News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• January 31, 2015, 02:19:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Complete Silence and Raised Eyebrows - Success!  (Read 1641 times)

NFPwife

Complete Silence and Raised Eyebrows - Success!
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
I left for a business trip late Sunday and woke up Monday morning, away from home, with UTI symptoms. I was in a ton of pain and decided to manage symptoms, call my PCP to see if they'd call something in and make it through the day and either pick up a called in script or go to urgent care in the evening.

I went to big box store grabbed pyridium, acetaminophen, cranberry pills, and a huge bottle of water. It was early and there was only one checkout open. I was hoping the woman in front of me would have a little mercy and let me in front of her medium-large order. She didn't and, right or wrong, I was aggravated by that. Neither her nor the checker were in any hurry. The checker was commenting on every other item she checked out. Checker asked who the New Direction DVD was for and "Oh, Wrangler's making some cute jeans" (while holding jeans up,) customer was engaging in a back and forth on these things. She gave no indication that the cashier should stop commenting.

I was miserable. This interaction would annoy me on a good day, and it was 100 times worse when I didn't feel well. I opened up the packages and took a couple of every pill and drank half the water.

Cashier then is checking me out and said, (I still can't believe she said this) "Looks like someone had a good weekend." I raised my eyebrows and was completely silent. I don't think I spoke for the rest of the interaction, either. While the cashier didn't say anything non-transaction related, she also didn't acknowledge that she stepped over the line. The transaction went a lot faster, though!

Hurricane Marathon

Re: Complete Silence and Raised Eyebrows - Success!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »
I know your point is the inappropriate "...had a good weekend" part but I have a funny story about cashiers commenting on your purchase:

While on a road trip through Arizona I developed a yeast infection so my husband and I stopped at a drug store in Tucson.  He got a few things and I got some yeast infection medication.  The cashier goes "You want this in separate bags?"  My husband goes "YES" while I just laughed.  The cashier looked at me with a perfectly deadpan expression and said "Wouldn't want him to get ... the cooties."   ;D

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22:32 PM »
Wow! The cashier was not only inappropriate but doesn't know a whole lot a about health conditions, does she?

Hope you managed the business trip successfully.

It's Friday now, so I can hope you are all better.

I didn't know UTI is painful until I had one a couple of years ago.

NFPwife

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
I know your point is the inappropriate "...had a good weekend" part but I have a funny story about cashiers commenting on your purchase:

While on a road trip through Arizona I developed a yeast infection so my husband and I stopped at a drug store in Tucson.  He got a few things and I got some yeast infection medication.  The cashier goes "You want this in separate bags?"  My husband goes "YES" while I just laughed.  The cashier looked at me with a perfectly deadpan expression and said "Wouldn't want him to get ... the cooties."   ;D

That's funny.

I might have even played along on mine or at least been able to laugh if I hadn't been so miserable and she hadn't gone so ridiculously slow. Loss of sense of humor is one of my first symptoms any time I'm sick.

Wow! The cashier was not only inappropriate but doesn't know a whole lot a about health conditions, does she?

Hope you managed the business trip successfully.

It's Friday now, so I can hope you are all better.

I didn't know UTI is painful until I had one a couple of years ago.

Thanks. This happened about a 6 weeks ago the "What have you learned thread" got me thinking about it. Ehell popped in my head when I went for complete silence. I actually messed around with what I think was the same infection (this was round 2 of 3 that came in back to back) until the doc gave me an antibiotic with a black box warning label. That killed it. (The side effects and warnings were no joke, but I'd take it again in a heartbeat.)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »

No - I think she was thinking that the poster got the UTI a different way. They are called a honeymoon disease for a reason.

crella

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:40 PM »
*forehead slap* I was thinking she thought the OP had a hangover :o

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
When I was having my own constant UTIs, I was doing some internet browsing on the subject. Lots of women get them without any vigorous games of scrabble involved. Some get very frustrated trying to convince their doctors that different scrabble techniques will not solve the problem, when the scrabble board has never been brought out in the first place.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

NFPwife

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
*forehead slap* I was thinking she thought the OP had a hangover :o

:D That cracked me up.

When I was having my own constant UTIs, I was doing some internet browsing on the subject. Lots of women get them without any vigorous games of scrabble involved. Some get very frustrated trying to convince their doctors that different scrabble techniques will not solve the problem, when the scrabble board has never been brought out in the first place.

I have a prescription for a post-Scrabble antibiotic. (Not that it's any of the cashier's business.) The reality is I have a narrow urethra and have to have a medical intervention every year or so. Once I have three significant infections, it's time to have the procedure. This seemed like one infection that I had been fooling with for several months, though, so I counted it as recurrences of the same infection not as new infections.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:28 PM »
Locked due to TMI.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.