Author Topic: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related  (Read 20136 times)

MelofOdd

I feel so bad for you- tattoo related
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:43:20 AM »
   Ok b/k I speak enough Japanese to carry on a polite conversation however I write enough Japanese to write a 2 page letter to my penpal in Tokyo.

I recently got a tattoo in Japanese for Eternal love on my arm. /b/k

We were at Marsh (a grocers) and as I was helping my dad bag up the groceries the lady at the check out goes 'Wow I feel so bad for you!'  I admit I probably gave her a 'what the heck look' because she continued and said 'All you people getting weird languages on yourselves without even knowing the language. You probably have curse words written on you right now'

I looked at her and shook my head and said 'That's an Interesting assumption.'

At this time my dad kind of made a funny kind of chortle noise and we finished bagging up and left.

One Fish, Two Fish

Re: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:58:17 AM »

You should have said it in Japanese. :)  That would have blown her mind.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Shortcake

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »
You know, I wonder why some people can't keep their opinions to themselves? She came off as narrow minded and rude because she made an assumption about someone she doesn't even know!

She was even more insulting by calling it a "weired" language! Very Rude!

I am glad you took the high road! You came of looking much classier than she did.

It is hard  sometimes for me  to just say "What an interesting assumption." and not get defensive and try to explain myself. That only starts a debate or argument.
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »
I get that all the time with my STYX shirt. I am too young to have been around in thier high holy days so people just assume I don't even know who they are. I have learned that all you can say is "that's an interesting assumption" and move on.

You came out smelling like a rose. Good for you.

MelofOdd

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
I get that all the time with my STYX shirt. I am too young to have been around in thier high holy days so people just assume I don't even know who they are. I have learned that all you can say is "that's an interesting assumption" and move on.

You came out smelling like a rose. Good for you.

Ohh I love Styx!!!

I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise
They climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies
Singing come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me
Come sail away, come sail away
Come sail away with me

But I get that about me telling people I listen to the Scorpions so I 100% understand

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
I was in line at the grocery store with my two boys who were of course asking for things I wouldn't get.   The younger of the two was begging for water and I kept telling him he could get some when we got home, as we were going straight home after that errand.   

Now, I'm a classic rock fan, with the Stones being one of my favorite bands.   I play them alot, especially around the boys, so they can learn what good music is!  LOL.

On this day I was in a bit of a punchy mood, and annoyed with my younger son because he insisted on coming with us (dh was home) and then whined about being bored.  While in line, I told ds2 "Remember what the Stones say. 'You can't always get what you want.'"  The guy in front of me said "Like they're familiar with the Stones!"

I wasn't thinking of "What an interesting assumption" but I did smile and say "Actually they are, and it's one of his favorite songs of theirs!"   

He then complimented me on teaching my children about good music.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Allibaby

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »
This got me thinking about a conversation I overheard at the Rennassiance Fair last weekend.  We were waiting for one of the shows to start and about in the row behind us were two ladies who were for some reason talking about tattoos.  I wish I could remember everything they said but basically they were saying they would never ever get one and couldn't understand people who not only got them but got lots and lots of them.  One of them said "I guess once they get one they get addicted" which is true for some people I know but I actually got miffed.  I guess I thought it was absurd that they spoke like they were the authority on tattoos (again you'd have to hear the whole conversation).  My husband has 4 of them, I have 1 (ours were covered so they didn't see that the couple in front of them has some).  We, like everyone who has one had our own reasons for getting them.  But like many people out there in the world they have their own interesting assumptions on something they don't really know alot about.

chibichan

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
[quote author=Allibaby link=topic=54419.msg1415908#msg1415908 date=1245698334
 I guess I thought it was absurd that they spoke like they were the authority on tattoos (again you'd have to hear the whole conversation). 
[/quote]

LOL.

This made me remember 2 older ladies I used to work with.  I stepped into the room as they were finishing up a rather catty conversation about a woman and her daughter.

CatLady #1 : You know , that daughter of hers just runs wild , no supervision from her Mother at all . She'll come to
                                            bad end , mark my words !

CatLady #2 : Well , the Mother is just as bad , going to parties all day and night and never disciplining the child.
                                            She doesn't do a thing about her behavior . It's shamefull !

After a few more minutes of indepth critique of the woman's parenting skills , they went on to lambaste the rest of the family .

It was then that I realized they were talking about ....Princess Grace of Monaco .

The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

BunnyChan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »
I have several visible tattoos, and I get rude comments on occasion i.e.: "What are you going to do when you're old and your skin gets saggy?" "How did you find a job?" I normally thank them for their concern, and smile. One of my friends has a saying, the difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't is that the people that are tattooed don't care if you have them or not.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
One of my friends has a saying, the difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't is that the people that are tattooed don't care if you have them or not.

That's an interesting assumption.

When I got my first tattoo, I figured I would get a lecture from my grandparents. They never said a word about it. Neither of them has tattoos.

My SO doesn't have tattoos. In fact, his religion forbids ear piercing, forget tattoos. But the topic never came up between us until I brought it up.

I have one tattoo on the back of my left shoulder and one on my right breast. There's no telling how many friends, relatives, medical professionals, restaurant/store employees, people at the gym, and random passerby on the street have seen or at least glimpsed one or both of my tattoos, in Dallas and in markedly less conservative Toronto. Yet despite the nationalist nature of my shoulder tattoo, the only "comments" I've ever gotten on my tattoos were from people I've gone out of my way to show them to.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:34:58 PM by Solumbra »

audrey1962

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
One of my friends has a saying, the difference between people that have tattoos and people that don't is that the people that are tattooed don't care if you have them or not.

When I got my first tattoo, I figured I would get a lecture from my grandparents. They never said a word about it. Neither of them has tattoos.

This relates to the OP as well:

My sister attended a family party in a tank top that visibly showed a very large tattoo, the Chinese symbol for horse, on her back. She smiled, "I can't wait to shock Grandma! She's going to be so upset." It was definitely said in a "in-your-face" way.

Granmda arrived, saw my sister and asked, "Anna, what's that say on your back?"
Sister smiled, "It's Chinese for horse."
Grandma replied, "oh, I thought it said Kick Me."

Grandma laughed. Sister didn't.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 12:49:35 PM »

Love it!  :D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Cherry

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 09:08:15 PM »

^ This. She would probably never ask that sort of question again.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »

Indeed it is. I don't have tattoos, and I couldn't care less who does or doesn't have them.

Tiramisu

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 11:33:48 PM »

Teehee

OP I had the same thing happen years ago before my days at EHell.  One of my tattoos is on my ankle and in Japanese.  A lady I worked with saw it and said "What does it mean?"  Before I could answer she said "I bet you don't even know, they could have written anything there - it is probably a swear word that they put on you to be funny, you should ask a Japanese person".

When I got a word in I just said "It says Ankle"