Author Topic: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related  (Read 20186 times)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
Re: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »

I looked at her and shook my head and said 'That's an Interesting assumption.'

You should have said it in Japanese. :)  That would have blown her mind.

Teehee

OP I had the same thing happen years ago before my days at EHell.  One of my tattoos is on my ankle and in Japanese.  A lady I worked with saw it and said "What does it mean?"  Before I could answer she said "I bet you don't even know, they could have written anything there - it is probably a swear word that they put on you to be funny, you should ask a Japanese person".

When I got a word in I just said "It says Ankle"

Now I totally want a tattoo that says Ankle in some language on my ankle. And I never really wanted a tattoo... well, except on my ankle  ;D

(and no, I don't care about who has a tattoo or how many, I like tattoos, I think they can be really pretty and cool and all. One of my very favorite people ever, had two really bad tattoos, and now, bad tattoos make me think of him, so I even like those)

Switcher

• Flying one eyed cat, RAWR
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »
I never got weird assumptions about my tattoos in California... but when I moved to Mississippi, suddenly everyone had an opinion about what tattoos meant.

Best one ever...I had an older woman move away from me at a church thing once. I didn't understand why, until later I heard her talking to one of her friends during the hand shaking thing. As her friend started in my direction, the other woman actually grabbed her arm and said "She's covered in tattoos and piecings, she probably has aids." Now this wasn't some ignorant 18 year old, this was a woman at least in her 60's.

Peoples logic always confuses me.

Hillia

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
[quote author=Allibaby link=topic=54419.msg1415908#msg1415908 date=1245698334
 I guess I thought it was absurd that they spoke like they were the authority on tattoos (again you'd have to hear the whole conversation). 

LOL.

This made me remember 2 older ladies I used to work with.  I stepped into the room as they were finishing up a rather catty conversation about a woman and her daughter.

CatLady #1 : You know , that daughter of hers just runs wild , no supervision from her Mother at all . She'll come to
                                            bad end , mark my words !

CatLady #2 : Well , the Mother is just as bad , going to parties all day and night and never disciplining the child.
                                            She doesn't do a thing about her behavior . It's shamefull !

After a few more minutes of indepth critique of the woman's parenting skills , they went on to lambaste the rest of the family .

It was then that I realized they were talking about ....Princess Grace of Monaco .

[/quote]

I was thinking Mrs. Johnson...'It's reported you've been drinking and a-runnin' round with men and goin' wild'.. (Harper Valley PTA)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Firecat

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 01:53:32 PM »
I don't have tattoos, and don't really care if other people do - I've seen some that I thought were really cool and beautiful. But I've also heard of tattoos that didn't exhibit great planning. Like a young lady who got a butterfly tattooed on her abdomen...and then got pregnant. I'll leave the results to your imaginations  >:D

FunkyMunky

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »

Teehee

OP I had the same thing happen years ago before my days at EHell.  One of my tattoos is on my ankle and in Japanese.  A lady I worked with saw it and said "What does it mean?"  Before I could answer she said "I bet you don't even know, they could have written anything there - it is probably a swear word that they put on you to be funny, you should ask a Japanese person".

Do you really have the word for 'ankle' tattooed on your ankle? If so, that's about 7 kinds of awesome.

I saw an acquaintance of mine wearing a spaghetti-string top, and for the first time saw the tattoo on her shoulder. I asked her why she'd chosen the kanji for 'power' for her tattoo. Sadly, she'd picked it because 'it looked cool'.

rockchalk

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:49 AM »
I don't have tattoos, and don't really care if other people do - I've seen some that I thought were really cool and beautiful. But I've also heard of tattoos that didn't exhibit great planning. Like a young lady who got a butterfly tattooed on her abdomen...and then got pregnant. I'll leave the results to your imaginations  >:D

For me, personally, this wouldn't be a problem. When getting a tattoo, I always figure it won't stay the same as when it first got done. That's part of what is so fabulous about it! It grows, and changes, and warps, and fades, and gets wrinkly - Just like I will. It's part of me, and once I get one, (although super pretty at first! And believe me, I admire it from all angles for it's aesthetics!), and have had it for awhile, it's no longer "oooh! Look! Pretty!!!11!!" It's just....a part of me.

Make sense? Lol. I've tried to explain this before, and have failed every other time, so if it doesn't, I can definitely try again! :)

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:17 AM »

For me, personally, this wouldn't be a problem. When getting a tattoo, I always figure it won't stay the same as when it first got done. That's part of what is so fabulous about it! It grows, and changes, and warps, and fades, and gets wrinkly - Just like I will. It's part of me, and once I get one, (although super pretty at first! And believe me, I admire it from all angles for it's aesthetics!), and have had it for awhile, it's no longer "oooh! Look! Pretty!!!11!!" It's just....a part of me.

Make sense? Lol. I've tried to explain this before, and have failed every other time, so if it doesn't, I can definitely try again! :)

That is my favorite thing about my tattos. They are mine. They're right there embedded in my skin.

I got my first one on my solar plexus when 15 years ago. Back then i had a rack of a stomach and showing it off was fun.  Now i am a little older and less inclined to let that area show, but i still love it. It's mine. It still looks good, too, surprisingly. Everyone asked what would happen if i got fat or pregnant. I've gained and lost weight and it has mushed along with me.

