Author Topic: Dessert Table Setting  (Read 2989 times)

Mammavan

Dessert Table Setting
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »
I'm hosting the meeting of my crafting group tonight.  Generally we create our objets d'art at the dining room or kitchen table and then clear it and informally serve coffee and cake, pouring coffee and cutting cake and passing the mugs and cake plates around.  However, tonight is a catch-up-on-your-needlework meeting so we'll be sitting in the living room and coming to the DR table for refreshments.

I love to set a pretty table and prepared the table last night.  However, it looks odd to me with the fork and spoon to the left and right of the cake plate.  I know that in a formal dinner setting the dessert utensils can be above the plate but that looked even stranger.  Any suggestions?

twinkletoes

Re: Dessert Table Setting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:14:51 PM »
When you said people were coming up to the dining room for desserts, I pictured a much more informal setting - all of the desserts would be arranged on the table, with the plates and utensils on one side of the table, sort of like a buffet, and then people could sit where they wanted.  Is that what you were going for, or were you looking for a more formal, seated arrangement?

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:41:36 PM »
I think that I would serve the desserts as a buffet. This would give you a chance to have a variety of desserts and everyone could mingle and sit where they want.

If you want to formally set the table for a desserts only event then the fork on the left and the spoon on the right of the plate and a bowl on the plate if needed with the cups and glasses set as with dinner.

Or you could set the silverware for each person at their place and then serve the dessert already plated up to each person after everyone is seated.

Since this is a craft group I would go with the buffet style, but you know how things are done with your group.

Sibby

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »
if the spoon is for coffee and the fork is for dessert, you can put the spoon, parallel with the table edge, above the plate, and leave the fork on the left of the plate

Mammavan

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:22:16 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  There's only one dessert (Kahlua bundt cake).  There are only six of us, and it's a very informal group.  I'm pushing the envelope by actually having a table set; I'd hate to be accused of raising the bar or putting on airs!  But maybe a little softly whipped cream and a few raspberries could slip by.

AuntieN

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 05:54:19 PM »
Sounds like a very nice get-together!

Try a buffet, and roll each individual silverware setting in nice napkins with a pretty ribbon around it.

That's how I would side-step the issue!

twinkletoes

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 10:48:59 AM »
If you don't mind, could you please post the recipe?  That cake sounds awesome!

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:13:57 AM »
Sounds like a very nice get-together!

Try a buffet, and roll each individual silverware setting in nice napkins with a pretty ribbon around it.

That's how I would side-step the issue!

I'd set the table as planned then follow AuntieN's suggestion for the silverware and pop it on the plate at a pleasing angle.

Mammavan

Re: Dessert Table Setting - with Recipe
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:43:15 AM »
Thanks for your suggestions.  The table looked very nice and everyone loved the cake.  As requested, here's the recipe:
Kahlua Cake
1 box devils food w/pudding cake mix
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 cup Kahlua
2 teaspoons cocoa

Preheat to 350; pour in greased bundt cake pan.  Bake 40-50 min until toothpick is clean
Cool completely before icing

Icing
2/3 cup milk (half and half or evaporated milk); reserve some milk and use if necessary
1 stick butter
12 oz chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
Bag of confectioner's sugar

Melt butter, chocolate chips, milk and vanilla (Don't put all of the milk in; reserve some to adjust the consistency of the icing).
Beat in confectioner's sugar.  You will have to beat and then let it cool some and then beat/cool until the icing gets thick.  Don't worry; the icing will get thick but it does take longer than expected.  If the icing gets too thick, add remaining milk.  You want the consistency to be a thick but pourable icing. 

Pour icing over cake.  (If the icing isnít thick enough it will run and if itís too thick, youíll have to spread it over the cake.)

twinkletoes

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Oh, that sounds lovely! I'll have to try it.