Author Topic: I know the host sets the menu but...  (Read 3905 times)

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
Re: I know the host sets the menu but...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 04:25:37 PM »
Momof2boys, I agree, and I so understand the difficulty you face here. It is rather unfair and undermining of her to do such a thing to a 6 year old.  I wish for you a confident decision and peace of mind about it, in this situation. 
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
What's fried bologna?

minnaloushe

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
What's fried bologna?

Bologna: processed sandwich meat product.  Very plain and bland. Popular with kids.
Fried: cooked in a frying pan with med. to high heat.

Really yummy, not good for you at all.

To Mom2boys:  As stated before this is a great opportunity to put the new plan into action.  Do you use the red-, yellow-, green-light method, or something else?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:49:20 PM by minnaloushe »

ncognito

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 07:06:37 PM »
What's fried bologna?

Bologna: processed sandwich meat product.  Very plain and bland. Popular with kids.
Fried: cooked in a frying pan with med. to high heat.

Really yummy, not good for you at all.

To Mom2boys:  As stated before this is a great opportunity to put the new plan into action.  Do you use the red-, yellow-, green-light method, or something else?

I'm not sure what the red-, yellow-, green-light method is but I'd be interested in hearing about it because it sounds like a concept that son might grasp (hey mom might grasp it too, lol). BTW, great way to explain fried bologna. Son sure loves it and thinks it is yummy but I think his 6 year tase buds needs some adjusting (he hates steak, ribs, beef roast...heck he won't even eat french fries).

minnaloushe

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 07:18:07 PM »
It's an easy way to explain the concept of healthy eating to children in a way they can understand.  Green light foods are the "Good for you" choices, that kids can have as much as they'd like: Fruits, veggies, whole grain breads, things like that.  Yellow light foods are those you have occasionally, but not as regular foods such as grilled cheese, canned soups (salt), etc.  Red light foods are those you have very rarely, such as chips, chocolate bars, milkshakes, processed desserts (twinkies, ding-dongs), pizza...

Here's a link with more information (I hope this is okay?)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6417725

ncognito

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »
It's an easy way to explain the concept of healthy eating to children in a way they can understand.  Green light foods are the "Good for you" choices, that kids can have as much as they'd like: Fruits, veggies, whole grain breads, things like that.  Yellow light foods are those you have occasionally, but not as regular foods such as grilled cheese, canned soups (salt), etc.  Red light foods are those you have very rarely, such as chips, chocolate bars, milkshakes, processed desserts (twinkies, ding-dongs), pizza...

Here's a link with more information (I hope this is okay?)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6417725

Thank you so much. I have had trouble finding a way to make these distinctions to son but he will really grasp this. I am really proud of him for wanting to make changes but at 6 there is still a lot that doesn't register (like his plan was for every weinee he ate he would run one lap around the house and he thought that would make it okay). I think that is why I am so upset with mom...she knows that he wants to change but she also knows that he doesn't completely get how bad his favorite foods are so of course he is going to ask for them when given free reign.

Him & I are now going to go draw red, green and yellow circles on things in the fridge/cabinets. Thank you again for the info.

ETA: This is really going to thrill him because oddly enough he LOVES fresh fruit but doesn't eat many sweets to begin with (his weakness is fried stuff and potato chips).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 07:30:49 PM by MomOf2Boys »

minnaloushe

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:29 PM »
Yes, the sticker idea is great, not only will it give him a visual clue for home, but he will take that forward into the future.  A friend uses that method with her son, and now at 7 1/2 he knows which are "red" and which are "green" foods before they buy them.  She's lucky, because he doesn't care a lot for sweets, but he loves his fried stuff, so it really helps!

BittyB

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 11:37:50 PM »
Ohhhhh, I love that!  Red light, green light, yellow light...  I don't have any children yet, but as an adult fighting with bad eating habits and learning to make healthier choices, you can sure bet I'm going to try to remember that for my kids!  Something easy that sticks... :D

minnaloushe

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 10:21:55 AM »
Ohhhhh, I love that!  Red light, green light, yellow light...  I don't have any children yet, but as an adult fighting with bad eating habits and learning to make healthier choices, you can sure bet I'm going to try to remember that for my kids!  Something easy that sticks... :D

Why wait? Put it into practice now, and you won't have to try to remember it, it will be your way of life, something your kids will grow up with.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »

Why wait? Put it into practice now, and you won't have to try to remember it, it will be your way of life, something your kids will grow up with.

That is a fabulous idea. I don't have kids either but I bet I could use that for myself.

Man, I love fried bologna....*DROOL*

BittyB

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 10:48:05 AM »
I was actually just thinking about that!  "Hey, I bet I can get colored stickers at the store for pretty cheap and then just spend an hour or so labelling every food item I can find in here!  Would that be really dorky for a 25 yo?  Who cares!"   :D

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 11:21:29 AM »
This isn't about the host setting the menu, but your Mom undermining your decisions as a parent. Tell Mom "Since you can't respect my parenting decisions, we will not be at the dinner".

I absolutely agree, either that, or worse she's deliberately setting a six year old up for disappointment. 

minnaloushe

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 01:12:03 PM »
But can you imagine Grandma's face when Grandson says, "Sorry Grandma, that's a Red Light Food, I can't have any today, but thank you! May I please have some celery with peanut butter and raisins?"

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 09:15:27 PM »
"Mom, I appreciate that you want to make your grandson happy, but you aren't helping him by catering to his whims.  Please, don't give him veto power over the meal."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2007, 09:27:58 PM »
This is tough because she wants to spoil her grandkid and all grandparents are allowed that to some degree. But she is also completely undermining you and making your son's life harder. But I doubt she sees it this way.

I would send her the definition of an enabler and explain why this isn't a healthy choice in your son's life. And good for you for taking charge of the situation. It's going to be a tough road and this is your first major battle.