My 2nd is on my calf. It is tiny and it looks horrible now. It mushed along with me as well, i guess. It started with very intricate lines that are completely indistinguishable now. It looks like a birthmark. Oh, well. It's mine. It's in embedded in me forever and even though it is my least favoriteof my tattoos i don't really want to mess with it and i don't regret it at all. If it was big or on my face i might feel differently.

The 3d is on the back of my neck and was all about getting a tattoo with an old friend i hadn't seen in a long time. We always talked about it when we were young, so we went and did it together. That was the last time i saw her. I hope she is doing well. Since it is on my neck i don't look at it much. It's just a black swirly thing that mushes along with my shoulder blades. Like the solar plexus one i thought it swirled along with my parts.

The 4th & 5th are a sun and moon i got on the front of each shoulder. They're also small. They're not well done. Frankly, they are bad tatoos. I got them on a pier in New Jersey for goodness sake. The moon is all black and looks like Pac-Man. It's like a negative of a solar eclipse but the lines aren't quite right. I love them. They're mine.

The 6th is tiny as well and just below the 3d, lower on my neck. It's particularly sentimental. It has made people think erroneous racist things about me in some situations. I still don't care. It's mine.

I love how all my tattoos are permanently stuck into Me. If i ever lose everything they'll always be there. Little pieces of me i chose to put there. I like that.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:13 AM »

I remember someone emailing me a picture of a woman probably in her late 60's walking around a beach in a bikini and she was absolutely covered in tattoos. The text in the email was something like "You'd better not get anymore tattoos or one day you're going to look like this. What do people think when they see this woman?!"

My first thought was "Wow, I'd love to talk to her, I bet she's had an interesting life. She looks like a very cool grandma".

Probably not the effect the email was supposed to have on me. Incidentally, I need to make another tattoo appointment.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

I remember someone emailing me a picture of a woman probably in her late 60's walking around a beach in a bikini and she was absolutely covered in tattoos.

Was her name Lydia?   :D

("You're welcome" to everyone for the earworm I've just given you...   >:D )

- saphie

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »
Well in fairness. . . it would rather suck to have a typo tattoo.

My step-father has a co-worker that tried to get "Crazy Horse" tattooed on him in Spanish,  then some random person saw it ask him why he had "Crazy Neck" tattooed on him.  For all we know the random guy was just messing with him, but either way, it would suck to wonder. 

I think one of my concerns would be that words can and do change over time. You could get something that evolves to mean something very different over time.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

I remember someone emailing me a picture of a woman probably in her late 60's walking around a beach in a bikini and she was absolutely covered in tattoos.

Was her name Lydia?   :D

("You're welcome" to everyone for the earworm I've just given you...   >:D )

- saphie

;D  One of Jim Henson's favorite songs. 

8 years ago my mother swore I'd regret my tattoo (the glyph for Leo on my lower back).  Don't regret it yet.   8)  She's not to keen on Sweet Pattootie's ink either. I love his tats.  They're so "him."  It's very weird for me to see older photos of him before the tattoos (on his arms & chest).  He looks naked without them. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

wheeitsme

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 05:47:58 PM »

Teehee

I've always been tempted to get one that says "Ouch" in Kanji...

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
I know a guy who's side is covered in tattoos, though his clothes cover all of it (when wearing long pants). He is over 60, has a huge dragon on his side, tattooed on him in Brazil many many years ago. My father went to him for advice when he wanted a tattoo too.
The funny part: This man is a RC priest, still in active duty. Most of the church goers there don't know of his tattoo's, but this knowledge always gave me a giggle. For the rest he looks like any 'normal guy'.

Just goes to show that tattoo's aren't just for wild/young/rebellious people. 

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
My sister attended a family party in a tank top that visibly showed a very large tattoo, the Chinese symbol for horse, on her back. She smiled, "I can't wait to shock Grandma! She's going to be so upset." It was definitely said in a "in-your-face" way.

Granmda arrived, saw my sister and asked, "Anna, what's that say on your back?"
Sister smiled, "It's Chinese for horse."
Grandma replied, "oh, I thought it said Kick Me."

Grandma laughed. Sister didn't.

Go Grandma!
The status is not quo!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »

Teehee

I've always been tempted to get one that says "Ouch" in Kanji...

I've been in love with afbluebelle's idea of a "Fierce Broccoli!" tattoo. I'd never get it but i love the idea.

My one that makes people think i am racist is a little clover. I know it is trite. I know! ...but my sister and i each got one after our last grandparent died. It's sentimental. I wasn't expecting the "Oh, you must be racist like me!" friendliness that came with it, but i don't feel bad about it and i hope no one feels bad for me over it. I can deal.

The one on my solar plexus i think people might have felt bad for me for. When i got it i was 22 and had awesome abs and wore t-shirts split up the middle just to show it. It was so pretty! People definitely asked, "What are you going to do when you get old and that's all saggy?" "What's going to happen to that when you get pregnant?" and other questions. My answer was along the lines of "Well, then i won't be showing off my stomach," and "I don't care. It's for me, not for other people to look at."

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem