Author Topic: Making assumptions about wedding plans  (Read 648 times)

c3r3n1ty

Making assumptions about wedding plans
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:37:40 AM »
Wasn't sure where to post so I've put this in here. I had a bit of a head-scratcher incident at a work lunch recently where I was dining with three of my colleagues and three other contacts that I had never met before. The fact that I am getting married came up. One of the men I didn’t know asked me if we had set a date yet. I said that we hadn't, that we were going to be spontaneous at some point next year and plan something more 'last minute'. This man proceeds to make several comments about how we must not be too sure about getting married to want to do things ‘last minute’ and we must be wanting to keep our plans ‘loose’ in case we decided we don’t actually want marry each other. I was a bit taken aback but laughed it off. When we went to leave, this same man wished me luck with my wedding, if it ever happens. Well, thanks. I guess. I just shook his hand and left, but now I'm wondering if I could have said anything that kept the mood professional (this was a work lunch) but still let him know I found his comments inappropriate?

BeagleMommy

Re: Making assumptions about wedding plans
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
Wow.  That's completely bizarre.  Part of me is thinking that this man was ditched by a fiancée who wanted to "wing it" as far as a wedding was concerned.

I think silence was the best option.

BTW, my great aunt and uncle drove to Florida and eloped when they were young.  They were married nearly 60 years.

Kaymar

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
That is very odd and very rude of him.  The one thing you could have done, that I would advise for the future, would be not to give any information about your wedding in a work context.  Obviously he asked a direct question, to which the best answer would have been "Oh, not yet." and then changing the subject to something else.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 11:25:28 AM »
That is odd. I wonder what his experience was that made him think that? DH and I were officially engaged on New Years, and got married on Valentines Day the same year, not every wedding takes a year to plan. It'll be ten years for us in Feb!