Author Topic: Driving and Car Etiquette  (Read 43460 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Driving and Car Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2010, 01:24:20 PM »
I moved to Houston in 2006 - I am still learning which sections of which NUMBERED highways & streets are called by other names during traffic reports or when friends are giving me instructions on how to get somewhere.

It can be *interesting* (as well as confusing) to realize how many names one "street" has as it goes across town..............or around town, in the case of some of the loops.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
I moved to Houston in 2006 - I am still learning which sections of which NUMBERED highways & streets are called by other names during traffic reports or when friends are giving me instructions on how to get somewhere.

It can be *interesting* (as well as confusing) to realize how many names one "street" has as it goes across town..............or around town, in the case of some of the loops.

Old streets that now merge/run into each other because there are now bridges over the bayous that weren't there before the mid 70's can make things very confusing.

I've had to tell more people than I can count that they weren't on Memorial anymore, they were on San Felipe. Memorial curves off north at a light (just after you pass Kinkaid) and if you go straight you go over a bridge and hit San Felipe. I know that bridge wasn't there when me moved into the area in 72, it came a few years later.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2010, 01:56:04 PM »
In Houston, it's not just the numbered highways that have multiple names...it's also the streets.

For example, Bellaire becomes Holcombe, Studemont becomes Montrose, Wirt becomes Chimney Rock, North Braeswood becomes South Braeswood and South Braeswood becomes Stella Link, and there are plenty of other examples.  You really have to know where you are and where you're going.

But that's also true in much of NYC, especially in Lower Manhattan and the outer boroughs.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2010, 04:52:01 PM »
In Houston, it's not just the numbered highways that have multiple names...it's also the streets.

For example, Bellaire becomes Holcombe, Studemont becomes Montrose, Wirt becomes Chimney Rock, North Braeswood becomes South Braeswood and South Braeswood becomes Stella Link, and there are plenty of other examples.  You really have to know where you are and where you're going.

But that's also true in much of NYC, especially in Lower Manhattan and the outer boroughs.

If you look at a map/old maps you see that in many cases these streets either cross current/former city lines. Many neighborhoods were once independent cities (The Heights for example that is why the area is still dry - it is in the original city charter)

As Houston engulfed the towns streets were connected, even if the cities weren't annexed (Belliare, Piney Point, Hedwick, Bunker Hill, Spring Valley). Also when the highway traffic got busy enough to need overpasses some streets were moved over to make the pattern of on ramps, over passes, off ramps work better. Voss was moved over that is why you have that section called old Voss. Memorial cut Piney Point in two and now you have that little section called S. Piney Point that Vargos is on (actually most people just call it Fondren because it dead ends into Fondren right about in front of Vargos) Wirt is in Spring Valley (Do not speed there) Chimney Rock is in Houston. 90A is Called Old Main because it was originally Houston's Main Street.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:55 AM »
Speaking of street names, when dealing with Google maps or giving people our address over the phone, we used to have a hard time with our former street name.   It was a through street and even on either end the signs were printed differently.   One read Plumtree Dr, the other read Plum Tree Dr.   If we told someone Plumtree as one word they couldn't find it, but they could find Plum Tree. 

My husband tends to refer to streets by their route names, where applicable.  I tend to use their names but if giving directions from the highway I'll say "Take exit such and such B onto route whatever north" but will also tell them that route whatever is also referred to as Rivername Ave.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

claddagh lass

« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
Don't play potentially dangerous pranks on your passenger.

My ex-boyfriend once thought it would be funny to do suddenly swerve from side to side with me in the passenger seat.  I was wearing a seatbelt but I still ended up hitting the side of my head against the glass window.

I ended up with a welt on my temple and he thought it was hysterical.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Don't play potentially dangerous pranks on your passenger.

My ex-boyfriend once thought it would be funny to do suddenly swerve from side to side with me in the passenger seat.  I was wearing a seatbelt but I still ended up hitting the side of my head against the glass window.

I ended up with a welt on my temple and he thought it was hysterical.

Glad he's your ex!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:16 PM »
Even more so - don't play pranks on the driver.

DD was in the car when an idjit in the back seat decided to put her hands over the driver's eyes and holler "guess who"?

Her date, the driver, and the front seat passenger took turns chewing her out - then told her that the next prank (of any kind) was going to get her put out of the car to walk home......because she wasn't going to put all three of them PLUS any other vehicles in their vicinity on the road in danger.

I understand that she sulked because "they weren't any fun" but she kept her hands in the back seat after that.

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2010, 04:53:49 AM »
Even more so - don't play pranks on the driver.
DD was in the car when an idjit in the back seat decided to put her hands over the driver's eyes and holler "guess who"?

Her date, the driver, and the front seat passenger took turns chewing her out - then told her that the next prank (of any kind) was going to get her put out of the car to walk home......because she wasn't going to put all three of them PLUS any other vehicles in their vicinity on the road in danger.

I understand that she sulked because "they weren't any fun" but she kept her hands in the back seat after that.

No, definantly not. Do not yell TRAIN! as the driver is about to cross a railway line with the boomgates up.
Stewart/Colbert '16

AreaWoman

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »

2)  Pay attention to crosswalks and other places pedestrians might be present.

I would just like to emphasize/expand on this one.  Drivers should not inch into the crosswalk while pedestrians are there.  I have a neurological problem that occasionally causes me to fall down unexpectedly, even though I look perfectly normal.  It makes me extremely nervous to have drivers get so close to me, which makes it more likely I will fall!

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2010, 04:23:55 PM »
I can't believe no one's mentioned this simple rule:

Do NOT shave your hoo-ha while driving.

http://keysnews.com/node/21349
Words mean things.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2010, 04:28:16 PM »

It is hard to believe that anyone would put THIS grooming task off until they were driving........sheesh...........next thing you know they'll have to invent a stain remover to get hair dye out of leather seat upholstery as someone decides to use their 20 minute commute to touch up the gray in their hair......or something.

Sheesh again.

marcel

« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:16 AM »

And I thought men shaving their face while driving was bad.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

rhirhi

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »

While I have not done this, I must admit that I have changed clothes (including bra and shorts) while driving on the interstate. But I made it on time to my track meet, goldurnit!

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:06 PM »

While I have not done this, I must admit that I have changed clothes (including bra and shorts) while driving on the interstate. But I made it on time to my track meet, goldurnit!
Mom proudly recounts the time in the late 60s when she was coming from a job interview and changed from dress, slip, and hose to jeans and a button down while driving.   :o  She can't understand why I see this as a bad thing.