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 01:57:25 PM »
No, she's a real person. I see her chatting with mutual follows.

I posed on my weblog today asking for tips for a beginning novelist.  ;) ANyone who reads or writes can leave advice. I might as well get a blog entry out of this incident...

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:25:57 AM »
Are you sure this isn't just a come-on from someone who's really 'twittermarketing'?  That's what I'd suspect from only knowing them 24 hours.
Pardon my ignorance, and the thread hijack, but what is that exactly (beyond using Twitter for marketing purposes)?

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 08:01:26 AM »
There are spammers who set up an account on Twitter, add as many people as they can to follow, and then wait for the ones that will automatically follow them back. Then they send those people direct messages selling them stuff.

This person has continued being around on Twitter and seems to be a genuine human being, not a salesperson.  ;D  Over on my weblog, I compiled a bunch of tips on how to write a novel (and asked other writers to do the same--we got a lot!) and then directed her there to send her friend. She was pleased with that, and there hasn't been any more discussion about novels.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »
I think a certain amount of this kind of thing is inherent w/ Twitter and Facebook. People get confused; they think they actually *know* you. So they ask favors that are really only appropriate to ask of people that you DO know well.

And, there's a lot of hype around Twitter especially that it will help people connect with other people who can help them. So people take the cue as well.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 02:53:12 AM »
Thanks for the explanation guys. :)

YogaChick

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Is it possible that the friend doesn't have Internet access?

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 03:22:05 PM »
Is it possible that the friend doesn't have Internet access?

It's possible but no explanation was given.