Author Topic: How far do I need to go to accomodate special dietary needs ?  (Read 9911 times)

freakyfemme

Re: How far do I need to go to accomodate special dietary needs ?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 12:01:02 PM »
If she asks again about the lasagna, give her the recipe and let her try and make a low-salt version herself.

Amen to this!!

And why is wifey-pooh the one asking? BIL is a grownup. He should be whining on his own behalf, although from the OP's description, he doesn't seem to have an issue with finding things to eat (whether they're on his diet or not). There are some weird little power plays happening here. Should make for an interesting holiday.

Keep us posted. ;)

Is it possible that the wife is more concerned with BIL following his low-sodium diet than he is, and is afraid that he'll eat the "bad" food anyway, thereby endangering his health?  That's not an excuse to be rude like that, of course, but I think there's a good chance that the wife asked without prompting from BIL, in a misguided attempt to make it "easier" for him to follow the diet......but sometimes that's just the way things are, if BIL is supposed to be eating low sodium, then maybe he just *can't* have his pizza night and Christmas lasagna too.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »

My evil twin wonders if maybe she is trying to ruin your lasagna?  Since she is really, really familiar with low/no salt foods, then she knows how no salt lasagna will taste.  She has probably been hearing her family salivate over the prospect of your lasagna. 

Next time she asked something like this, My evil twin would probably reply, "Why don't you just bring Tortillas for him to eat?"

momtwosix

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 02:00:54 PM »
celiacs disease is an immunological disease. The person's body is missing the enzyme to break down wheat and gluten. If the person ingests these the body will send out antibodies which end up attack the intestines. The symptoms include diarrhea, constipation , bloating stomach aches and sometimes behavior changes.

My 8 yr old has it. Two of my sils have it. Whenever we eat over any of my il's they always make sure there is stuff that is safe for her to eat.

If she is invited to a birthday party I provide her cupcake adn pizza. I also let the hostess know which snacks are safe for her to eat.

I never ask any one to change their menu, I just make sure dd has something to eat.
mom to 6 and 3 in heaven