Author Topic: Too "overweight" to attend a wedding  (Read 15945 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Too "overweight" to attend a wedding
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »
*loud annoying buzzer sound*  Sorry, you lost the friendship with that remark!  You lose! No present for you!

I agree with the others.  This is not any kind of a friend.  Dump her immediately, if not sooner.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:35 PM »
An etiquette book, used, from the local thrift shop, with a lovely book plate with some other bride's name in it would be sent to the bride who told me something like that. 

Snarky and Evil would be the ones shopping for it and they have a very small tolerance for that sort of thing anymore...menopause seems to reduce your ability to deal with nonsense.  I'm not sure if it is related to a rise in relative male hormones, a drop in the amount of female hormones, or just the realization that this person's nonsense is just too danged much to deal with during a hot flash.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Minmom3

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2014, 11:34:50 PM »
***menopause seems to reduce your ability to deal with nonsense.***

In my case, it's not so much the ability to deal with nonsense, as it is the willingness to do so.  I ain't willin' no mo'!!!   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2014, 01:17:48 AM »
***menopause seems to reduce your ability to deal with nonsense.***

In my case, it's not so much the ability to deal with nonsense, as it is the willingness to do so.  I ain't willin' no mo'!!!   >:(

If I'm not willing to deal with nonsense, then I'm not able to deal with nonsense. 

I do have one strong spine about some kinds of nonsense - maybe not shiny...but I will say that I am not able to deal with that right now, so no, we are not going to do that.  If they get back to me later with a plan for them to deal with the nonsense, their plans might have a chance of going through...but not if I have to deal with the nonsense.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

callalily

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:38 PM »
Well, at least she was open with you.

I'd much rather get 'you're too fat,' than 'Um, I really think you'll be uncomfortable because... um, there will be lots and lots of people you won't know, and I sure don't want you sitting there not knowing anybody,' or 'Gosh, I'm SO sorry, but my fiance's mother invited the entire starting line-up of the Philadelphia Flyers, and I know how much you hate hockey.'

I've gotten similar veiled messages in the past, and stupidly, I didn't read between the lines.  I'd be all 'well, I can come earlier, or wear something different, or not bring my boyfriend, or... '  I'd have much rather the person just came out with what she wanted to say, i.e. 'I don't want you there.'

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2014, 05:04:14 PM »
There is something to be said for an answer that tells you, in unmistakeable terms, what kind of person you're dealing with. That way you can drop them from your life with no lingering feelings of guilt.
~Lynn2000

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2014, 07:43:04 PM »
"Why weren't you at X's wedding?"

"I wasn't invited."

"Not invited???? But why?"

"She said I was too overweight."

And send her a note saying that you're too heavy, and she's too nasty, for you to even consider attending her shower.
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.